Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7              35       36       end
  

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience
  
 
Geert Koning
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Today the mirror of my 5Dc fell off, fortunenately it can still be repaired under warranty. But maybe it is time to buy something new. I have a hard time deciding for myself if I would benefit much from the 5DIII AF and if not do I buy a 5DII for 1769 while it is still available or wait for the 6D.


Sep 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Xavier Rival
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience


The fall of a 5D mirror is not a serious failure as far as repair cost goes: they do pre-emptive mirror fixes with no question ask and for free (did mine last year in Paris). If this is the only issue with your 5D there must still be quite a lot of life in it. No rush to decide.


Sep 25, 2012 at 02:48 PM
ciprian.trofin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Geert Koning wrote:
Today the mirror of my 5Dc fell off, fortunenately it can still be repaired under warranty.

Warranty? Really? I thought 5Dc was long discontinued.



Sep 25, 2012 at 08:27 PM
abqnmusa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Canon covers the mirror fix under warranty because it was a known problem with the 5Dc.




Sep 25, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Yes. And this is a great offer imo for a product offered seven years ago and nearly 4 after 5D production stopped.

R.



Sep 26, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience


I am not able to upload pics to my webspace right now. That is why I set a link to my facebook account.
So here is a 6D pic I did on photokina during my test, that shows the body with attached 24-105 4.0 L. Imo it looks very smart and that is how it feels. With BG it should fit perfect in my hands.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4558423567627&set=a.4545305479683.2177205.1502654421&type=1&theater



Sep 28, 2012 at 06:15 PM
OntheRez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Ralph Conway wrote:
I am not able to upload pics to my webspace right now. That is why I set a link to my facebook account.
So here is a 6D pic I did on photokina during my test, that shows the body with attached 24-105 4.0 L. Imo it looks very smart and that is how it feels. With BG it should fit perfect in my hands.


Ralph, I really appreciate you continuing to give us real world information on this camera. Dang, that thing is small! I can see that, in and of itself, as attractive to a segment of the market.

I know you've been bashed a bit in this thread, but you are providing valuable data for those of us who will have to make a buying decision without ever having a chance to see or touch the camera. By "us," I'm referring to every photographer who doesn't live within reach of a large enough city to support a "real" camera store.

So thanks, and I for one am eagerly awaiting your "on the spot, in person" review of the the 6D when you get one. I certainly won't be making any moves until your experience is factored in.

Robert



Sep 28, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Ralph Conway wrote:
I tested my 5D II next to it and all outer points worked more reliable with 6d at same conditions.


Thanks for a valuable info Ralph. BTW, anybody got a spare hat to throw at my direction?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Sep 28, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience


OntheRez wrote:
Ralph, I really appreciate you continuing to give us real world information on this camera. Dang, that thing is small! I can see that, in and of itself, as attractive to a segment of the market.

I know you've been bashed a bit in this thread, but you are providing valuable data for those of us who will have to make a buying decision without ever having a chance to see or touch the camera. By "us," I'm referring to every photographer who doesn't live within reach of a large enough city to support a "real" camera store.

So thanks, and I
...Show more

A forum like Fred Mirandas is another mirror, Robert. Even more because it is more anonymous than real life. In most cases "bashing" reveals more information about the "basher" himself than about the bashed product or person. I remember well, when I was attacked as a fanboy when I mentioned that I am happy with Canon and especially with 5D II few years ago (and since).
I do not really care. Imo 5D II did not become one of the most successful midrange DSLRs because of beeing a bad, mediocre, crippled tool. The truth (my truth) is that it was just an excellent and affordable tool to take pictures for the last couple of years.

Here in germany 6D is pronounced "sex" D.
And that is what it feels like (again for me): pure sex. Reduced to the essential.

I am pretty sure this new body will be as succesful like 5D II if not overcome its success.
I am fascinated about this camera: small, lightweight, -3 EV, usable higher ISO and if its IQ convinces me I will be one of the early customers.

It would be a pleasure for me to share my experience with you and anybody, who is interested in.

Ralph



Sep 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM
anthonygh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience


All this speculation...before long the real live reviews will be available and all the wasted man hours on threads like this will be put in to perspective.......that perspective will be that these speculations have little to do with creating images.

The link between the latest gear and creating iconic / memorable images is...I would suggest...tenuous.

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions



Sep 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



thw2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Ralph Conway wrote:
I am pretty sure this new body will be as succesful like 5D II if not overcome its success.
I am fascinated about this camera: small, lightweight, -3 EV, usable higher ISO and if its IQ convinces me I will be one of the early customers.

It would be a pleasure for me to share my experience with you and anybody, who is interested in.
Ralph


If the 6D turns out to be truly successful, then it proves Canon marketing knows their customers more than web whiners and reviewers.

Like you, I shall be one of the early customers.




Sep 29, 2012 at 04:21 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience


anthonygh wrote:
All this speculation...before long the real live reviews will be available and all the wasted man hours on threads like this will be put in to perspective.......that perspective will be that these speculations have little to do with creating images.

The link between the latest gear and creating icon images is...I would suggest...tenuous.


Much truth in your last sentence, anthonygh.
The first part of your comment is not the way I think. You believe THERE IS something like wasted time? Men and women do what want can, want or think they have to do. Every second in their lifes.
The awareness of "wasting time" in reality is nothing else than using time reasonable for someones needs and to get the experience to act different in the future. You read and posted in this thread yourself, because you thought it was neccessary, right?

By the way. This thread is about a (my) real life review as far as it was possible to make. And it puts into "perspective" (whatever perspective this might be). And in my opinion all speculations that came from outside have lot to do with creating images or not doing it.

An example: finding out that -3 EV gives me higher capabilities to go out and shoot AL in cases that where not possible before will lead me to going out and doing it. Or else in stil sitting at home and thinking about it would be possible now if I would go out. - both and any further possibel choice will be part of my "development".

Anybody has to decide on his own, if any spend time was "wasted". It is always possible "after". And if one does because of the invested time it was not wasted but spent well.

Ralph





Sep 29, 2012 at 08:03 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience


thw2 wrote:
If the 6D turns out to be truly successful, then it proves Canon marketing knows their customers more than web whiners and reviewers.

Like you, I shall be one of the early customers.



So now we are a group.



Sep 29, 2012 at 08:05 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience


The german website "Traumflieger.de" shows a hands on video (in german) about 6D, done on "photokina" (starting at minute 29:53).

http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/videos/video_photokina_special_teil1.php

Nothing really new for those who already have seen or put there hands on it. But for me one part was really interesting. They show the possibility to controll the camera via wifi using a tablet. I said that I am not very interested in wifi before. But even to me it looks impressive.

Ralph



Sep 29, 2012 at 08:23 AM
AaronNegro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Thank you Ralph, if the AF of the 6D is as good as you say and the ISO is the same as the 5DIII, there are very few things for someone needing a 5DIII.

1-6fPS
2-100% VF
3-Top notch AF
4-CF+SD card reader
5-better build
6-2 extra MP

I wonder why Canon did not go for 20MP with the 5DIII so they could increase the FPS to 7 or 8 and give the 22MP sensor to the 6D and decrease the FPS to 4 offering the same specs.

Probably 1DX is key for that.



Sep 29, 2012 at 08:33 AM
stargazer78
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience


thw2 wrote:
If the 6D turns out to be truly successful, then it proves Canon marketing knows their customers more than web whiners and reviewers.




Didn't Canon already prove that with the 5D2? A lot of forum jockeys who criticized Canon's design choices in 2008 have a lot of crow to eat.




Sep 29, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience


D6 (to me) does not feel like a fast shot to compete any product. It felt like a well planed long time development to fill a newly created niche (by 5D II).
After offering the (again: imo) No. 1 flagschip camera this year was followed by the best all around camera and now by a FF entry one.
It has to offer something that is great to adress a market next to 5D III without hurting it. I guess to offer the "best" low light, street, in the field camera is a very good idea.

AaronNegro wrote:
1-6fPS
2-100% VF
3-Top notch AF
4-CF+SD card reader
5-better build
6-2 extra MP

I wonder why Canon did not go for 20MP with the 5DIII so they could increase the FPS to 7 or 8 and give the 22MP sensor to the 6D and decrease the FPS to 4 offering the same specs.

Probably 1DX is key for that.


Yes, 5D III has got the 1D X AF. A decission that feels plausible to me. Melting down the 1 series to 1 body only opens the way to offer a near by "pro" camera next to it, that fits many pros and "prosumers" wishes/needs.

6D got a new sensor (and as rumors tell) offering higher DR. Putting this into 5D III would attack 1D X sales even more. Instead they put it into the "new" AL leading camera in an already established price segment.

AaronNegro wrote:
1-6fPS
2-100% VF
3-Top notch AF
4-CF+SD card reader
5-better build
6-2 extra MP


For me:
1. nice to have but no need
2. same
3. same
4. only SD - I hate the idea
5. is it?
6. I would have been happy with 1D Xs 18 MP

It partly about needs, but imo even more about "wish to have" a 5D III.
You can not do wrong in purchasing one if you have and want to spend the money.
6D is targeted to those who do not want to. And to a special (small?) group of shooters whose needs look different and are not served by 5D III and 1D X.
If one can wants to spend 1200 for a 7D or 1800 for a 5D II a 6D is not far from his capabilities. A 5D III still is.
Talking to many collegues the last couple of month I found out that I am not the only one still using center AF and recompose. Most photographers shooting people still do.
But many of them want higher ISO and accurate AF at low light. Many of us are carrying around theire camera many hours a day and a smaller, lightweight body is very welcome if it is not to small (I do not feel comfortable with a xxxD in my hands).

What is missing now in the Canon offer is a high MP FF camera. I would not wonder if it is announced at the New York exhibition indeed, like 1D X was last year.

Ralph








Sep 29, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Ralph Conway wrote:
Here in germany 6D is pronounced "sex" D.
And that is what it feels like (again for me): pure sex. Reduced to the essential.


Well, when I think of "Pure sex" and "Reduced to the essential" linked together I think of having sex with the one I love best... and that, in turn, makes me wonder even more about the 6D....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Sep 29, 2012 at 06:04 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience


Yakim Peled wrote:
Well, when I think of "Pure sex" and "Reduced to the essential" linked together I think of having sex with the one I love best... and that, in turn, makes me wonder even more about the 6D....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


Canon bodies do feel mighty fine in the hand...but I much prefer me lady...I'll probably give the 6D a go tho



Sep 29, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience


I am a happy guy. My lady does not force me to decide between her and a sexy camera body
But she is shooting herself and from month to month she takes more often my beloved 5D II instead of her own 40D . I guess with 6D I have to create new rules for our relationship!

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions



Sep 29, 2012 at 06:35 PM
1       2       3              5      
6
       7              35       36       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7              35       36       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password