1       2       3       4      
       6              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

WebDog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Gochugogi wrote:
I'm a Forumographer and damn proud of it!

+1

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Sneakyracer wrote:
Yeah, but the silent shutter of the 5D3 is the quietest shutter I have ever heard on a DSLR. Its pretty amazing.
I though the one on my 1DS3 was smooth but this one takes the cake.

There are times when I'm shooting the 1Ds2 for a wedding in a quiet church, that feel as if I am cycling a pump action shotgun! It's an awesome shutter sound, but doesn't always fit with the moment!

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:47 AM
mojorisn

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph,

Thanks for the info. I am also very interested in the Tammy 24-70 2.8 DI VC USD. I especially wondering how the two (6D and Tamron lens) will do together, seems very promising!

Les

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

thanks for the review Ralph. Looks interesting.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Your putting your forumographer reputation on the line here Ralph.

Seriously though, if the 6D AF really is better than the 5d2 that would make things more interesting for sure. I'm more than a little skeptical though. Canon doesn't usually have a habit of underselling features, generally just the opposite.

Sep 22, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I think to find out the truth is an impossible thing with a camera not for sale on an exhibition. I will wait till it lands in the shelfs and in my hands for a real test to find out how it compares to 5D II, and III.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph sorry did not have the time to find you but i was at Tamron booth but not for long though.

My inpression with the new 6D is the outer shell material they used was similar to the 5D3 and it does not feel as plastic. The menu is more simplified and easy to navigate through than bot complex 5D3. The joystick that incorporate with the wheel works ok for me well it may take sometime to familiar with it but no problem for me. As for the AF as described by Ralph it is very good. Something that you could trust now. Using same technique as Ralph take a picture and check its sharpness on its LCD seems to be sharp. I tried focusing at the darker area and it doesnt seem to hunt and it just focus as my eye see it as sharp in focus. The lens attached was 40mm. Bit slow focusing but it is spot on.

The grip is different from the 5D3 as the latter feel a bit beefier and 6D feels like my 5Dc but very good on hand and light. In fact i quite like the 6D but i think i will upgrade to 5D3 as the price difference is not huge enough to be justified. 6D does feel like 5D3 little brother with similar feel exterior but it may not have the weather ability as 5D3 has. I am sure 6D will be a big hit to the market who wants an entry FF. You will not be disappointed by it.

Sorry for my english limitation as it is not my first language.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I would have loved to meet you, Robin.

So at least you feel with me in important things concerning 6D.
I tested my 5D II next to it and all outer points worked more reliable with 6d at same conditions. Plastic is only used for the upper body cover.

Here some additional information:
- I checked silent mode this morning, before the Canon booth was overcrowded and found it excellent.
- I did not check myself because I do not know the limitations of 5D IIIs auto ISO settings but I was told by three presentators from whome one I know since years, that it is equal to 5D III
- They told me that high ISO IQ (12.800 & 25K) is comparable to 5D IIIs output in raw and jpeg, too.
- I was told it will be available beginning of December at less than € 2000 (1999 ) in germany

Ralph

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:19 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph, thank you for the additional information and the estimated euro price.

Jaakko

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The price was already expected. I guess that is why Nikon lowered it΄s price already about € 150 for the first shiped D600s. The shops here in Cologne where already full with them visitors told me.

I held it (6D) in my hands again. And it felt great. If the IQ hits 5D III, the 6D will be my next body. It would be exactly what I asked for 1 year ago for an 5D II follow up.

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:36 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

At the german shop I usually buy my gear from, the 6D (not yet available) is the exact same price as D600 (already in stock): €1.999

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:53 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph, thanks for the updates, the 6D will be my 1st FF...
I'm off to Canon to buy a referb; 24-105L, your racing images convinced

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I sold it (my 24-105) expecting the new 24-70. But with a lower price AND IS!
So now there is the question to purchase a 24-105 again or the Tammy 24-70 VC instead, I was presenting on photokina. And like I mentioned before: If IQ turns out to be comparable/equal to 5D III - 6D will be my second FF.

Loss compared to 5D II:
- 1MP less (for what I do not care)
- 100K shuttercycles instead of 150K (why?)

Advantadges to 5D II (instead of comparing it to 5D III):
- weight and size
- trustable AF
- best AF sensitivness in any DSLR I know
- MA for start and end of zoom lenses
- 5D IIIs auto ISO settings
- "silent" mode
- 2 stops enhanced ISO jpegs, good enough to hand them out to customers
- cleaner high ISO raws (less to none banding over ISO 3.200 compared to 5D II)
- 1.5 more FPS
- older but better (imo) working VF-AF confirmation (hell, I forgott to ask, but it looks like it works like 5D II for me)
- (nearly) same price as 5D II after 4 years
- GPS (I do not care about)
- wifi (that might be usefull even for me in the future)

Ralph

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Dietrich

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
[...]
- 1.5 more FPS
Ralph

You mean 0.7 more fps (1.5 more fps compared to the 5Dc)

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:19 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:

I sold it (my 24-105) expecting the new 24-70. But with a lower price AND IS!
So now there is the question to purchase a 24-105 again or the Tammy 24-70 VC instead, I was presenting on photokina. And like I mentioned before: If IQ turns out to be comparable/equal to 5D III - 6D will be my second FF.

Loss compared to 5D II:
- 1MP less (for what I do not care)
- 100K shuttercycles instead of 150K (why?)

- weight and size
- trustable AF
- best AF sensitivness in any DSLR
...Show more

The Tammy does look nice, Bob Atkins gave it a really good review, it looks like a possible alt to Canon's 24-70II...
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_24-70_f28_VC_review.html

I'm pretty much an outside daylight shooter so f4L is fine for my zooms, faster glass are usually primes.

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

@ Dietrich:
Yes, sorry. I ment 0.5 FPS ( I really do not thinkt about 0.1 or 0.2 - I do not care about 0.5 either. for doing my job I never needed more than 2-3 FPS in less than 5% of my shots).

Ralph

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz wrote:
The Tammy does look nice, Bob Atkins gave it a really good review, it looks like a possible alt to Canon's 24-70II...
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_24-70_f28_VC_review.html

I'm pretty much an outside daylight shooter so f4L is fine for my zooms, faster glass are usually primes.

I do not see this. As far I see it, the Tamron is better than 24-70 L. And cheaper, too.
And it does not lack IS (Tamron calls it VC). And as far I see, the last 24-70 L was the best choice for the last decade. Imo the Tamrons IQ is better over the whole range. Warranty is 5 years here instead of 1 year. Price is better, too. 24-70 L II might be better in IQ. But it is of no interest by me, because it does not offer IS.
I have to shoot at 15th to 30th second freehand to get some jobs done. At 70mm there is no chance to get the shot without IS. I will not start to try to use a tripod to shoot people. This lens would be still useless for my needs even it would cost € 500. All the "new" Canon 24mm or 28mm lenses offer IS. Imo this (great IQ) lens was created by 55 years old technicians (nothing wrong with it) and 22 years old marketing guys (all wrong). None of them are photographers, nor do they know anything about competititors offers. This is a "Leica" product imo, nothing else. No other need for it than beeing able to say: "I own one!"
Maybe it is the best choice in bright sunlight in IQ. But this is not where I have to shoot. There was no choice before. Now it is.

Ralph

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Geert Koning
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Here is my first impression:

1. the body feels and smells like more plastik than 5D II, 5D III, but it fits perfect into my hands. New size, weight and feel came comfortable for me.
Ralph

Ralph,

Thanks for your review.

The 6D has about the same dimensions as the 40D/50D, does feel the same ?

Geert

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:35 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jj_glos wrote:
It is mind boggling that the AF points on two new FF cameras (6D and D600) don't cover the frame sufficiently for allowing the most basic compositions that people follow. Shame they didn't have a few old 1Ds2 units lying around they could've bodged into it...

You'd find that even 1DsII's AF points spread wasn't significantly bigger. With conventional (D)SLR design, you can spread the points as much as the surface of the secondary submirror (and it's peephole in the main mirror) allows you. General design limitation.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:15 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Geert Koning wrote:
Ralph,

Thanks for your review.

The 6D has about the same dimensions as the 40D/50D, does feel the same ?

Geert

Size yes. Cover material no. It feels like it is glued to your skin. My 40D feels like holding a plastic shell in my hands.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.