Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      
       34       35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Kris Reiswig
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thanks for confirming. At least I know that I don't have a defective camera.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The control dial scrolls across the same level of points as the last single point selected

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Just got 6D with 24-105 kit. Loving it.

Initially thought I would get the smaller and lighter 24-70 f/4 kit. But the dubious performance of the latter at 50 mm puts me off. Anyway, I am mighty impressed with the 24-105 f/4 lens (my copied was manufactured in Oct 2012 at Utsunomiya Japan). It's quite sharp from corner to corner wide-open and the contrast is fantastic.

As for the 6D, I need a bit of time to get used to the new button layout.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Congratulations thw2. :-) And much pleasure and success with yout new tool.

thw2 wrote:
Just got 6D with 24-105 kit. Loving it.

Initially thought I would get the smaller and lighter 24-70 f/4 kit. But the dubious performance of the latter at 50 mm puts me off. Anyway, I am mighty impressed with the 24-105 f/4 lens (my copied was manufactured in Oct 2012 at Utsunomiya Japan). It's quite sharp from corner to corner wide-open and the contrast is fantastic.

As for the 6D, I need a bit of time to get used to the new button layout.

Did you use a 24-105 before?
Is your new one quite sharp from corner to corner over the whole range?

Ralph

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:28 AM
mikegrados
• •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I know everyone's been anxiously awaiting my follow up to the non-functional grip issue. Well, I got my replacement and it's working like a champ.

Now, I just need to remember to actually hold the camera correctly when I have it on...caught myself today still using the main shutter release in portrait mode!

After a day of shooting with it on, I really, really like it. It's my first grip, and while the naked 6D already felt good...this is absolutely perfect now for my slightly larger hands. Perfect balance.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Never liked to shoot any (D)SLR without a grip after I bought the first one for my Eos5 in 1999. I did not test it on 6D (the grip was not available then), but I am pretty sure I will prefere it in this case, too. The new design (like 5D IIIs grip) looks much more comfotable (ergonomic) than 5D IIs one. Am I wrong?

Ralph

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:04 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Never liked to shoot any (D)SLR without a grip after I bought the first one for my Eos5 in 1999. I did not test it on 6D (the grip was not available then), but I am pretty sure I will prefere it in this case, too. The new design (like 5D IIIs grip) looks much more comfotable (ergonomic) than 5D IIs one. Am I wrong?

Ralph

You're correct...big and chunky. The battery grip side actually feels better in my hands than the regular grip. Next, and hopefully final bit of gear I'll want to get is an L-bracket. For my 5Dc I just left it on even though I rarely used a tripod - it was just nice to not have to worry about finding it when I needed it. For the 6D, I don't know if I want to get one for without the grip, and then swap, or get the one for the grip and it be a bit uncomfortable...

I think I just answered my own question...L bracket for body only and swap. Most of my time is freehand portraits, so I got the grip to be comfy in the hands. Thank you all for helping me think through this.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

:-) You are welcome, Mike.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:20 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Did you use a 24-105 before?
Is your new one quite sharp from corner to corner over the whole range?
Ralph

This is my first time using the 24-105. Corner sharpness suffers when subject is near, but for far-away subjects (> 5 m), images appear sharp from corner to corner across the whole range.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:48 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

thw2 wrote:
This is my first time using the 24-105. Corner sharpness suffers when subject is near, but for far-away subjects (> 5 m), images appear sharp from corner to corner across the whole range.

"off topic"

Over the whole range? My copy was sharp from 35 to 105 mm (but visible less than the 70-200 4.0 IS from 70 on). But it was not so good at 24mm like above 35mm. I hoped the new 24-70 4.0 IS would match the 70-200 4.0 IS. It looks like it does not around 50mm. :-(

"on topic" (back to 6D again)

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

After two month of sales 6D is already available here in germany for about 120-170 less than its start price. And Amazon did not start to sell it in numbers yet. Most offers on Amazon come from sidedealers, who have to pay to Amazon for sales. I do not like to wait, but I have to and I guess/hope its price will go down for another 150-200 till May.

Nice to see too, that all votings at amazon.de rate it 5 stars.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Even though I wanted to wait for the 5D4, I might have to buy a new camera soon. My 5D2 is starting to act up, and I believe that it might be the shutter singing on it's last verse.

I'm thinking about buying the slightly better 6D, since it has marginally improved DR over the 5D3.. That is kinda weird, considering that the 6D is way cheaper than the 5D3 and is supposed to be the "lesser camera".. But oh well.

Just a quick question on the outer points. Are they really better than the outer points on the 5D2? If so, do you mean that they are more accurate / consistent?

All information that I've found says that the middle AF point is better. I've heard nothing about improved outer points, hence why I'm asking.

Edited on Feb 06, 2013 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Rickuz wrote:
Even though I wanted to wait for the 5D4, I might have to buy a new camera soon. My 5D2 is starting to act up, and I believe that it might be the shutter singing on it's last verse.

I might actually go for the 6D since it has marginally better DR than the 5D3. That is kinda weird, considering that the 6D is way cheaper and is supposed to be the "lesser camera".. But it is what it is.

Just a quick question on the outer points. Are they really better than the outer points on the 5D2? If
...Show more

I have owned the 6D about 2 weeks now and I would say the outer focus points are a "bit" better than the 5D MK II's outer focus points. I owned the MK II for a few years and hardly never used them on the 6D I find I use them much more

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I never used them on 5D II and I guess I will not use them often on 6D (5D III or any other given camera). But I tested it in direct compare to my 5D II in a well lit situation and 6Ds performed reliable while 5D II did not. I know this was an exibition/introduction body, not a sales/production camera. But as far I read about others who used both made, their real life experience mirrors mine.

Ralph

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Good to see even non-cross focus points have improved in the past 9 years.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like the 6D will be a nice replacement for my 5D2.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Looks same here, Rickuz.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Amazing. IMO this is the true "spiritual" successor to the original 5D, i.e., IQ is paramount rather than frame rate, focus points covering the viewfinder, gun safe construction, multiple card slots, etc.
If pro features are less important, but superb IQ is critical, Canon has provided a fine option.
Haven't been this excited by a camera body since the original 5D, totally in hog heaven and haven't even begun to take advantage of live view and MA!
Thanks Canon

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:44 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

outlawyer wrote:
Amazing. IMO this is the true "spiritual" successor to the original 5D, i.e., IQ is paramount rather than frame rate, focus points covering the viewfinder, gun safe construction, multiple card slots, etc.
If pro features are less important, but superb IQ is critical, Canon has provided a fine option.
Haven't been this excited by a camera body since the original 5D, totally in hog heaven and haven't even begun to take advantage of live view and MA!
Thanks Canon

I like that kind of thinking........it is very good for us to have a no-frills, bread-and-butter camera option available which delivers great IQ in non-extreme conditions.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I generally agree with your comment, Peter.
But no frills? A (slightly) better sensor performance, the higher sensitivity of the reliable center AF point and the great weight/form factor at 1000 bucks less (next to bread and butter) really thrill me.

Ralph

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password