Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, I may have posted there with the Canon-is-just-crap-fanboyz and been one of a few that could use this entry level road apple

I'm really pondering a pre-order, along the 100L...so tempting!

I can't see much risk in preordering 6D, although by waiting several months longer you would probably save yourself a nifty little sum of money there.

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:32 PM
mikeengles
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Hello

The extea assist points on the 5D2 are only usable in AF servo and according to an engineer at Canon UK should not be used, because they can cause front focussing.
That is certainly my experience.

Mike Engles

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:44 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Crap, after reading the specs on the 6D I figured I would get either a 7D or a 5Dii as my next camera. now that I am reading how good the AF is, as well as the ISO performance, I am thinking I'll have to add this to the equation. Though by the time I upgrade they will have a new 1.6 crop with the same AF and ISO abilities. thanks for sharing your observations.

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:44 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:
+1

Robert, just go to Ralph's website galleries and you should be able to see right away that Ralph is no forumographer, although Ralph has been seen engaged in some forumography topics ........here and there.

I see it as a very nice compliment, Peter. Thank you. Even more if it comes from somebody who uses his extraordinary gear to shoot BiF, BiS and SBs only and always hides his fantastic images directly after showing them to two or three persons.

To tell youa and all here the truth: most images on the site where done with EOS D60, 350D, 30D, 50D, 5D II. Some with Minolta, Olympus, Eos 650 (all three manual focused) and Eos5 film cameras (manual and eye controlled focus. Except of the digital pictures shot with D60 wich where done manually focused in I guess 90% all the others where done using the center AF point only (if).

This was more accurate, better to controll and (important to catch the right moment) much faster than any choise of any other focus point. Of course I shoot people only and usually they do not run away (most time). I still feel sports or fast moving items will have to wait for me and any center AF point will do it for me very well in the future, too. If more acurate, so better. All bodies I used where better in IQ at even higher ISO than the former ones. With 5D II I reached the point where I realized that with clean(er) ISO 6.400/12.800 I will have anything I need for now (needs of course sometimes grow). 25k and even more is nice. But here it starts (for me) where I do not really see any longer, what I shoot even if the camera handels it well.

So I am pretty sure that - if IQ is next to 5D III/1D X in high ISO - 6D will serve me well for my kind of photography. Next to that: When I held this smart (in both: size and feeling) new body in my hands, it felt like when I got the 5D II in my hands 3.5 years ago. It feels great. 5D III feels nice. 1D MK IV and D3x look great but do not feel in any way comfortable (again: for me!) And their interfaces are imo far away from beeing intuitive, too.

Ralph

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Canon gives you one piece at a time. Now pick your weapon - bit better/latest sensor performance with 6D, better AF system in 5D III, and 18 MP sensor with fast fps and weather sealed camera body in 1Dx.

I would choose 6D or 5D II at the moment as suitable Canon models with slight tendency to 5D II.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:47 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

OntheRez wrote:
Canon seems to have developed at least 2 and likely 3 new ~20Mp sensors (5DIII, 1Dx, and 6D). Am I the only one who remembers years of "experts" shouting down Canon (and other companies) back in the megapixel war? How many times did we read, "I only need XXMp, just make them better!" So Canon stopped piling on the pixels (starting with the G12 as I remember) and suddenly everyone is outraged that Nikon has a 36Mp camera and Canon doesn't. Why am I so confused?

I am just as perplexed as you are. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

retrofocus wrote:
Canon gives you one piece at a time. Now pick your weapon - bit better/latest sensor performance with 6D, better AF system in 5D III, and 18 MP sensor with fast fps and weather sealed camera body in 1Dx.

I would choose 6D or 5D II at the moment as suitable Canon models with slight tendency to 5D II.

You would choose the 5D III if you had used one me thinks. Sure the price is high, but if you can get one under $3K jump on it.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:15 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

hows this..ya know the rule-of-thirds , why cant Canon put the same a/f sensor on the 1st 1/3 and the last third so at least the a/f would be exactly the same as center,better than nothing,,to have 2 more a/f points as good as the center.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:59 AM
LearnPhoto

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Hi Ralph,

I really appreciate your hands-on review. So far, every other websites have been copying and pasting specs only.

One qn: do the buttons on the 6D feel 'squishy, spongy and less tactile feedback' like the eos 60D?

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:08 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

digitalbug30d wrote:
hows this..ya know the rule-of-thirds , why cant Canon put the same a/f sensor on the 1st 1/3 and the last third so at least the a/f would be exactly the same as center,better than nothing,,to have 2 more a/f points as good as the center.

It is mind boggling that the AF points on two new FF cameras (6D and D600) don't cover the frame sufficiently for allowing the most basic compositions that people follow. Shame they didn't have a few old 1Ds2 units lying around they could've bodged into it...

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jj_glos
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:
+1

Robert, just go to Ralph's website galleries and you should be able to see right away that Ralph is no forumographer, although Ralph has been seen engaged in some forumography topics ........here and there.

Forumographer? That's a new one I think that is something I can aspire to. I've just about made the move from happy snapper to dwac, although to be honest they're probably the same!

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:06 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:
I can't see much risk in preordering 6D, although by waiting several months longer you would probably save yourself a nifty little sum of money there.

That's the plan Peter! I'll wait until early spring of 2013, seriously thinking of a used 7D or whatever replaces it, will shoot with my lowly 40/50Ds for now...the 100L is next up, just decided the IS is worth it and there are a few used around the $800 range.

The 6D, even with all the talk of it's horrible crippled AF seems adequate, I'm thinking it will be fine for my elusively fast moving flora n fauna, city/landscapes, etc. I'm sure I'll be pounded for even thinking of buying it let alone shooting with it, just hope Fred doesn't put any custom cant-upload-crap-6D-images filter here on FM

The WiFi function alone peeks my interest, suits my handicap just fine, interchangeable focusing screens for manual glass (my old FD collection), a lighter body, etc. And I'm into FF and a sensor that will no doubt out IQ/iSO my 40/50Ds, at a price that is more reachable then the 5D3.

Jerry

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Did not find time today. It was more busy then the days before. And of course I am there for presenting Tamron lenses (by the way, the new SP 70-200 2.8 Di VC USDs look very good even they are still pre production samples. And after an more intensive test of the 24-70 2.8 DI VC USD I did on the booth this lens is purchased!).
But I forgott to say one thing last time:
Only the cave test was done with the 50 1.4. The outer FP test at the presentation desk was done wit 24-105 4.0 L IS USM.

LearnPhoto wrote:
One qn: do the buttons on the 6D feel 'squishy, spongy and less tactile feedback' like the eos 60D?

I dont know. I felt no issues. Only the new arrangement I have to get used to.

Ralph

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

So what's the price for the 70-200 VC ?.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

kewlcanon wrote:
So what's the price for the 70-200 VC ?.

No price announced yet.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Monique
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Also had the 6D in my hands at Photokina, not overwelmed, silent shutter is louder then the 5DIII.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM
stargazer78
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Monique wrote:
Also had the 6D in my hands at Photokina, not overwelmed, silent shutter is louder then the 5DIII.

Sounds disappointing. The silent shutter mode was one of the best things about the 5D3.

Now if someone can just check the available minimum shutter speeds for Auto ISO. On the 5D3 there were only about 8 shutter speeds to choose from, in one stop intervals. There's really no reason why the user shouldn't be allowed to choose any minimum shutter speed he wanted.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jj_glos wrote:
Forumographer? That's a new one I think that is something I can aspire to. I've just about made the move from happy snapper to dwac, although to be honest they're probably the same!

I'm a Forumographer and damn proud of it!

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Monique wrote:

Yeah, but the silent shutter of the 5D3 is the quietest shutter I have ever heard on a DSLR. Its pretty amazing.
I though the one on my 1DS3 was smooth but this one takes the cake.

Sep 22, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

D600s price went down about 150 ( 1999 now) here in germany just when it arrived the shelves.

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:48 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password