Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19      
       21              35       36       end

6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Imagemaster wrote:

Nobody can make such a camera, so why would Canon be able to

If I am not out of this world, I would think, "kapy´s" comment was mentioned ironically ...

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:21 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz wrote:
Those look quite good, thank you Ralph!
And about that beer, anytime my friend
I also feel humbled being here on FM. Fred has created a wonderful forum, such talent and imagery displayed each day, diversity for vision, style, opinion, inspiring to say the least
I've a felling the 6D will not disappoint...

+100

Concerning the beer: You are invited as soon our roads cross in real world.
I hope very soon.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

folsomwg wrote:
This guy has pages of 6D shots. Just FYI.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotois/

To interesting imo, to leave it on the previous page.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:26 AM
mikegrados
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

weezintrumpete wrote:
Well, I went to Best Buy earlier in the evening and they had two 6D bodies that they just received. AFter playing with one for a bit, I bought it.

First impressions (coming from a 5Dc user):

Smaller size and weight is definitely appreciated and noticeable
High ISO is crazy good
Silent shutter mode is really awesome
Build feels nice
Autofocus is nothing to write home about (although I only ever use the center point)
Remote shooting with the iOS app is awesome...they need to make an iPad version!

My D-day will be this Saturday...driving down to the closest Best Buy (1.3 hrs away) that has it. Even if they don't have one on display, I'll make them dig a box out! This sounds like my EXACT expectations and game plan. I could've REALLY used that -3EV focus point tonight!!!!

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.20 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
To interesting imo, to leave it on the previous page.

HOLY S....T!!!

That looks nice

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:03 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Yes. Looks at least like this camera can produce some sharp images, too.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:20 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.20 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

the 6D is starting to look interesting, I'll wait for more reviews

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:51 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.20 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

At 2400x1600 the images from my 7D look pretty damn sharp too. lol

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:54 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Yes. Looks at least like this camera can produce some sharp images, too.

Unless one gets a soft copy of it.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

n0b0 wrote:
At 2400x1600 the images from my 7D look pretty damn sharp too. lol

You maybe right. And they doen´t do in full res?
Most prerelease pics I saw the last 4 weeks did even in smaller resolution look somehow "washed".

PetKal wrote:
Unless one gets a soft copy of it.

Yes. I was fearing they are soft copies in general.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Yes. I was fearing they are soft copies in general.

Ralphie, I wouldn't worry too much about that........gotta get your own copy (buy or borrow) and try it out. I will get a 6D CPS loaner as soon as I can, because I am curious about its AF capability.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:27 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.20 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

For those interested, Canon UK has finally replaced its placeholder leaflet with a full PDF brochure, available here.

(Canon France and Canon Germany still have the old leaflet.)

The PDF brochures usually have more comprehensive and accurate specifications than the various Canon websites. In this case, the brochure says the water- and dust-resistance is “equal to EOS-1N”. That’s exactly what the 5D Mark III brochure says too.

Tripod trivia: what’s the head sitting on the Gitzo Ocean Systematic on page 6 of the new brochure? Looks like a mini-Burzynski.

Also, CPN Europe will soon publish an in-depth technical article on the 6D. These articles always have new information.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:38 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

S Dilworth wrote:
Tripod trivia: what’s the head sitting on the Gitzo Ocean Systematic on page 6 of the new brochure? Looks like a mini-Burzynski.

I can not find the Gitzo brochure you are referring to.
However, the price of the new tripods is a surprise. Here is one example.
It looks like Gitzo have adopted the Canon pricing model for new hardware.......just double the price of the old version.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:51 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.20 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:
I can not find the Gitzo brochure you are referring to.

It’s in the Canon EOS 6D brochure (at right-hand-side of this page), not a Gitzo brochure. Maybe Canon sees Gitzo as a natural teammate in its endeavour to double prices?

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:03 PM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.20 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
If I am not out of this world, I would think, "kapy´s" comment was mentioned ironically ...

Ha - you are right! But nobody expects irony any more, so nobody appreciates it!

Cheers

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:50 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.20 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jorkata wrote:
But when they start consistently mispricing products - and later sell them on fire sales, then you wonder if they know what they are doing .

Actually, it proves they know exactly what they are doing. They first sell those over-priced units to impatient, over-zealous, suckers like myself... then let the prices fall so they can stay competitive and attract the remaining enthusiasts...

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:06 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.20 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Has anyone determined if the 6D is compatible with the Speedlite 600EX and RC communication. I have been trying to determine if Canon withheld this technology as a way to further separate the 6D from the 5D III and 1Dx. The UK brochure says in the spec page: External Flash: E-TTL II with EX series Speedlites, wireless multi-flash support (with optional accessory).

This could simply be the IR controller not the radio controller. I am interesting in moving to the 6D from my 5D-II as it would be a landscape body. I use a 24 f3.5L TS and would love to be able to use my iPad as a monitor to adjust the lens... the wifi ability would make this ideal and save me a lot of hassle with wires and the purchase of a dedicated external monitor. I have also wanted to experiment with remote flashes in night photography. By setting the flashes at a distance, you can really do some interesting magic in night imagery. While the 5DIII is a the best all around camera, the 6D / 7D combo seems like a nice pairing for a nature generalist like me.

Might just need to buy one at Best Buy today and figure all this out for myself

bruce

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:06 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.20 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

OwlsEyes wrote:
Has anyone determined if the 6D is compatible with the Speedlite 600EX and RC communication. I have been trying to determine if Canon withheld this technology as a way to further separate the 6D from the 5D III and 1Dx. The UK brochure says in the spec page: External Flash: E-TTL II with EX series Speedlites, wireless multi-flash support (with optional accessory).

This could simply be the IR controller not the radio controller. I am interesting in moving to the 6D from my 5D-II as it would be a landscape body. I use a 24 f3.5L TS and would love to
...Show more

I do off-camera flash, sometimes at night...the new wireless tech that Canon has with the 600 series speedlites sounds great (I've yet to try it), but the price is very prohibitive for me. You can get everything except the TTL (which you wouldn't want being a 'strobist' at night anyway) for much, much cheaper. I use the LP160 speedlites ($160) and Cactus V5 triggers ($35). You can pretty much get a full kit for the price of one 600EX.

I have noticed that when I'm using these triggers, my x-sync is more like 1/160 instead of 1/200 on my 5Dc. You mileage may vary.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.20 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Hi Bruce,

The 600EX RT is compatible with the 6D, here's a link to the Canon Learning Center, see the compatibility section

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_Speedlite_600EX-RT_Radio_Setup_QuickGuide.pdf

The 6D/7D sounds like a great combo...I was thinking 6D/60D just for the articulated screen, but the FPS and AF of the 7D are a huge bonus for actionnature!

Jerry

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

kapytalyst wrote:
Ha - you are right! But nobody expects irony any more, so nobody appreciates it!

Cheers

I do. And it was easy to detect ...

back (sorry, I am not good for more than three ...

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password