Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DxO tests the D600

jorkata
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · DxO tests the D600

Wow, that was fast !

Click here to see the comparison between the D600 and the 5DIII.

In summary, the D600 edges the 5DIII in all measurements except DR.

At base ISO (100-800), the DR of the D600 ... kills the 5DIII.
DR at ISOs 1600-12800 is the same on both.

And the 5DIII wins a consolation price for edging the D600 in DR at ISO 25600.

Congrats to both winners !

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:31 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · DxO tests the D600

And let the [insert manufacturer here] bashing begin!

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #3 · DxO tests the D600

Not very surprising really. We all know that Nikon has the better sensor tech when it comes to low ISO dynamic range (with help from Sony of course).

The real question is: When will Canon be able to beat them? Stay tuned to find out.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:01 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #4 · DxO tests the D600

Rickuz wrote:
The real question is: When will Canon be able to beat them? Stay tuned to find out.

The real question is: does it matter to you and your needs

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #5 · DxO tests the D600

D600 sensor better than 5DIII sensor.

The sky is blue.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #6 · DxO tests the D600

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
D600 sensor better than 5DIII sensor.

The sky is blue.

And sugar is sweet. My thoughts exactly.

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

That's a dumb question and you know it. If improved DR didn't matter, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

If it doesn't matter to you, then why do you keep joining the discussions? Kinda silly of you.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · DxO tests the D600

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

yes

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · DxO tests the D600

I do wonder how they did the D600 already but are still waiting on the 1DX !

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #9 · DxO tests the D600

Nikon gave them a D600 for free, because their Nikon test results are so good. Canon may have told them they have to purchase one

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:46 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · DxO tests the D600

skibum5 wrote:
I do wonder how they did the D600 already but are still waiting on the 1DX !

Based on how quickly DxoMark produced their results Nikon must have sent them an early sample to test, expecting it to perform well naturally. Other camera manufacturers may not have a similar incentive and so DxO must acquire those cameras themselves

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rickuz
• •
p.1 #11 · DxO tests the D600

Canon won't send their new cameras to DXO, because they know exactly how bad their own sensors are, in comparison to Nikon's

Nikon on the other hand, knows how awesome their sensors are, so of course they happily send their cameras to DXO for evaluation.

The day Canon creates a good sensor that they feel they can be proud of, with a good bump in DR and resolution, I am sure they will send their new camera to DXO.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:52 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #12 · DxO tests the D600

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

Absolutely, we are talking about the end product, the image....

High contrast scenes??

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · DxO tests the D600

ISO D600=2900 vs 5dii 2300 is a tie. They are 1/4 stop or less apart. And 5diii was better at iso 6400 than D800, even with similar specs so it may just be a arbitrary measurement difference.

Dynamic Range 14 D600 vs 12 is significant but 14 is still to small for me and blending with auto-bracket is my usual practice, so does not much matter to me.

Equal on fps.

About equal on pixels within noise.

Focus ?? 5diii is pretty darn good. Likely better

Then there is the fact that Nikon does not work well with the best lens 600v2, 24TS. Canon wins.

And lastly the soft stuff. I used autobracketing on d800 and it sucked. It did not give option of 3 stops at 3 pictures. C1,C2,C3 equivalent on nikon sucked.The feel of the d800 was worse too. My point is that ergonomics count too.

Which takes me to my point. They are close enough that it won't change the outcome unless you are new to the competition (and don't have any lens) and most people new to the competition are buying a d7000 or T3i.

But I love the fact that it willl cause canon to step up its game soon. Next year I will have my choice of 40mpx 5div and d700v2 with much better stats.

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #14 · DxO tests the D600

artsupreme wrote:
Absolutely, we are talking about the end product, the image....

High contrast scenes??

Precisely.

But you should know that Phil and a few others are just trolling every discussion about dynamic range and shadow noise. He is obviously upset about Canon's lack of sensor improvement / Nikon's huge advantage, but instead of admitting this, he keeps trolling everyone who says they want better DR performance. I am guessing it is some kind of psychological defense mechanism, triggered by emotional gear investment.. Yes it is wierd, I know!

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:05 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #15 · DxO tests the D600

Rickuz wrote:
Precisely.

But you should know that Phil and a few others are just trolling every discussion about dynamic range and shadow noise. He is obviously upset about Canon's lack of sensor improvement / Nikon's huge advantage, but instead of admitting this, he keeps trolling everyone who says they want better DR performance. I am guessing it is some kind of psychological defense mechanism, triggered by emotional gear investment.. Yes it is wierd, I know!

Thanks for another good laugh...

Shall we psychoanalyse you next??

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:40 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · DxO tests the D600

Ralph Conway wrote:
Nikon gave them a D600 for free, because their Nikon test results are so good. Canon may have told them they have to purchase one

hah

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:43 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #17 · DxO tests the D600

Rickuz wrote:
Precisely.

This just proves that you havent bothered to read or understand his posts, you really need to take a step back and have a good look at yourself.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #18 · DxO tests the D600

Yeah, the Nikon D600 whips the Canon silly in Image quality. No surprise there. Nikon's sensors are all a chip of the same block or should we say a cut of the same wafer.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #19 · DxO tests the D600

Wooaaaawww ! So, 6D at the same price with D600 it has no chance !!! D600 is way better !

Sep 22, 2012 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password