Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

DXO posts it's top 10.......and Canon ain't there.

http://fstoppers.com/nikon-compared-to-canon-dxo-mark-best-digital-camera

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:49 PM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

10 pages on how Canon sensors are perfectly adequate compared to the competition....

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:53 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

A bummer for those that care about DR.
For others, not so much.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:57 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Actually, Sony is kicking everyone.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:04 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Sadly sad...all they want ...is milking us...there is no A vs B here ... $/performance = what we are talking: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1148498/9#10975467

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:15 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Doesn't mean that the 5D III camera is bad overall, it is just that the sensor is not new and very similar to its predecessor camera MkII. It just can't beat the latest Nikon models with better sensor technology.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

DXO is a joke. I stopped paying attention to that website years ago.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:36 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

mttran wrote:
Sadly sad...all they want ...is milking us...there is no A vs B here ... $/performance = what we are talking

Another equation:

phrases strung together ≠ cohesive thought

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:47 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

buggz2k wrote:

Most of the Nikon sensors are from Sony.
So Sony isn't "kicking" Nikon, they're helping them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

No surprise really, we've all known this and beat it to death for the past year since the D800. My dream camera would be the 5D3 with this new 24MP D600 sensor in it but it ain't going to happen. I've used both the 5D3 and D800 and prefer the 5D3 and don't really need the D800 sensor but I would like to have this D600 sensor.

I still think that with the current releases Canon builds a much better camera as far was quality, lack of issues and general usability. Sony just has the huge lead in available sensor tech and I would guess Canon is too proud to ever buy the Sony sensor.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

DanBrown wrote:
Another equation: phrases strung together ≠ cohesive thought

+1

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:27 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

buggz2k wrote:

Apparently the new Leica 24MP CMOS sensor developed for them by CMOSIS and manufactured by STMicroelectronics is, on paper, very, very competent and at the same level as Sony. Perhaps even better...

As for Canon's sensors... I don't know... having just acquired a 1DX I can't say I'm disappointed in overall image quality. RAW files are sharp and I've pushed a few about two stops when I muffed the exposure. A touch of luminance NR was all that was needed. At least for my real world applications, I'm not disappointed.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:29 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

buggz2k wrote:

rscheffler wrote:
Apparently the new Leica 24MP CMOS sensor developed for them by CMOSIS and manufactured by STMicroelectronics is, on paper, very, very competent and at the same level as Sony. Perhaps even better...

As for Canon's sensors... I don't know... having just acquired a 1DX I can't say I'm disappointed in overall image quality. RAW files are sharp and I've pushed a few about two stops when I muffed the exposure. A touch of luminance NR was all that was needed. At least for my real world applications, I'm not disappointed.

I think for the majority of the shooters out there, any of the new sensors are plenty good.

It's those that want/need a high DR sensor and high MP for specific usages.
For me, I'd like more DR for those times that a GND filter won't work and exposure bracketing isn't ideal. Then I could take the shot at the best possible exposure and work the darks and lights to get the real world image that my eyes see and the camera just can't. This is usually only an issue when I'm printing large.
But for the majority of my shooting the 5D3 works and I have no complaints.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

They also said the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II performed worse than the Mark I version. And with that that was the last time I ever gave any credence to DXO.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:54 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Todd Klassy wrote:
They also said the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II performed worse than the Mark I version. And with that that was the last time I ever gave any credence to DXO.

But any other test comparing the latest Nikon sensor with the latest Canon sensor comes to the same conclusions...so I would not dismiss these results too quickly. We've also seen real world examples thanks to Fred that also showed these same results.

Dismiss if you like, but I look at these tests with an open mind and take in all information, good and bad...not just good when making my own conclusions.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:57 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

I don't shoot charts
Canon shooter since 1978, it's the glass, always has been...still is!
I do use DXO software for my ultra wide images to correct distortion
As for the DR issues I don't PP much nor do I print big/huge.
Shooting slide film teaches you about DR to a large degree.
Digital gives you more freedom to correct, more latitude with exposure not unlike negative film.
Sony's EXMOR tech with it's kickass DR looks fantastic, you just gotta tame all them pixels, be more delicate using them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Sometimes when I read threads like this I get upset with canon and think "how can I survive with these limitations coming from these new cameras. Canon needs more megapixels and more DR!!" Then I go back out and shoot my 5D'classic' never notice this shit.

I think Canon intentionally doesn't make camera sensors with crazy awesome dynamic range. It's canon's way of saying "come on, I know you're better photographers than those nikon folk."

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Beautiful spin. 10/10.

Johnny B Goode wrote:
Sometimes when I read threads like this I get upset with canon and think "how can I survive with these limitations coming from these new cameras. Canon needs more megapixels and more DR!!" Then I go back out and shoot my 5D'classic' never notice this shit.

I think Canon intentionally doesn't make camera sensors with crazy awesome dynamic range. It's canon's way of saying "come on, I know you're better photographers than those nikon folk."

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

Johnny B Goode wrote:

People who don't care about getting improved dynamic range, probably don't care much about PP either. Or they are just too "old school" to realize what they are missing.

Professional image editors knows that some files hold up better to a beating than others. Having a wide amount of DR in your RAW-files, allow for stunning manipulation in programs like Photoshop and Lightroom, but the data has to be there in the first place.

This is where Canon's sensors has fallen behind, while Nikon (Sony) is leaping forwards, and not just a little.

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon knocks Canon off the charts.

I find it interesting that just a few years ago we use to gloat about our 5d2 sensor with its great image quality and large number of pixels compared to Nikon's measily sensor in their d700. Now that the tables are turned, the sensor really doesn't matter and it's only about glass. What are we going to say when Nikon catches up with their glass?

Personally, I call a spade a spade and really admire and drawl over their latest sensors, wishing they were available for Canon cameras. I have too much money into Canon to even look at switching, but I do give credit where credit is due and the latest sensors from Nikon are due their credit.

Saying I don't need the extra dynamic range is like taking your ball and going home. I am sure if this dynamic range were available in a Canon camera, different tunes would be sung.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password