Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Video - which body?

Alex53
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Video - which body?

I am perfectly happy with my 'aging' 5D in terms of still photography, but I am more and more tempted to pick up a newer body to experiment with video.

Macro video, and a few other ideas have been brewing in my head for a while, but the cost of a full-on video camera that lets you change lenses, etc is prohibitive. So a Canon SLR that can do video is hugely appealing, especially since I wouldn't even have to invest on new lenses to do what I want.

However, since there are now a few bodies that can do this, what body would you go for? The new 6D seems a bit of a waste of cash when you can get a 5DmkII for cheaper. But are there any limitations to the video features in the older bodies that I should be aware of? Maybe for this purpose a 60D or even a 650D or 1100D would be more than enough and I could save some money there? What are the differences in their video features?

Any pointers will be very welcome

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:51 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Video - which body?

650D has video autofocus and works nicely with STM lenses for videos.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:57 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Video - which body?

I would also vote T4i.

You are only going to save a few $$ going older. The T4i has some great upgrades.

Great still photo auto focus. First Canon with video auto focus and auto exposure.

Touch screen LCD. Follow face auto focus. Almost like a camcorder with the 18-135 STM.

Only small drawback is a bit of aliasing & moire like the T3i. But the ONLY ones without that are the 5D3 and 1DX so far. Maybe the 6D, TBD. But all of the older ones are the same or worse.

T4i new at Amazon is $790 or so. eBay or here $720 or less.

Good luck!
Michael

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alex53
• • •
p.1 #4 · Video - which body?

Thanks for your replies. When you say autofocus for the video, you do have the ability to focus manually when taking video right? How do the other controls work while recording, can you alter settings manually?

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:04 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Video - which body?

You might want to check out cinema5d.com.

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:22 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Video - which body?

Or DVXuser.com

This site really doesn't have a video forum, does it?

Yes, you can alter all of the other controls manually. You can also focus manually if you prefer of course. You can even switch from auto to manual while you are filming, depending on how you have things set up.

The auto focus is a new feature that works best with the new Canon STM lenses, the 40 mm and 18-135 mm STM.

You will find on other sites that people tell you to go all manual, with older lenses with aperature rings, prefereably ones that have teh click stops removed, etc.

Like anything, there are purists that obsess about every detail (not like at FM of course!) and peopel who are more pragmatic. Generally the first group is talking about pure "cinematic" or cine image making, the second group tends to be in more "run and gun" or quick moving situations.

I am quite happy with my Canon zooms and primes for video. I also have all manual lenses - the Zeiss 28 mm, 25 mm, the Canon 90 TS-E (manual focus at least, with a long throw), but i am probably going to sell those because something like my 24-70 works fine for me, even with the electronic shutter.

Good luck!
Michael

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password