Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about doublers

MRM4
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about doublers

With all the talk about the Kate Middleton photos and the fact the photographer that used a doubler to capture the images, that brought up some questions in my mind. I have heard of doublers, but have never used one. I don't know anything about them. So I came up with some questions about them that maybe some of you can answer.

1. What is image quality like when using one?

2. Can they be used with zoom lenses or just fixed length lenses?

3. Any other pros or cons in using one?

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:16 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about doublers

Is a doubler not a regular 2x teleconverter?

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about doublers

DDoublers can be very useful in the field, and save money over the purchase of a long lens. THere is no free lunch, though. Any softness in the main lens is magnified by the TC. There is always the matter of light loss when using a doubler or TC. A 1.4 TC loses one stop of light, while a 2x TC will cost 2 stops of light.

Kenko TC's can usually be used with any lens having a focal length of 100MM or longer, though it is always best to check clearance before mounting.

Nikon TC's tend to be a bit more lens specific. In other words, certain lenses need certain TC's.

Image quality can be a mixed bag. A 1.4 TC usually degrades the image very little, while the 2X TC can sometimes cause fairly heavy degradation. Much depends on the quality of the lens being used and the quality of the TC.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password