Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

mrmitchell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I have an out-of-warranty 24-105L which is operating "correctly". However, I am not really pleased with its sharpness and often revert to my Canon 7D / 15-85 for wide angle (counter-intuitive, huh?) and my Canon 5D Mark III with 70-300L for most everything else.

I have read about a lot about "soft" copies of this lens, and suspect that I have one. Do you think it is worthwhile to send this lens in for adjustment? What might it cost me?

As a complication, I am currently in the Dominican Republic, and FedEx to the USA will add $100 to the repair cost, of course. Does anybody know of a local camera shop that can reliably perform this adjustment?

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I assume that you have done the micro-focus adjustment on this lens, correct? At f/4.0 it may not appear that critical but still, I would do that first, if you have not done so. Could you post some images of shots that you think were soft?

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM
mrmitchell

p.1 #3 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

Thanks, AGeoJO.

Yes, I've done MAF on both my bodies with all my lenses. The 24-105L isn't horrible, and is usable, it just never has the sharpness of my other lenses, at any aperture. With Live-view, manual or auto-focus, it always likes a 2 to 4 pixel deconvolution sharpening (Focus Magic) whereas my 70-300L seldom needs any and the 15-85 on the 7D usually only likes 1 or 2 pixels (in spite of the higher-pixel-density sensor of the 7D). That implies an out-of-focus issue, but it is the best the lens can do...manual, live-view or auto. And obviously, sharpening is a poor second to capturing the image sharp in the first place.

In comparison to the other two lenses which beat it, do you expect the 24-105 to be as sharp? If so, I'll pay to send it for adjustment. Or am I just asking too much of it? The other lenses are reputed to be very good.

Can't post images here without subscribing to buy-and-sell.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:28 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #4 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I recently traded my 24-105L and while it had great colors I would not describe it as sharp. It always had a nice look to the images but never real sharp even with MFA.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

Hi Murray, I do have a 24-105mm lens and I am well aware of what the lens can do. It is not as sharp as, let's say the 70-200mm Mark II lens, but generally it is not a bad lens. I could get sharp eye lashes using that lens without any problems. Based on your description, it certainly looks like yours is not up to par, be it its AF or the actual optical performance itself.

I am not sure about the situation over there where you are located but here in the US, there is a flood of that lens since it is a kit lens normally sold with 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III. In several cases, it would be worthwhile for you to get the combo and sell the lens if you don't need that. The bottom line would be less expensive than if you would buy the body by itself. The glut of that lens puts a lot of pressure on the lens' price. Currently, that lens brand new is selling for approximately $800. I am not sure how much the calibration cost would be and I am estimating to be at least $150, maybe closer to $200 and you have to pay shipping for that. I am not sure whether it is not better for you to sell the lens at a discount and disclose the condition and get a new lens for $800... For sure, I would do it that way over here.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:42 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I recently had my 24-105 calibrated (in The Netherlands) for $125 (shipping not included). This was a 'standard' calibration, you lens may need more.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I am consistently blown away with my copy of this lens on my 5d2. Quite astounding for a "kit" lens. Wasnt there some issues with some of the early ones that canon fixed for free?

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alexdi
• •
p.1 #8 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

Can you post a sample of your results?

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:15 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

alexdi wrote:
Can you post a sample of your results?

+1 Without samples we are all just guessing.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:32 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I will when I get back home. On Friday.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:56 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

Bummer, hope you get yours corrected, as I really like mine, it's always in "my go" kit.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:07 PM
mrmitchell

p.1 #12 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I just tried it out on the wife...I can get sharp eyelashes at f/4 without a problem at any reasonable distance with 24mm to 105mm focal lengths. Given the description of the lens' performance from AGeoJO, I suspect that I have been spoiled by good copies of the other lenses, and that my 24-105L is not that bad. Given that nobody yet has recommended a Dominican Republic shop to calibrate it, I will just leave well enough alone. I don't have $200 - $300 to gamble, and it seems unlikely that it would come back much better, if at all. Maybe it's time to save for a 24-70 f/2.8L II. YIKES.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'd upload a sample, but the site doesn't let me. I need upload and sell permission? Not to worry.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #13 · Fine Tune a 24-105L?

I've always been happy with mine, very sharp for what it is. It's my go to single lens for traveling light. You may have a dodgy copy unfortunately, it happens I'm afraid.

You can use an external site like Flickr and put the link to your images in your message if you want people to take a look?

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password