Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ball Head Purchase

rtrainer

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Ball Head Purchase

Getting ready to buy a ball head for the first time and am looking for some advice on which to buy. I will be using it mostly for portrait stuff with my 1DX and at the most a 70-200 II. I have a 300 but I doubt I will ever have be using it when mounted on the tripod.

I have looked at the RRS, Gitzo and Kirk stuff with the understanding that they are at the top of the food chain. I have also looked at others that are much less expensive. I know lower cost does not always translate into poor quality but the probability of poor quality is always higher. I don't want to break the bank but I do want to buy something of quality.

The other thing that I am slightly confused about is the QR systems. I know the Manfrotto plates/L brackets are not interchangeable with RRS, etc., but are Gitzo, RRS and Arca Swiss interchangeable between each other?

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM
dmahar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Ball Head Purchase

RRS, Kirk, Wimberley etc. (all the manufacturers who say Arca Swiss compatible) use interchangeable camera and lens plates provided a screw clamp is used. Not all variations will work perfectly with all lever lock clamps. In my experience Wimberly plates are the best for compatibility across clamp brands and types. There are details about these issues on both the RRS and Wimberly sites. I chose RRS over Arca Swiss for my head and clamp because the AS lever clamp is fiddly to use. There is an old saying about ball heads - you can buy a RRS or AS now or buy it later after wasting money on lesser heads.

Hope that helps

Doug

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · Ball Head Purchase

Consider FEISOL and it comes with a QR plate.

FEISOL Link

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #4 · Ball Head Purchase

Markins is another solid option. I got the Q-Ball Q10 with Lever Quickshoe recently and like it a lot.

http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/q10l.html

The PG-50 plate works with a 1D X:

http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/plates/pg50.html

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · Ball Head Purchase

I recently bought an Induro BHL3 that came with a nice QR plate, 10 year warranty and handles my gripped 60D w/70-200 II and a 2x II with ease.

I must mention I got it for just $245 new from the B&H student discount program so that was a big factor too.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #6 · Ball Head Purchase

Stoffer wrote:
Markins is another solid option. I got the Q-Ball Q10 with Lever Quickshoe recently and like it a lot.

http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/q10l.html

+1..recently purchased this same setup for a 5D MkIII. I'm quite impressed by the quality and how easy it is to use!

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Ball Head Purchase

I have and recommend the largest RRS ballhead. I have it on a 3 section Gitzo CF with no center column. I'm very satisfied with it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #8 · Ball Head Purchase

jstntym wrote:
+1..recently purchased this same setup for a 5D MkIII. I'm quite impressed by the quality and how easy it is to use!

Another +1 for Markins. But I bought one without clamp, and put an RRS "B2 LLR II" lever clamp on it. And then RRS plates on everything. I've been very pleased with that setup for 3-4 years now.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:24 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Ball Head Purchase

vsg28 wrote:
I recently bought an Induro BHL3 that came with a nice QR plate, 10 year warranty and handles my gripped 60D w/70-200 II and a 2x II with ease.

I must mention I got it for just $245 new from the B&H student discount program so that was a big factor too.

+1 I'm very happy with my Induro can't be beat for the price and only matched by more money IMHO.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Ball Head Purchase

Wobble wrote:
Consider FEISOL and it comes with a QR plate.

FEISOL Link

+1 there tripods and heads are great value...

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Ball Head Purchase

rtrainer wrote:
Getting ready to buy a ball head for the first time ...

You'll find lots of threads on this topic in this forum: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/54

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:01 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Ball Head Purchase

Monito wrote:
I have and recommend the largest RRS ballhead.

+1 on the RRS BH-55

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Ball Head Purchase

rtrainer wrote:
Getting ready to buy a ball head for the first time and am looking for some advice on which to buy. I will be using it mostly for portrait stuff with my 1DX and at the most a 70-200 II. I have a 300 but I doubt I will ever have be using it when mounted on the tripod.

I have looked at the RRS, Gitzo and Kirk stuff with the understanding that they are at the top of the food chain. I have also looked at others that are much less expensive. I know lower cost does not always translate
...Show more

arca swiss p0 monoball is very nice

did not like the manfrotto ball heads at all

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:44 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #14 · Ball Head Purchase

I use the RRS BH-30 which is fine as a cheaper option with a 70-200 2.8II + 1Ds2.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:51 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Ball Head Purchase

The Arca Swiss plates are nice with telephoto lenses. You can move them back and forth to the the right balance on the lens/body/TC combination.

one source: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:26 PM
danob
• •
p.1 #16 · Ball Head Purchase

Feisol make superb tripods and IMHO best value, not sure about the ballheads, But Markins make superb heads very smooth in operation. The panning lock people complain will not be a problem with your light set up

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Ball Head Purchase

I've an Arcatech GP ballhead, like it's open design, it's built-n gimbal option. I use their leveling base as well; several additional products also,

They are a SoCal based company that is only a few hours drive away...it was nice to try before the buy...and for my use/abilities, the perfect match

Good luck with your search!
Jerry

Arcatec GP Ballhead
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=69&cat=1&page=1

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password