New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Graham Mitchell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

The spec on Nikon's website is confusing: "X = 1/250 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/320 s or slower"

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:07 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

The last is with speedlights.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Why should that make any difference? The flash sync speed is determined by the time interval between the first curtain being fully open and the second curtain starting to close.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

(and for what it's worth, I use Profoto Pro 7A packs)

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:25 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Graham Mitchell wrote:
Why should that make any difference? The flash sync speed is determined by the time interval between the first curtain being fully open and the second curtain starting to close.
The flash sync is determined biy the curtains and the speed the flash can react, maybe Nikon is sure that it's own flashes do that and not sure about randowm choosen ones.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:35 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

ok, I suppose the only way to know for sure is to try it. Too bad shops around here don't have demo models any more. "We'll order it for you" is the general approach.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:31 AM
StevenPalowsky
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

1/250th is the top sync with studio strobes.

fwiw, i shoot with the D800 and a mixture of PCB Einsteins and WL X3200s with the newer CyberSync/Commander and the other day while i was waiting on a client to show up, i just did a quick run through with the sync speeds.

HIGHLY unscientific, but i like to shoot at 1/160th in my studio bc previously with another trigger i saw edge darkening at higher speeds. i saw that also with my new setup and X3200. there was a little darkening at 1/200th and even more at 1/250th.

if i remember correctly, i saw the black line start to creep in above 1/250th.

again, let me emphasize i was just messing around, killing time, and not running through any variables, like trying this with the newer Einstein units OR syncing to one of them with an actual cord.

im sure there are lots of variables that could go into everything, but thats been my limited experience. hope it helps some

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

StevenPalowsky wrote:
1/250th is the top sync with studio strobes.

I'm happy to say that's not true. I got my D800 today and I'm putting it through its paces. 1/320 worked fine with my Profoto Pro 7A, and in fact 1/400 only lost the bottom 5-10% of the image to the shutter so 1/400 would be useable in a pinch. Just zoom out a little. You have pixels to spare with the D800. Not too bad. I still wish for 1/500 flash sync on a DSLR!

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
spxxxx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Graham Mitchell wrote:
I'm happy to say that's not true. I got my D800 today and I'm putting it through its paces. 1/320 worked fine with my Profoto Pro 7A, and in fact 1/400 only lost the bottom 5-10% of the image to the shutter so 1/400 would be useable in a pinch. Just zoom out a little. You have pixels to spare with the D800. Not too bad. I still wish for 1/500 flash sync on a DSLR!

I use a mini TT1 transmitter with my Profoto 7B's and get a clean 1/1000 after playing with the hypersync setup

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Some of the good results at higher shutter speeds may be related to flash duration. A slightly longer flash duration (generally at higher flash power settings) will sometimes mask the fact that the shutter isn't actually fully open all at the same time. If you've got a combination that works, great -- but I would assume Nikon's spec is conservatively based on the shortest amount of time when they know conclusively that the entire frame will be exposed.

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

spxxxx wrote:
I use a mini TT1 transmitter with my Profoto 7B's and get a clean 1/1000 after playing with the hypersync setup

Not sure how that works. I assume the flash duration on the 7B is a lot slower, actually longer than 1/1000 so it acts as a continuous light? Am I on the right track? And in that case, you'd be limited to more powerful settings, which have longer durations? If that's how you do it, then how do you do the 'hypersync' setup?

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

For those who are curious, here's the shutter intrusion at 1/400:

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/flash_sync_frame.jpg

Sep 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM
StevenPalowsky
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

that is interesting about some of the experiences with the profoto equipment.

when i have a chance i might run through some stuff with the einsteins in the action mode, as opposed to constant color mode. id also be interested to try it wired vs wireless.

thanks for the heads up! next time someone is running late to an appointment, i might run through some settings again

Sep 21, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Graham Mitchell wrote:

Not quite true. There is also an allowance in there for the flash to deliver its light output while the shutter is fully open. On some flash units the duration of the flash pulse is longer or shorter than on others, and it can take more or less time before it happens or before the peak of the output happens. The wrong combination means that a slower effective sync speed is needed in some cases or that even if uniform lighting is achieved it will not be as bright at the maximum sync speed as it will be at a slower shutter speed that captures the entire light pulse.

- Alan

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

Graham Mitchell wrote:
Not sure how that works. I assume the flash duration on the 7B is a lot slower, actually longer than 1/1000 so it acts as a continuous light? Am I on the right track? And in that case, you'd be limited to more powerful settings, which have longer durations? If that's how you do it, then how do you do the 'hypersync' setup?

I'm not familiar with those lights but it probably works just like the speed lights - lots of very short lower power flashes occurring over a period long enough to evenly illuminate the rolling shutter gap across the whole image frame. These high speed sync modes reduce the maximum light intensity and reduce the effective range of the flash, so sometimes you're better off with slow synch mode.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

From what I understand the 1/250 sync speed has been around for a while. Is this regarded as a negative by working pros/enthusiasts? Is it a good thing or just "the way it is" and no one really thinks about it much?

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:30 AM
StevenPalowsky
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

derek.fulmer wrote:
From what I understand the 1/250 sync speed has been around for a while. Is this regarded as a negative by working pros/enthusiasts? Is it a good thing or just "the way it is" and no one really thinks about it much?

my understanding is that its the high end of normal, if that makes any sense...for focal plane shutters anyway. im sure there is something faster out there.

in studio type situations, i dont think its really a big deal one way or the other, but when you want to get into situations where you want to over power the sun, sync speed becomes a very big deal, especially if you want to use an f/stop that is relatively wide open and without using something like a ND filter.

aside from the bigger sensor and massive resolution, leaf shutter lenses are one of the BIG attractions of medium format digital. these can sync from anywhere from 1/800th to even 1/1600 on some of the newer phase one back/body combos.

again, that is referring to pack/head strobes or monolights...not speedlights, which can "pulse" to sync at very high speeds, but at the expense of overall power.

not to hijack this thread, but i totally wish someone would make an adapter for us to use leaf shutter lenses from MF on our dslrs.

a few months back, leica announced an adapter to use H mount lenses on their S2. that way you can have the best of both worlds with the S2...if you have any H lenses, that is.

im not sure how it all works, but the phase one camera can run dual shutters and the leica was designed to do the same, but their own leaf shutters have been MIA for a while. leica actually reverse engineered the adapter to fully integrate into the S system. neat deal and i would totally love something like that

Sep 22, 2012 at 01:09 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

derek.fulmer wrote:

Well I'm used to a medium format camera with 1/1000 sync so 1/250 is quite a downgrade. It's important for people shooting with a mixture of ambient and flash light.

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

StevenPalowsky wrote:
im not sure how it all works, but the phase one camera can run dual shutters and the leica was designed to do the same, but their own leaf shutters have been MIA for a while. leica actually reverse engineered the adapter to fully integrate into the S system. neat deal and i would totally love something like that

I imagine it's a very simple matter of telling the camera which shutter to use, and keeping the other shutter open.

Leica has its own CS lenses - they are not missing in action.

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:29 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So what is the D800 flash sync speed? - UPDATE: Now tested

1/1000 on MF? I remember my Hassy has only 1/500. At any rate, you can use Nikon's CLS to have hyper-sync at 1/8000 with multiple flashes. Have you seen any David Black's work?

http://youtu.be/cP6a47BQA70

http://youtu.be/xNDAINwhTWU

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.