Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Sony a99!

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a99!

Can’t wait to get my hands on the new Sony a99 (FYI.. I currently shoot Sony).... and am hoping that it will be my new wedding warrior as the high ISO performance looks stellar thus far in the previews. I know that 95% of the board is a Canon or Nikon shooter, but is anyone else intrigued by Sony's new offering!?

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:41 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a99!

I like it a lot only thing I don't like is the price, please do share your low light images....

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:04 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a99!

Will do... but it will probably be Jan-Feb before I am able to buy one. I guess there arent any other Sony fans on the board

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:37 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony a99!

there are a few but they don't come around that often

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:38 PM
sapper987

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony a99!

I have two A900's and an A700. I got the A77 but could never get used to the EVF, so I'm switching to Nikon since Sony will likely never release another DSLR, only DSLT (EVF vs OVF). Don't get me wrong, not knocking EVF, it just doesn't work for me.

I would be interested to see real world A99 images though, especially low light . I think Sony is more than capable and long overdue to produce a high ISO, low noise camera. From preliminary specs and sample images it looks like they may have just done that. Looking forward to seeing some of your results.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:29 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony a99!

Without Sony, there's no Nikon dslr. So Nikon is Sony's dslr division.

Zoinks!

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:41 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony a99!

sherijohnson wrote:
there are a few but they don't come around that often

It's because we hide away scared of the low light :-O

No real interest to me as a Sony user. Rumoured for a long time, so no great surprise when it appeared - basically an a77 with a larger sensor. I never liked the changes they made from the a700-a77, so the a99 isn't much different for me. I'll wait to see what if they release a model above in 2013, which has been suggested, but even then I'll just admire from afar to see how things progress (in some areas at least). My a900's are good for another couple of years yet, easily.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:55 PM
thorne88
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony a99!

I'm def going to jump on one of this early next year once some more reviews come around. Been setting pennies aside for a while now in anticipation.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:55 PM
td81
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony a99!

I'm happy to hear about the improved high ISO performance as well but not too excited about the EVF. I love the VF on my a900. Sony + Zeiss all the way )

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony a99!

td81 wrote:
I'm happy to hear about the improved high ISO performance as well but not too excited about the EVF. I love the VF on my a900. Sony + Zeiss all the way )

Have you ever used the EVF on the a77? It’s a thing of beauty!! I agree that I prefer the look of the actual optical VF on my a850, but I feel like there are a lot of advantages once you get use to EVF. Real-Time exposure, WB, and focus peaking are game changers! I rarely have over/exposed images because what you see is what you get. The only significant disadvantage I can really think of is that the EVF can make you a little lazy.... when switching back and forth between the two (a850/a77) I sometimes forget that I am not using an EVF and forget to use the light meter on the a850, so my first shot is over/under exposed.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:33 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony a99!

Very interested in the a99. Problem is that I don't have any issues with my a77 at all so it's hard to justify the expense. I'll make a final decision when I get to play with one.

Gordon

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:09 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony a99!

flash wrote:
Very interested in the a99. Problem is that I don't have any issues with my a77 at all so it's hard to justify the expense. I'll make a final decision when I get to play with one.

Gordon

There is just a difference in image quality between FF and APS-C. Its hard to quantify but it's there. I own both an a77 and a850... my a850 images always seem to have a little more magic

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony a99!

if they release it with nikon mount, then i will look at it

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:00 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony a99!

ricardovaste wrote:
It's because we hide away scared of the low light :-O

No real interest to me as a Sony user. Rumoured for a long time, so no great surprise when it appeared - basically an a77 with a larger sensor. I never liked the changes they made from the a700-a77, so the a99 isn't much different for me. I'll wait to see what if they release a model above in 2013, which has been suggested, but even then I'll just admire from afar to see how things progress (in some areas at least). My a900's are good for another couple of
...Show more

yeah, this is pretty much true.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:53 PM
wer2012
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony a99!

I shoot Sony & Nikon - I love the Zeiss and Minolta glass. I really want to see how the AF system works.... it looks killer.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:42 PM
VPell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony a99!

sony is the best

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony a99!

derbarrett wrote:
There is just a difference in image quality between FF and APS-C. Its hard to quantify but it's there. I own both an a77 and a850... my a850 images always seem to have a little more magic

Yeah, but my primaries are a pair of M9s. I only use a SLR for ceremony and some of reception.

Gordon

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:50 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony a99!

derbarrett wrote:
Can’t wait to get my hands on the new Sony a99 (FYI.. I currently shoot Sony).... and am hoping that it will be my new wedding warrior as the high ISO performance looks stellar thus far in the previews. I know that 95% of the board is a Canon or Nikon shooter, but is anyone else intrigued by Sony's new offering!?

I am mainly a nikon shooter but I really shoot with everything and anything. Last wedding I shot I had Nikon and Fuji digital cams and Mamiya film in my bag.

I am very intrigued by this camera and the new rx1. I would have no problem adding an rx1 or the a99 to my bag. Some people say why have so many different brands in my bag? they are all basically the same right? Well, yes and no. HAHA

I like Nikon because, well its Nikon and just feels right. I dont have to think with it. I just pick it up and shoot. I like Fuji for the quietness of the shutter and the rangefinder feel. I love film, so thats that. They are all just tools right? Like a carpenter with 4 different hammers. Im sure all 4 are for different things. Just like my camera bag

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony a99!

http://www.slrlounge.com/extensive-hands-on-field-review-of-the-sony-a99 looks promising....but I made a decision to expand my Canon lineup and move away from sony for now, still have for back up or when I want to incorporate the look I get out of my sony

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:36 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony a99!

Just curious.... how does the look you get from sony differ from canon?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.