Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

Jack Balthasar wrote:
I have an X100. Isn't that a rangefinder with LV, Optical and Electronic Viewfinders? It has an APS-C sensor, so not full frame, but it's pretty reasonably priced.
I get the Leica cost, so I'm not jumping into that argument, but there are alternatives out there.
Just like a Corvette is an alternate to a Ferrari, Leica has competition like the X100. I'm just pointing out the alternatives, as some folks are questioning that.

Not to be picky....I get your point, but the X100 is not a rangefinder. It has an interesting and very usable OVF/EVF and works well as an AF body, but manual focus with a true rangefinder is way better than trying to focus the X100 manually.

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:31 PM
olelovold
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

JonasY wrote:
But what Leica does here, and no other manufacturer will ever do, is to combine the amazing OVF with all the advantages of a EVF. That's both unique and awesome, literally eating the cake and having it too.

That's exactly what the Fuji X100 and X-Pro 1 does, but without having to purchase an expensive add-on EVF that adds bulk.

The M looks like a great camera. Leica actually exceeded my expectations. At the price point however, I'll stick with the Fujis.

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

photo.guy wrote:
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but with the introduction of the new M and it still using an external EVF, can someone explain why a rangefinder system is preferable? I've never had the opportunity to use one, and it seems like rangefinder is the worst option for cameras today.

Well, RF not only offers an excellent OVF mechanism to focus accurately with manual lens, but it also allows you to see what is outside of the frame so you can plan out your shot in advanced without moving your eyes out of the finder. Take it for what it's worth. Personally, I prefer EVF over any OVF.

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

Does the M - E Have Live View?
-Jim

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:59 PM
telyt
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

Jim Schemel wrote:
Does the M - E Have Live View?

No.

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

telyt wrote:
No.

Crap !

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

The beauty of a leica,(or any old camera) is the simple controls with a "nice" level of craftsmanship (it's not the best in my opinion.)

the M7 (a film body) has the aperture ring on your lense, and a shutter speed dial by your thumb. The metering is so simple, it requires no thoughs about what is the camera actually doing. That's it. you can't be in the wrong mode, there are none.

The lenses are all great too, there are no duds, and they're all really small.

I question the price, but they charge what the market will continue to pay.

Still in the end, it just takes photos, like anything else, but they're fun to handle and use.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

It hardly matters if the body is $5000 or $2000 if the lenses also cost thousands. Unless you're planning to use Voigtlander glass, but then again it ain't Leica is it? :P

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM
miataroy
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New 24MP Leica M and M-E full-frame rangefinders

VladiD Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right on the button/nose

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password