Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Camera bag for hiking?

Rahul Kaw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera bag for hiking?

Is there on out there that is meant to be used while hiking? I right now carry my camera in backpack with lots of padding or I will carry backpack plus small camera backpack on my chest (facing outwards). It still is a pain to take camera in and out of bag (backpack or camera bag) especially long hikes.
Not looking for a full size camera backpack/bag as I already have that but something that is compact as well as easy to use (not have to remove it & put it back on my shoulders).

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:36 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera bag for hiking?

Waist pack perhaps? How much gear do you want to carry?

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Rahul Kaw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera bag for hiking?

A camera & no more than two lenses. 70-200 & either 16-35 or 24-70

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:44 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera bag for hiking?

A sling bag?

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:24 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera bag for hiking?

aarn backpack with photopockets http://www.aarnusa.com/

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Rahul Kaw
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera bag for hiking?

Interesting. That is how I actually do it right now only difference being I have to remove the camera bag that is on my chest. Will take a look at this, hopefully they are functional enough to be used.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera bag for hiking?

I use them with 5dIII and L-bracket, 70-200 II and other smaller lenses. A bit tighter fit into the non-pro pocket than I like. Hoping they will increase the size a little there in the new models. Without the bracket would be ok.

I really like having everything up front where I can get it without taking everything off.

Nice balance to the load too. That really works.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera bag for hiking?

the aarn pockets look kinda cool. I swear by a waistpack if I'm not hiking too far or carrying too much (think Tank speed freak or speed racer). A well-designed waistpack will transfer weight nicely to your hips and is easy to spin around to the front for easy access without taking it off. I also carry waterbottle pouch etc. on the waist strap.

Sling packs are painful IMO after a few miles.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JustinR
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera bag for hiking?

I love my Mountainsmith TourFX lumbar pack (large waist pack). It's quite comfortable to hike for some distance (much more comfortable than my sling-style bag). And easy to use as a shoulder bag as well. It works fine to carry it in front, but it is really meant to be carried in back, so I usually wear it as a lumbar pack while hiking then undo the waist strap and shift it to the shoulder strap when I get to a location I want to shoot. It is probably bigger than you are needing, I carry a EOS-40D, 17-50/2.8, 30/1.4, 50/1.8, 70-200/4, and flash with room to spare (could easily carry a 24-70 instead of 17-50) - it's tall enough that I can close it with my 70-200/4 mounted.
I don't believe the smaller 'SwiftFX' pack would be able to fit a 70-200/4, and I can imagine anything much smaller would fit a 70-200/2.8. There was a slightly smaller version that they aren't making any more called the 'Day FX' that you may be able to find online that may fit what you are looking for if it is a 70-200/4.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera bag for hiking?

rsk7 wrote:
aarn backpack with photopockets http://www.aarnusa.com/

These look interesting. Do the photopockets only attach to aarn packs, or are they easily attached to other brands?

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera bag for hiking?

I don't know about you, but if I'm out for a hike and see something I want to photograph, I prefer to take off the bag and set it down while I'm working. For that very reason, it's easy enough for me to just keep the camera in my pack. I don't like anything strapped to my chest while I'm hiking. All that weight should really be on the hips.

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:58 AM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera bag for hiking?

dodgyexposure: The photopockets are made to fit AARN packs but I think it would be possible to fit them to other packs. I haven't tried but seems like you would want to replicate how Aarn does it for best results.

Ben Horne: With the AARN pack and photopockets the entire weight is on my hips on the pack belt. When I hike without the pack and just the photopockets either on my chest or back I really miss the pack belt to take carry all that weight. I'm going to get the smallest Aarn pack for hikes I don't need the bigger pack I can still take the small pack just so I can put the weight on the belt.

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:59 PM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera bag for hiking?

rsk7 wrote:
dodgyexposure: The photopockets are made to fit AARN packs but I think it would be possible to fit them to other packs. I haven't tried but seems like you would want to replicate how Aarn does it for best results.

Thanks for your reply. It's hard to see from the photos on the aarn website how the photopacks attach to the backpack harness. Can you describe or link to a photo of the attachment points? e.g. do you need to have multiple rings on your shoulder straps, or do they have strap attachments, or a combination . . . ?

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Glenn Kendall
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera bag for hiking?

One relevant consideration might be how "ready" would you want to be. For quickness, having your camera attached to something like the Cotton Carrier is very useful and not at all encumbering. That leaves you with the option to also have a small back pack or sling bag for extra stuff. You can also add a waist belt w/ attachments to that CC and bag combo for quicker lens changes. If speed isn't a consideration (and/or you don't want to look like a walking zombie with 3 forms of gear), and given your original objections and objectives, a sling bag would be your best bet. IMO.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera bag for hiking?

The Aarn photopockets have a chest strap that goes between the two photopockets. When I have my 70-200 II mounted I just rest the lens tripod bracket over the chest strap when I have the camera out. Makes it quick to shoot and takes the weight off my neck strapand back onto the hip belt.

When mounting a lens without the tripod bracket I just leave the top of one of the pockets open and rest the lens in the pocket with the sides of the body resting on the sides of the pocket.

With either method I have the neckstrap round my neck just in case but the weight is on the pockets and transferred down to the belt.

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password