Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mentor in GTA??

lmatherwelch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mentor in GTA??

So...it doesn't hurt to ask. It's time that I deal with my irrational fear of lighting. I have somehow managed to shoot available light only and the occasional flash for the past 5 years.

I always thought I would just figure it out - I have read and read and read - but I'm the kind of person who learns hands on.

Before I run out and buy a lighting package - which admittedly I don't even know where to start, if there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours talking me of the ledge, and guiding me into the right direction - I would sosososo appreciate it.

To give you an idea what I shoot - I consider myself a semi=pro. I work as a 2nd shooter for two photographers in the area (both of course which only use natural light - go figure) and I spend the rest of the year shooting newborns, kids and families.

I want to be able to offer more - and have a portable lighting set up that I understand and can use.

Thanks for reading.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Jim_Escalante
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mentor in GTA??

I have found Creativelive.com very helpful. Lucky for me I have been able to watch several sessions live, which makes them free. I did buy several tutorials on studio and table top lighting. They take you step by step, and go over lots of good information. but Honestly talking can only go so far, Lots of mysteries will be solved once you start shooting. I know you want help before you buy equipment. The creativelive sessions with Zack Arias, speak well about buying what you can afford. The Zack Arias sessions would be a good place to start.
jim

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mentor in GTA??

I agree, you really need to have the equipment, and practice with it, in order to learn. In addition to this forum, the lighting forum at POTN has tons of threads with people asking for advice on a starting lighting kit.

You might also consult other pros in your area, particularly ones that have a studio, to see if you could help out in their studio.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:55 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mentor in GTA??

This might serve as a launching pad:

http://www.meetup.com/torontophotographyworkshops/events/82400482/

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:29 PM
lmatherwelch

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mentor in GTA??

Thank you! All good information. Brian - thanks - I found a small workshop that might do it for me.

Would still love a mentor if anyone in the area is willing...

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password