Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tripod and head weight rating

Rahul Kaw

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tripod and head weight rating

Say a tripod is rated for 10lbs and head is rated for more than tripod's weight rating, for example 15lbs. In this case if a setup weighing more than what tripod is rated for but lesser than what head is rated is used will that work.

This is just an example and maybe is not a valid one. However I am trying to understand these ratings when used in practice than on paper.

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:20 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Tripod and head weight rating

Your entire setup is only as stable as the weakest link, in this case the legs.

Having a higher rated head may prevent drooping/sagging but the overall stability is still bad if your setup weighs more than the tripod rating.

Edited on Sep 18, 2012 at 02:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:56 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · Tripod and head weight rating

Also, the tripod/head ratings are to be taken with a pinch of salt- make sure your setup is no more than 1/2 to 2/3 the rating of your tripod/head.

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:57 PM
gardenvalley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Tripod and head weight rating

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/921420/0?keyword=x#8696121

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #5 · Tripod and head weight rating

To the best of my limited knowledge, the supposed weight ratings don't correspond to *any* physical standard. It's all up to the manufacturer to assign a pound/Kg rating. While comparing the ratings of 'pods from the same mfg may have some validity, comparing those from different brands is utterly pointless.

My old Slik700 brick is rated at 15#, but will physically support many, many times that load. It works great with my 4x5 and Bronica 6x6, but is not quite up to very long lenses on my digital or film SLR bodies, despite the low total weight. Tell me, Slik, what the *bleep* does '15#' mean?

Instead of the absurd weight capacity rating, some standardized measure that combines strength, rigidity, and vibrational damping might actually be useful.

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 01:05 AM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:49 AM
rchb

p.1 #6 · Tripod and head weight rating

Design engineers normally give substantial safety buffer above the ratings both for safety and liability. However, structural integrity and operational stability may be two entirely different things. Also, even if you’re under the rating of the tripod and head, you may still be exceeding its usefulness to suppress vibration based on the setup you’re using and the conditions.
Rick

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Tripod and head weight rating

90% of the tripod and ballhead weight ratings are just a joke.

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Tripod and head weight rating

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
90% of the tripod and ballhead weight ratings are just a joke.

+1

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password