Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

21reddog

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Comments appreciated....

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:18 AM
21reddog

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

a couple more..

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

5 and 6 are best to me, only because the action is closest to coming towards the camera. I'm not a big fan of 1-4 because its only of the backs of heads. #5 would have been sweet from a lower perspective

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:46 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

nice set

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

No faces or eyes.... could be key plays in the game, but eyes are the window to the soul.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:45 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Need to find an angle that works for you to get faces, 6 is a nice little celebration. Tighter crops are always better too.

Always cool to see people from my area, I actually went to Old Mill. There's another FM'er that goes to Maryland, should get up with him for some tips around the field. Looked at your site too and saw the Monarchs, my fried used to pitch for them. Anyway, small world.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:17 AM
21reddog

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Small world indeed. Really miss those Monarch days.

I was at Photoshop World last week - went to several sessions by Dave Black. His message was "get low, get close, get the eyes, and get the ball" (paraphrased). Very much the views shared here. I'm working on it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ChrisFWilson
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Agree with the lack of eyes. Love the message of get low, get close, get the eyes and get the ball. I'd add that every now and then you should go wide to communicate a sense of place and moment, but Mr. Black pretty much nailed it. FMers tend to want very tight crops and I'm not always in agreement with that sentiment, but in my mind if you don't crop tight, there has to be a reason. I don't really understand the reason behind some of your wider crops.

The biggest issue I have with your set (aside from the lack of eyes and the lose crops) is that the colors on all but #4 seem a bit washed out (could be my monitor).

#1 - not bad, like the movement inherent in the shot. bummer that the arm of the tackler obscures the runner's face. due to the movement it doesn't ruin the shot, but almost does. The color also seems a bit washed out - add a little contrast or black and I'd guess they'll pop a bit more.

#2 - I think I understand your attraction to this one - the ball in the air, almost about to be caught...but the lack of a face kills it. Russ Isabella once said to me that unless I had a face, the shot really had to be capturing something special. To me, this doesn't reach that threshold.

#3 - The crop on this is really wide. Cool moment that might reach the threshold for no face, but it's hard to say because you've got so much distracting space on the left.

#4 - This is a nice sports portrait, profile style. Your colors aren't washed out and you've got a nice clean background.

#5 - As I think someone else commented, get on your knees and you might have more face from the ball carrier. However, you've included way too much on the left again. And *gasp* on this one your horizon seems a little off.

#6 - Again, I think I see why you like this one, but for a moment like this you have to have the face of the guy scoring, not the face of the defender (in my opinion). I think you also have to have the feet not get cut off.

Hope I wasn't too picky! I've learned that when folks really pick apart my photos I get better faster.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:59 PM
21reddog

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Thanks Chris - not too picky at all. I appreciate all of your words.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

I agree with Chris's comments almost to the letter. I would add that with #4, while it's a decent shot, you still don't have much face and it's a bit awkwardly timed. I'd like to see what you got once he'd completed his drop back.

All of these comments make clear that while we commonly see shots that all would agree are decent and many would suggest offer nothing more than 'stock,' even those shots are not easy to come by. There's a lot going on in your average football game and more than one simple element to an all-around strong shot. Your #4 comes closest. In my opinion, you've nailed everything except the moment with this one (meaning that if you stuck with this action, I believe there would have been a better moment in the sequence. I could be wrong. Could be another player or ref obstructed your view at the critical moment. But that doesn't change the fact the moment you captured, though captured with great technical execution, isn't as strong as it could be. Might take shooting 10 drop-backs by this QB to get 'the shot,' but if that's what it takes...)

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM
21reddog

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Thanks Russ. You mentioned another item I picked up in the session I attended at Photoshop World - the importance of getting the peak action. Mr. Black was photographing a US Gymnast during the session, and it was amazing how he shot one frame during each of her routines and hit the peak just about every time.

I've attached the following two frames after #4 to show what happened. I guess one of my main problems is that I was behind the action and not in front of it. I did get a couple of eyes, though - just not of the Maryland guy!!!

Thanks for the comments

Wayne

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM
ChrisFWilson
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Wayne, if you want the eyes of the MD players you definitely have to be either equal with the line of scrimmage, downfield, or ideally in the end zone facing them. One of the mistakes I've made in the past is trying to compensate for not having longer glass by moving up and down the side line "chasing the action." Even now, with a 400, I find myself tempted to move up field and inevitably, in doing so I rob myself of some truly great shots for some decent to cruddy ones. Case and point: this Saturday I moved up to the 20 to shoot Oregon while they were at about midfield. Two plays later they threw a TD pass and the receiver would have run right into my lens (meaning straight at me). It would have been like taking candy from a baby. Instead, I got a somewhat decent shot of the QB setting up to pass and then some cruddy images of the WR's butt as he ran into the endzone. Fabulous.

Where you position yourself plays a huge role in whether you get faces or not. You didn't mention your gear, but if you have long glass (300 or 400) I'd strongly encourage you to consider parking it in the endzone near one corner or the other. You'll get a background that is usually 120 yards away (meaning nice and clean) and you'll get eyes. Even if you are limited to a 70-200, I'd still encourage you to be in the endzone when the offense hits the 20. Just something to think about.

Oh, and on this second shot you just posted, notice how your camera focused on the players behind the action? My guess is you got excited and lost your focus point on the QB. If not, my apologies for the assumption. If I'm right, one suggestion I got from a guy was to focus on your breath and "just shoot" as opposed to noticing that the QB is about to get sacked and getting excited about the photo I'm about to nail. I've found that it keeps me firmly in the present moment and makes it easier to do my job.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:22 AM
21reddog

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

Thanks Chris

yeah, excitement probably got the best of me!

I'm going with a 70-200, and a 300 (with a 1D MkIV and 7D) I have a 1.4x but don't bring it out too often. I do spend a lot of time running up and down the sideline. Staying put in the end zone sounds like a good plan.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:32 AM
Pixel1970
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Maryland vs UCONN: NCAA Football

For quarterbacks and running backs I like to position myself about 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage to get the quarterback dropping back and or rolling out of the pocket and also getting the running back on a sweep coming towards my sideline. I might have to sacrifice a handful of plays to get these primarily stock shots but I always come back with solid isolated shots of them with good faces. Just make sure you're on the opposite sideline than the chain gang. The ball boys and refs will always be there, you just have to work around them.
For everything else the endzone is ideal because you normally have a clear shot of the plays on the sidelines that are almost impossible to get from the sidelines unless the play is right on top of you.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:43 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password