p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Sigma lenses

35, but no 24 yet... gotta wait more.

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:30 AM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Sigma lenses

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well I wouldn't say no, but I'd prefer a bit more flexibility, so at least a 4x zoom @ 125-500 f/5.6

How about a 240-600mm f/5.6? In other words, since so many people seem to use the 120-300 OS with a 2xTC, make a lens that supports this range but without the IQ limitations introduced with the usage of a 2xTC.

My current 120-300 OS is great from what I've used it so far. Hasn't gotten out much though, just haven't had the need I thought I would. Maybe they'll price the new one higher than the current version so I can get a decent price if I decide to sell it!

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:37 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Sigma lenses

I have to admit that new 120-300 definitely has me interested. It's got the speed for indoor sports and when combined with a 1.4x TC it's got extra reach for field sports at a still pretty nice constant f4. Great flexibility. Just hope the AF is solid. The reviews in the past all seem to follow the same theme. Great zoom but the AF could be a little bit more consistent.

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:10 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Sigma lenses

SInce I've been working on this year's repair data, I suspect we'll find a more robust USM motor and AF helicoids in the new version. Optically it's not changed at all.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Sigma lenses

RCicala wrote:
SInce I've been working on this year's repair data, I suspect we'll find a more robust USM motor and AF helicoids in the new version. Optically it's not changed at all.

does that mean you've had lots of the current OS versions in need of repair Roger?

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Sigma lenses

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
does that mean you've had lots of the current OS versions in need of repair Roger?

Only 7 out of 20 in 2012. But since we had 5 others out of the same 20 in 2011 I would definitely say lots. I think 7 of the 11 were USM.

On a positive note, compared to the nightmare of getting the old one serviced (they used to all go to Japan back in the day), these have been fixed quickly and well by Sigma. They've been getting fixed and back in days, rather than months. So props to Sigma factory service.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Sigma lenses

RCicala wrote:
Only 7 out of 20 in 2012. But since we had 5 others out of the same 20 in 2011 I would definitely say lots. I think 7 of the 11 were USM.

On a positive note, compared to the nightmare of getting the old one serviced (they used to all go to Japan back in the day), these have been fixed quickly and well by Sigma. They've been getting fixed and back in days, rather than months. So props to Sigma factory service.

I tried to get a Sigma 150 macro repaired ( it needed a new element that had a bit of fungus), and after 3 months the repair shop said they still had not received the part and said they had no idea how long it would take.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:38 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Sigma lenses

http://blip.tv/fototvcomnews/photokinatv-new-sigma-lenses-6360452

Above link has a video interview with the CEO of Sigma Corporation showing the 3 new lenses and the dock which I initially mistook for a 1.4x TC- pretty cool designs all around!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM
alexdi
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Sigma lenses

MTF charts for the 35/1.4 are very close to Canon's version. The two should post nearly identical performance. Anyone care to speculate on a price? I'm guessing $800.

Sep 22, 2012 at 01:05 AM
jonorees

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Sigma lenses

Hmmm...

Had been pondering for a while to go with either the canon 50 1.2 or the 35 1.4, and decided to go with the 50mm.

Sigma might have just made in affordable to have the best of both, especially if the image quality is going to be very similar.

Really interested on pricing now...

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:17 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Sigma lenses

I think the addition of a focus limiter to the 120-300 will address the main issue I've found with this lens (I've had it for a year now). In my experience the AF is very accurate and the lens is very sharp on my 7D but it can be a little slow if the target starts out a long way out of focus - I think the limiter should help.

I paid £2059 for mine from a reputable camera shop here in the UK last September, they are now £1699 from that store - that's a bargain given the flexibility and speed this lens offers (when paired with TCs). It will be interesting to see the price of the new sport version.

Paul.

Sep 22, 2012 at 08:11 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Sigma lenses

EB-1 wrote:
+1. I don't want all that extra work. Sigma should just make the lens properly. My old 300/2.8 and 120-300/2.8 lenses were nightmarish and I doubt Sigma has changed.

EBH

Do you use MA on your camera?

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Sigma lenses

Very cool. I like their 50 1.4. No AF issues. Quality is right there with the 50L.
The EX lenses have solid build. I hope they are not Tamron-esque.

Looking fwd to the 35mm 1.4!

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:38 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · New Sigma lenses

alexdi wrote:
MTF charts for the 35/1.4 are very close to Canon's version. The two should post nearly identical performance. Anyone care to speculate on a price? I'm guessing $800.

Are you sure you’re not comparing Canon’s f/8 curves with Sigma’s wide-open curves? I ask because the curves I’m looking at, from here and here (PDF), aren’t close. The Sigma curves are much better.

Not that I place too much confidence in either Canon or Sigma’s MTF curves, I should add!

I think the price will be well over $800. Doesn’t Sigma’s 85 mm f/1.4 cost more than that? The 35 mm likely costs more to make, too.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:11 AM
rachelsdad
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · New Sigma lenses

If this holds UP I will be in line for one of the new 12-300s when they come out! Steven

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:17 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · New Sigma lenses

alexdi wrote:

$1100.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:28 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · New Sigma lenses

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:48 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.