New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

kodakeos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

Illusions of Grandure :
I found a set of a ProFoto Acute 2 1200 and a D4 flash head on sale back when I was in college. Picked it up for a good deal and always thought I would use them more 'later' once I bought more heads.
Well now its been 7 years and I use it maybe once a year. Decided that since I can still get ~$1500 for the set Id rather have a 17mm TS-E and a smaller 2/3 light combo.

Ive seen a lot of buzz about the alien bees. (sorry!) But I have no idea what i really need. Ive got 4 canon flashes and really dont shoot a lot of studio stuff. Im hoping i can pick up a 2/3 set system for maybe 1/2 of $ I get out of the profoto. What do you all recommend?

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:41 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

Once a year.. hire it when you need it or borrow what you can.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

Renting sounds about right, as the previous poster mentioned. In LA, you can rent monolights for $20 a day. If not, pick up a couple Alien Bees from Ebay. But a nice TS lens seems like just the ticket.

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:04 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

Ok, so now I have my acute2 1200 r and d4 head for sale -
Ive tried it at 2200 and now reaching about $1800 and I havent had any interest. Am I too high or what?

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:00 AM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

I would say your pricing is pretty close to what these sell for on average. Generally that pack will sell for roughly $1,000.00 used and the D4 head for about $600.00. Lately a lot of people are moving away from pack/head systems and opting for the monolights. Personally I prefer the pack and head setup and would certainly say the acute packs are fantastic in every way, as are the d4 heads. If I wasn't already well set for acute packs, I would buy the set myself. Good luck in the sale of these great tools.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:10 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling my ProFoto -What could I replace it with

Price is good, but break the package: most bottom-feeding Profoto users (like me) already have enough heads (or enough packs).

Oct 04, 2012 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.