Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

Again it has been foggy so I shot more botanicals than coastline. One is just an unusual piece of foliage and two are in my favorite bugs eye view.

Canon EOS REBEL T3i    EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens    55mm    f/18.0    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

I really like #1 - the division into two areas with the left looking as if it is about to devour the right! Maybe remove the stray leaf(?) at the top right?

Neat, neat, neat!

Bob

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

Jim,
1. Very interesting. Neat subject and I like how the image is composed. I had a similar reaction to Bob. Feels a bit painfully detailed. What about adding a bit of blur to the straw in the background?
2. I really like this one too. It feels like an intimate, almost internal viewing. Reminds me of an underwater scene. Maybe a bit of edge sharpening?
3. Very nice. Looks a bit soft and I wish you had more DOF, but you cant have everything! The colors and content are interesting and the framing is nice. I would spend a bit more time in post. Consider some vignette as well as sharpening.

Scott

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

1. Love the detail and subject study. Might crop just a tad from the left.
2. Cool angle and lighting. I like the lines here too. Could be a bit sharper.
3. Are we looking at a crop here? Seems a bit soft. Nice job with the framing and colors.

- Paul

Sep 18, 2012 at 01:03 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

Thanks for the comments. I recently posted some Bodega Bay fog images and did some oversharpening so I intentionally backed off on the sharpening for the 2nd and 3rd images. These had minimal processing and I think the next step would be some selective sharpening and unsharp mask at 20,50. There is also a tedious but effective method for sharpening this sort of image. A fine tip burn brush set to shadows and about 15% works well and is very simple but slow.

The first image was processed using a heavy dose of Topaz. I rarely process any images with this intensity but I liked the effect. I also burned in the shadows behind the straw to make the straw pop even more. I considered cloning out the straw in the upper right but decided I liked it as is.

Sep 18, 2012 at 01:38 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Bodega Bay Botanicals

Plucking off the dead twigs in the upper right would have been a plus. Perhaps darken the background, bump the vibrance and add some selective sharpening and some vignette?

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password