Archive 2012 · Canon autumn photography

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Canon autumn photography

artsupreme wrote:
Those were all shot with the 5D2 and lovely 100-400

Brett,

I'm so confused it's pretty easy actually, must have been looking at a 5D3 post before yours, still a really nice set and the 5D2's IQ is quite stunning...hmmm, now what do I do, 5D2 or 6D

A question for ya, has there been any new construction, ie. boardwalk put up, laid down, down near the Wedge? It's been 4+ yrs since I've been in Newport rolling about, last time I was there was winter of 07; love winter swells I'll be headed that way in November, was wondering if I need to bring something bigger that a 300?

Jerry

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:35 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Canon autumn photography

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, there was no wind.....what you see is OoF bush and sticks in the background which the lens couldn't blow out fully even at f/3.2 because they were not far enough behind the bird.
I have a couple of perches with a perfect geometry and the fall background, however, the GB pijun hasn't gone there lately.
Here is another one from the same series, the same effect of OoF sticks and scrub.

Peter,
My uncle is a painter of the canvas variety, those OoF backgrounds have the look of an oil painting, quite attractive
With a BIF I imagine panning would be okay with the 1DX, but how about tracking a pijun/BIF; would the new AF do well or might it get confused with that background clutter?
Jerry

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Canon autumn photography

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter,
My uncle is a painter of the canvas variety, those OoF backgrounds have the look of an oil painting, quite attractive
With a BIF I imagine panning would be okay with the 1DX, but how about tracking a pijun/BIF; would the new AF do well or might it get confused with that background clutter?
Jerry

Jerry, sure thing, 1DX jumps to the background here and there when shooting a smaller bird. Now, with a bigger bird close up, that shouldn't happen although one has a DOF problem there, and a shot like the one below is harder on the photographer than on the camera/lens..

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 06:20 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:06 PM
verygoot

p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Canon autumn photography

From the first wedding I ever shot

1D III, 16-35 2.8L

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb5hfyBYJj1qzbme6o3_1280.jpg

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 07:41 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Canon autumn photography

Peter thanks for the confirm...and what a stunning pijun image, crystal clear...absolutley beautiful

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:25 PM
roboticspro
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Canon autumn photography

Hi,

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, sure thing, 1DX jumps to the background here and there when shooting a smaller bird. Now, with a bigger bird close up, that shouldn't happen although one has a DOF problem there, and a shot like the one below is harder on the photographer than on the camera/lens..

Stunning Peter....

Edd

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:23 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Canon autumn photography

Thank you, Edd and Jerry, glad you like that one, although I tend to see flaws in it as opposed to strengths. Some things need to be done better, and that's the challenge of most human endeavours, be they a craft, science, sports or whatever.

Here is a more peaceful fallish scene done with 1DX + 300 f/2.8 IS MkI.

(1) Wide treatment
(2) Portrait treatment

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:51 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Canon autumn photography

I have a quick Q Peter. I remember seeing a similar photo of yours of a GB pulling at his/her feathers as in post p17#20 but it was with your 1D2N and 400/2.8. That photo was a whole lot sharper in terms of feather detail than the current one with the 1Dx.

Are all these SOOC ?

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Canon autumn photography

Shreeni, I can not quite recall that 1DMkIIN image you are referrring to, however, all images I keep, regardless of what equipment they are taken with, must pass a basic IQ standard. If not, they get deleted......I do not do photoshop salvaging work.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:33 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Canon autumn photography

sritri wrote:
I have a quick Q Peter. I remember seeing a similar photo of yours of a GB pulling at his/her feathers as in post p17#20 but it was with your 1D2N and 400/2.8. That photo was a whole lot sharper in terms of feather detail than the current one with the 1Dx.

Are all these SOOC ?

Sritri...I've noticed the same, did some research, compared some jepgs and found out the 1DIIN and the 5D classic have the same pixel size...might be just my eyes but the old gears IQ looks truly amazing at lower ISO's; up to 800!

@ Peter, the fact that you don't post process other than reducing size for FM posts is a testament to your seeing, mastery of imaging making

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:34 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Canon autumn photography

I don't recall completely why that thread started but I think it was about controlling whites, shadow detail and such!

Jerry : After I sold my 5D Mark II, I am forced to shoot with the old 20D and with the current s/w I feel the same

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Canon autumn photography

sritri wrote:

I don't recall completely why that thread started but I think it was about controlling whites, shadow detail and such!

Jerry : After I sold my 5D Mark II, I am forced to shoot with the old 20D and with the current s/w I feel the same

I almost popped for a 20D but stayed only film until late 07 when the 40D hit. It's been tough for me to decide which FF to go after, I just got a used 50D tbh don't see a huge difference in IQ, I like the 40D's. The only new option that I like is the 50D's LCD and that's when, for me, either a 5D2 or more likely a 6D will be my entry into FF.

Give me a 12Mp sensor with better ISO and DR with an articulated screen and I'd be
But I doubt Canon will go backwards on MP...it's all the rage

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:30 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Canon autumn photography

StillFingerz wrote:
@ Peter, the fact that you don't post process other than reducing size for FM posts is a testament to your seeing, mastery of imaging making

Jerry, I do postprocess here and there.........sometimes more, sometimes less, but my pp time is measured in minutes per image, not hours, let alone days.
One reason for that is that I discard lottsa shots and keep only those that look good enough SOOC.
Consequently, my keeper rate is quite low.

As far as 1DX is concerned, it is a very good camera. I still have not optimised my long range JPG shots with it, but I will eventually get there.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:57 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Canon autumn photography

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, I do postprocess here and there.........sometimes more, sometimes less, but my pp time is measured in minutes per image, not hours, let alone days.
One reason for that is that I discard lottsa shots and keep only those that look good enough SOOC.
Consequently, my keeper rate is quite low.

As far as 1DX is concerned, it is a very good camera. I still have not optimised my long range JPG shots with it, but I will eventually get there.

It's funny Peter, I still fall back into my old film mindset. A high keeper rate was mandatory, I shot slide film exclusively, if you weren't prepared, knew your gears inside/out, you didn't take your time, know how to compose, what light to shoot in, this hobby got real expensive...not just film costs but time lost

My keeper rate is quite low with digital, if it ain't sharp it's in the bin, no PP can fix an out-of-focus shot or botched exposure. The huge advantage with digital for me is the ability to crop, sometimes a bit of extra frame helps given my wheeled challenges!

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:30 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Canon autumn photography

Jerry, indeed, the digital format has given a new life to the craft/art of photography.
I used to have two cameras and three inexpensive lenses which I used for 30 years on special occasions only: birthdays, family vacations etc. Merely a sparse family memories record of hit and miss technical quality.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:19 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Canon autumn photography

All with 5D MKII.

Fall Sunrise
Leica R 70-180 APO
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/5_Into_The_Sun_IMG_2805.jpg

Early Morning Reflection
Leica R 70-180 APO
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/6_80_20_IMG_1937%201.jpg

Mid Morning
Hartblei 40 T+S (40 shot stitched)
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/0_color.jpg

Midnight Moonlight
Zeiss 25 ZF.2 2.0
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/9_Movement_IMG_2600.jpg

1 AM Moonlight Shadows
Zeiss 25 ZF.2 2.0
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/Landscape_Movement_shadows_IMG_2617.jpg

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:37 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Canon autumn photography

Where's all the pics from the midwest? I'm hearing Michigan has some of the best fall foliage they've had in years....bright reds, yellows, oranges, let's see it.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:41 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Canon autumn photography

Handheld 1DX + 300 f/2.8 IS MkI + 2xTC MkIII

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 08:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Canon autumn photography

Hello Peter,

No need to praise these. Running of vocabulary.

Do you think comparable results as these can be obtained from the 400 f/2.8 + TC?

Db

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Canon autumn photography

Doctorbird wrote:
Hello Peter,

No need to praise these. Running of vocabulary.

Do you think comparable results as these can be obtained from the 400 f/2.8 + TC?

Db

Thanx dB.......400 f/2.8 IS MkII + 2xTC MkIII can do a bit better re IQ, and it will AF quite a bit faster than this combo. In addition, the OoF blur and bokeh will be deeper and more diffused, for a noticeably more pleasing overall effect .

Take a look at the pic. #1 as an example. The water ripples are breaking the yellow reflection, and I am not too keen on that. If the same scene was shot with 400 II + 2xTC MkIII, that background would have probably become a smooth and uniform coloured yellowish blur.

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:41 PM
1       2       3              17      
       19              59       60       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              59       60       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.