Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

(IMO) It's not realistic or practical to change the MA setting every time you change the aperture when you are out shooting. And it's most important wide open where you have less DOF than at any other aperture. If there is a large difference on the lens at different f-stops, maybe Canon should check and adjust it for you.

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:37 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Lars Johnsson wrote:
(IMO) It's not realistic or practical to change the MA setting every time you change the aperture when you are out shooting. And it's most important wide open where you have less DOF than at any other aperture. If there is a large difference on the lens at different f-stops, maybe Canon should check and adjust it for you.

Let's say we're talking about the 50L here, and let's say for several reasons I shoot it almost exclusively at f2. In such a case, wide open MA is pretty much irrelevant and indeed wrong.

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:38 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Focus shift is something Canon won't be changing on my lens or anyone elses. My 500/f4 had the same exact properties and it was always MA accordingly.

"Some wide aperture prime lenses exhibit focus shift: they may focus accurately wide open, but then backfocus or frontfocus slightly as the lens is stopped down."

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM
ICee
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

AFC168 wrote:
Do you get different results at different focal lengths? Also, if you run it again a day later, do you still get the same results?

I get a different result every time I run it

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

stanj wrote:
Let's say we're talking about the 50L here, and let's say for several reasons I shoot it almost exclusively at f2. In such a case, wide open MA is pretty much irrelevant and indeed wrong.

But 99% here don't use the lens like you do. And I can't see why you would like to change the MA if only using the lens at f/2 !! That's the same aperture everytime

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

I think he meant you can't use FoCal Plus if using any other aperture than the largest one for each lens. Perhaps I am wrong, but that was my impression. If this is indeed the case, I will need to get the Pro version to work with my macro lenses.

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:27 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

vsg28 wrote:
I think he meant you can't use FoCal Plus if using any other aperture than the largest one for each lens. Perhaps I am wrong, but that was my impression. If this is indeed the case, I will need to get the Pro version to work with my macro lenses.

Exactly.

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:05 PM
AFC168
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Are they close at least?

ICee wrote:
I get a different result every time I run it

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

vsg28 wrote:

Do you really like to MA the lenses in the field every time you change f-stop?

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Andrew J wrote:
Focus shift is something Canon won't be changing on my lens or anyone elses. My 500/f4 had the same exact properties and it was always MA accordingly.

"Some wide aperture prime lenses exhibit focus shift: they may focus accurately wide open, but then backfocus or frontfocus slightly as the lens is stopped down."

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/

the lenses will will also have focus shift at one distance but not at another distance. Will you also MA at many different distances and then change the setting when shooting at different distances?
And I'm not even going to talk about field curvature which is more common than focus shift and will affect many many lenses

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:53 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Do you really like to MA the lenses in the field every time you change f-stop?

No, but this is useful for cases when you do shoot your fast lens stopped down at a particular stop more often than not. What these cases may be will vary from person to person.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:31 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

vsg28 wrote:
No, but this is useful for cases when you do shoot your fast lens stopped down at a particular stop more often than not. What these cases may be will vary from person to person.

Good luck when you MA the macro lenses in your profile with FoCal at different f-stops

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:27 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Well I won't be doing a lot of MA for macro lenses (Manual focus still rules there) but I was being general there.

I completely am with you in that it is ridiculous to keep changing MA values each time you change the f-stop but if one shoots a lens at a particular f-stop which is not the largest aperture available then one needs to be aware of potential focus issues. That's all.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Greggbhill wrote:
You are allowed to update your list of serial numbers (10 times if I remember right). I rented a second 5D3 last week and added the serial number to my list without any trouble.

I remembered where I saw the 10 updates bit -- in the Licence Management System (LMS).
You can have up to 5 bodies registered at any given time, but it looks like you can only make 10 changes (excerpts from my account screen in the license management system):

License Information
Updates Used 1 of 10

Upate the License
Your license can be updated a limited number of times (see the Updates Used field above). Each time you click the button below, you will use one of your updates. If you have used them all up you should contact Reikan may be required to purchase a Commercial license in order to make any further updates.

Please tick the box to confirm that you understand this information

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM
ICee
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

AFC168 wrote:
Are they close at least?

They tend to be in the 2-5 area.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM
markymarc
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Is the Pro version worth the extra $35 or so--especially if you have a 5d3?

Marc

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Bob Kane
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

I have my Nomex suit on so I offer this: I get better results by pasting a magazine page to my shed door as a target than I've gotten with LensAlign. It's repeatable and accurate, fast and cheap. Just pick a strong graphic and give it a try.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:27 AM
AFC168
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Micro-adjusting lenses: FoCal vs. Lens Align vs. ...

Oh ... I was hoping for a little better than that ...

ICee wrote:
They tend to be in the 2-5 area.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:19 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password