Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · What are my rights?

Chad S
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What are my rights?

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago, and posted the first batch of pics on my website and on Facebook yesterday.

I get a text from the bride, who is a friend, and a sweetheart (no issues with her at all). She says that she loves the pictures, but one of the bridesmaids informed her that she doesn't want any pictures of her (or her daughter) on the internet at all

The bridesmaid in question, and her daughter, actively participated in every part of the wedding, including posing for all of the formals, but never informed me or the bride that she didn't want her picture online.

So....what are my rights here? My only objective is to make the bride happy. She doesn't want the pictures taken down, but she also doesn't want to start trouble with this person, because she is also her new sister-in-law.

If I can play "bad cop" for her, it gives her an excuse to just say that the photographer won't take the photos down, and there's nothing she can do about it.

That way the psycho bridesmaid can't be mad at her.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:34 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What are my rights?

Can you only take down the photos that the bridesmaid and her child are in?

- trr

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:39 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · What are my rights?

You usually acquire model rights signed by the B&G in your contract, which gives you legal rights to use the images of your B&G on your website and your other marketing endeavors. While we all use images of other people, we actually don't have the rights unless they sign a separate model release.

In this case, I would take any pictures of the woman and her daughter down.

Ron

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #4 · What are my rights?

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

I could, but that would mean the majority of the formals wouldn't be posted.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:42 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #5 · What are my rights?

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

Exactly. There has to be more to the wedding than just photos with the bridesmaid/sil & child in it. Whether you have the right to post them isn't going to create goodwill with anyone.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What are my rights?

Take the photos down. In this business you don't want any bad feelings from anyone.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #7 · What are my rights?

Chad S wrote:
I could, but that would mean the majority of the formals wouldn't be posted.

Edit hard, show only your best and show what you want to shoot. How many shots did you post on FB and are they really showing your work at it's best?

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #8 · What are my rights?

jcolman wrote:
Take the photos down. In this business you don't want any bad feelings from anyone.

This is where I have the advantage. I have one more wedding this summer, then I'm selling all my gear.

I'll gladly take a flame thrower to this bridge if it makes the bride happy.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:45 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · What are my rights?

Just blur their faces if they are in a significant number of photos you want to use. Have or can you talk to this person to find out what her reservations are? Tough call it may just be easier to take them down...

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:49 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · What are my rights?

You're selling all your gear as in quitting? Then why care at all what is posted?

- trr

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chad S
• • •
p.1 #11 · What are my rights?

TRReichman wrote:
You're selling all your gear as in quitting? Then why care at all what is posted?

- trr

Yes, quitting.

I care because the bride cares. She doesn't want the pictures taken down, but doesn't want to stand up to her new sister-in-law.

Plus, this bridesmaid is a total bitch. Displeasing her would make me happy

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · What are my rights?

Chad S wrote:
Yes, quitting.

I care because the bride cares. She doesn't want the pictures taken down, but doesn't want to stand up to her new sister-in-law.

Plus, this bridesmaid is a total bitch. Displeasing her would make me happy

A bit off topic, but why are you quitting?

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:10 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · What are my rights?

If you are really quitting, can she sue you and win if not DESPLEASE her so she wont do the same again (posing in every shot she could and then mess around) if I dont want me and my 8 years of age son to be on the Internet then I avoid being
in the poses.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #14 · What are my rights?

Inku Yo wrote:
A bit off topic, but why are you quitting?

Every single part of me that was ever interested in photography....has left the building.

I don't know what happened, but it's just gone.

Look for a LOT of really nice Canon gear on the buy & sell forum after Sept 22nd

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:22 PM
deeno
• •
p.1 #15 · What are my rights?

unless you have something signed by her it could probably get messy for you... or at best, just end up being a big pain in the ass and a huge waste of time in a small court.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.1 #16 · What are my rights?

Put a giant box over her face. Ha! JK!

Do you have a model release in your contract? Also...I'd take it down... would hate to have one upset client over a situation that can be avoided. Do you really need the formals posted on fb?

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #17 · What are my rights?

Sarah Brewbake wrote:
Put a giant box over her face. Ha! JK!

I like that idea a lot, except I would use a paper bag. Her family would think it was funny too. Pretty sure no one likes her.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · What are my rights?

Maybe the bride really wants them down and gave you an excuse. Just take them down and move on.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:37 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #19 · What are my rights?

Did the bride say WHY the bridesmaid didn't want her and her daughters photos online ? Just curious.....is she on the lam ? Parole violator ? Stalking ex ? Wanted by the law ?

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #20 · What are my rights?

sboerup wrote:
Maybe the bride really wants them down and gave you an excuse. Just take them down and move on.

I've known the bride for roughly ten years. She definitely does not want them down. She wants all the pictures from her big day to be posted online for all her friends and family to see, and that shouldn't be too much to ask. Her psycho new sister-in-law can suck it.

I have a feeling that the sister-in-law will probably just forget about this and move on. The pics are staying up unless I hear something serious from someone serious.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:46 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password