Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              6       7       end
  

Archive 2012 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?
  
 
Wahoowa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


I'm interested in opinions from those of you who are in the market for full frame. I'd like to know how 5D2 will survive in the used market. Interestingly, 5D2 is still on the product page, so it hasn't been discontinued.

Thank you all for your response.



Sep 17, 2012 at 01:49 PM
kewlcanon
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Where is the option switching to Pentax FF (it's coming) ?. .


Sep 17, 2012 at 01:56 PM
pkupcik
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


6D has only 1/4000s max shutter speed, which basically kills it for me as a viable option against 5D II or 5D III, regardless of nice things such as smaller body, nice LCD, GPS and WIFI. 1/180s flash X-sync speed is also a disappointment.


Sep 17, 2012 at 01:58 PM
stargazer78
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Wahoowa wrote:
I'm interested in opinions from those of you who are in the market for full frame. Thank you all for your response.



5D2 Significant Advantages:

  1. Max 1/8000 sec shutter speed (vs 1/4000)

  2. Joystick

  3. A.I. servo has 6 assist AF points



6D Significant Advantages:

  1. No banding at high ISO (5D2 is terrible after ISO 6400)

  2. GPS tags location onto photos

  3. Wi-fi allows remote control via smartphone

  4. Center AF point remains operational down to -3.0 eV (vs -0.5 eV)

  5. Silent shooting mode like 5D3



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:01 PM
Breitling65
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


I am not going to switch just because of some new cheesy camera got released To me it is same as EOS Rebel XS/1000D 2008 release, anyone remember this body?
Optics/glass is much more important and Canon still good with it. 5D3 is absolutely what I need.



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:07 PM
umihoshijima
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Hasn't the joystick been replaced by the 60D's rear wheel with built in directional pad?


Sep 17, 2012 at 02:08 PM
mMontag
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Why do people keep referencing 1/4000 SS - the latest specs are indeed listing 1/8000.

Whoops - found the spec on the Canon site (maybe they know?) - it does list 1/4000 - that alone kills it for me & have now stopped looking at the 6d. Another big detriment is the 100,000 shutter life.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 5d mainly for landscape work - my interest has just turned to Sony - done.



Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:15 PM
jamesf99
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


stargazer78 wrote:
5D2 Significant Advantages:

  1. Max 1/8000 sec shutter speed (vs 1/4000)

  2. Joystick

  3. A.I. servo has 6 assist AF points


6D Significant Advantages:

  1. No banding at high ISO (5D2 is terrible after ISO 6400)

  2. GPS tags location onto photos

  3. Wi-fi allows remote control via smartphone

  4. Center AF point remains operational down to -3.0 eV (vs -0.5 eV)

  5. Silent shooting mode like 5D3



Looks a little biased if you ask me, but since I haven't used a 6d, unlike the 5d2, I'll start a new list with unknown/unproven....

5D2 Proven Advantages:

  1. Max 1/8000 sec shutter speed (vs 1/4000)

  2. Joystick

  3. A.I. servo has 6 assist AF points

  4. CF card vs. SD card

  5. Lower price

  6. Higher resolution

  7. replaceable VF screen

  8. 1/200s flash X-sync speed

  9. Possibly better weather resistance as opposed to "splash resistance"


6D Unproven or possible slight Advantages:

  1. No banding at high ISO (5D2 is terrible after ISO 6400) (NOT valid, No proof)

  2. GPS tags location onto photos - unproven implementation

  3. Wi-fi allows remote control via smartphone - unproven implementation

  4. Center AF point remains operational down to -3.0 eV (vs -0.5 eV) - unproven implementation

  5. Silent shooting mode like 5D3 - unproven implementation


The 6d amounts to a wash after 4+ years of development and smacks of a rush job to offer something, anything, to keep Nikon from blowing Canon out of the water.

Someone did a quick comparison here...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1228882&page=13


Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 02:40 PM · View previous versions



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:17 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


If I need the FF camera soon? I'd get the 5D2 without hesitation.

If I need it later? I'd probably wait until the market is saturated with disappointed 6D owners and buy it cheap 2nd hand.

6D features I found useful.
- Interchangeable focus screen. I'd love to use a more accurate screen with my MPE65 lens.
- Built-in WiFi. Would be nice for family photos with me in it and Landscape.
- Clean high ISO.

The feature I'm indifferent to is the Built-in GPS. Nice to have outdoor, useless indoor.

Four unnecessarily crippled features of the 6D are as followed,

1. 1 cross type AF. How can the latest Rebel have more useful AF points? Sure the Rebel's center AF might not be as good as the 6D but I bet all the other AF points are more useful then the 6D.

2. 97% VF coverage. Why cripple it?

3. Single axis electronic level. C'mon Canon... What's the point? Might as well take it out and exchange it for a 100% VF coverage.

4. No popup flash. It'd be nice to have one for fill flash without having to bring a dedicated flashgun. Or perhaps Canon's trying to cross-sell their EOS M flash, the 90EX?



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM
jamesf99
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


n0b0 wrote:
6D features I found useful.
- Interchangeable focus screen.


Curious. Where did you find that? Canon is doing away with VF mods, except on the 1Dx from everything I've seen/read.



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



stargazer78
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


jamesf99 wrote:
5D2 Proven Advantages:

CF card vs. SD card


Not an advantage. It all depends on what camera you're upgrading from, doesn't it? The SD Card compatibility of a 6D would be advantageous for upgraders who use SD cards (i.e. 650D, 60D, D7000, Micro Four Thirds, Sony NEX).

jamesf99 wrote:
Higher resolution


You call a 0.9 megapixel difference a significant advantage? Really?


jamesf99 wrote:
replaceable VF screen


The 6D also has replaceable VF screen. In fact, it uses the same Eg screens as the 5D2.



jamesf99 wrote:
Possibly better weather resistance as opposed to "splash resistance"


You're just arbitrarily making stuff up now. There is no reason why anybody would come to that conclusion. How did you even come up with that?




jamesf99 wrote:
(5D2 is terrible after ISO 6400) (NOT valid, No proof)


The 5D2 uses a sensor largely based on an old 2007 design. It's ancient. It has a 33% quantum efficiency, easily the lowest of any SLR still in production today. Newer Canon sensors have become increasingly more efficient with each generation. 7D has a 41% QE. The 1D4 has 44%. The 5D3 has 49%. It's more than reasonable to assume that the 6D will have a much higher efficiency than the 5D2.



jamesf99 wrote:
GPS tags location onto photos - unproven implementation



Uhhh... yes it is. Maybe you should actually read the 6D previews before you start spreading misinformation. The 6D isn't exactly the first Canon camera with GPS y'know.



jamesf99 wrote:
Wi-fi allows remote control via smartphone - unproven implementation


Maybe you should actually read the 6D previews before you start spreading misinformation. The 6D comes with an app for Android/iOS that feeds live view and remote control to smartphones.


jamesf99 wrote:
Center AF point remains operational down to -3.0 eV (vs -0.5 eV) - unproven implementation


So you're saying Canon is lying about their specs sheet?



jamesf99 wrote:
Silent shooting mode like 5D3 - unproven implementation


So you're saying dpreview was lying in their preview article?



You're simply being obnoxious, jamessf99.



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


jamesf99 wrote:
Curious. Where did you find that? Canon is doing away with VF mods, except on the 1Dx from everything I've seen/read.


Focusing Screen
Eg-A II provided. Interchangeable with Eg-D and Eg-S. Incompatible with Eg-A.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d#Specifications



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:50 PM
jamesf99
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


stargazer78 wrote:
Not an advantage. It all depends on what camera you're upgrading from, doesn't it? The SD Card compatibility of a 6D would be advantageous for upgraders who use SD cards (i.e. 650D, 60D, D7000, Micro Four Thirds, Sony NEX).

You call a 0.9 megapixel difference a "significant" advantage? Really?


Huh? I never did. Why don't you read it again, but a little slower this time... I said "higher resolution" and yes, 21.x is higher than 20.x, unless you use some new math...



The 6D also has replaceable VF screen. In fact, it uses the same Eg screens as the 5D2.


I looked, but couldn't find that, but I'm glad it does..




You're just arbitrarily making stuff up now. There is no reason why anybody would come to that conclusion. How did you even come up with that?



Get a clue. That's what Canon says, not me. Why don't you read first, then make nonsense statements?

Twain said it best. "First get your facts. then you can distort them at your leisure".





The 5D2 uses a sensor largely based on an old 2007 design. It's ancient. It has a 33% quantum efficiency, easily the lowest of any SLR still in production today. Newer Canon sensors have become increasingly more efficient with each generation. 7D has a 41% QE. The 1D4 has 44%. The 5D3 has 49%. It's more than reasonable to assume that the 6D will have a much higher efficiency than the 5D2.



Fine, show me the samples. I'm sure we all would like to see them... BTW - the 5d3 shows a miniscule improvement over the 5d2 in real life, but I'm sure you don't like that fact....





Uhhh... yes it is. Maybe you should actually read the 6D previews before you start spreading misinformation. The 6D isn't exactly the first Canon camera with GPS y'know.


Where? where's the demonstrable proof, because in reading several sites, it's no where to be found. Until I see it, and it could be out there somewhere, I'll just chalk it up to more nonsense on your part, which is 90% of what you say in all posts.





Maybe you should actually read the 6D previews before you start spreading misinformation. The 6D comes with an app for Android/iOS that feeds live view and remote control to smartphones.


So you're saying Canon is lying about their specs sheet?



Am I saying they're lying? Nope. What's to lie about. They haven't said that it's any better than what we had in 2005 with the difference of 1 EV. Have they made claims that didn't live up to what they said in the past? Absolutely.

You either don't remember, or don't know what you're talking about (my vote). I purchased 2 1D3s. I purchased 3 or 4 5ds. Do I know that marketing literature doesn't equal reality? Yes. You apparently do not.




So yo're saying dpreview was lying in their preview article?

You're simply being obnoxious, jamessf99.


Thank you. I've always found you a dullard. Glad we got that out of the way..



Sep 17, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Wahoowa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Interestingly, out of 46 votes so far, only 2 will pre-order.

But I'm not that surprised as 6D probably does not interest most members here. Those who have a 5D2 probably wouldn't sell theirs to buy this, while those who don't own a full frame probably wait or grab a 5D2 or even a 5Dc at a great price.

Even though I kinda hoped that 6D would have a flipped screen, this feature gets my attention.









Sep 17, 2012 at 03:26 PM
RobertLynn
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Honestly, none of us have shot one...can't form an opinion.


Sep 17, 2012 at 03:46 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


RobertLynn wrote:
Honestly, none of us have shot one...can't form an opinion.


Just base it on what you get for your money.



Sep 17, 2012 at 03:53 PM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Yawn.


Sep 17, 2012 at 04:01 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


I like the 6D for reasons stated in Fred's announcement post, but will wait for reviews to come in before I buy, the 5D3 looks yummy, but I'm on a budget, we'll see how it's IQ holds up against the 5D2 or 3...


Sep 17, 2012 at 04:11 PM
jchin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


Looks like the joystick has been moved to the inside of the dial, as per images on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009B0MZ8U/onesimus/



Sep 17, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Ben Horne
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D2 vs 6D: What's your verdict?


I use to shoot sports, and I don't think I've ever used a 1/8000s shutter speed in my life. I rarely used anything beyond 1/2000s. Unless you're trying to shoot a portrait at f/1.2 in full harsh sunlight, I fail to see why people are complaining about the top shutter speed.


Sep 17, 2012 at 04:25 PM
1
       2       3              6       7       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password