Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
  

Archive 2012 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP
  
 
martinezphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


Both the D600 and 6D are clearly NOT aimed at pros. These are both cameras designed to lure enthusiasts shooting on crop sensors cameras to move up to a full frame sensor (hence the use of SD as the storage medium). It also strikes me that these cameras would be perfect family shooting and vacation/travel photography rigs allowing pros to leave their pro gear for paying jobs.

What the emergence of these two cameras makes me wonder is what is the future of the high end crop sensor camera (7D and D300s successors)?

I definitely expect Uncle Bob to be sporting full frame newness come this spring.



Sep 18, 2012 at 04:24 PM
DavidCZ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


SloPhoto wrote:
David, the L settings are really just the base iso with more clipped highlights. If you shoot raw (like I know you do) there is NO reason to ever use them.

D600/D800/D4 = ISO 100+
D700/D3 = ISO 200+


Joe, in a bright sunny day, f 1.4, ISO 200 and 8000 shutter speed could have the photo over-exposed. That's when I use L-0.3 or even L-1.



Sep 18, 2012 at 09:36 PM
SloPhoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


DavidCZ wrote:
Joe, in a bright sunny day, f 1.4, ISO 200 and 8000 shutter speed could have the photo over-exposed. That's when I use L-0.3 or even L-1.



The RAW files are identical with different meta data in them. The same number of bits are blown. If you hit overexposure at iso 200 (and by that I mean clipping), it is time to stop down or throw on an ND filter.

Not having iso 100 is one of my biggest gripes with the d700/D3. I want a camera that has a base iso of 50.



Sep 18, 2012 at 09:38 PM
martinezphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


After looking at the sample images I will definitely be looking to pick up a D600 to be my family/vacation/travel/all around camera AND replace my current Canon video camera. (Although when it comes time to pull the trigger I may be tempted away by the siren song of the D800 we'll see what happens )

Anyone interested in a very gently used Canon Vixia HF S20?



Sep 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM
tobicus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


amonline wrote:
Well, that was also sort of my point, but I agree with the way you laid it out.


Yeah, I should have mentioned I agreed with you. We're on the same page.



Sep 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.


Sep 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
SloPhoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


D. Diggler wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.


My interpretation is that with the 36mp sensor, nikon simply said "sony, we like the aps-c 16mp sensor, make us a FF version"; While the 24mp sensor is sony designing a sensor the way they see fit, and with more flexibility to use newer processes.

The only real reason a modern higher MP camera will do worse is if the extra circuitry on the chip leads to a loss of light. I think we are getting to the point where that is a fairly minimal issue.



Sep 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM
stevez32
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


The loss of the joystick is a real dealbreaker for me ever considering this one, I just am too used to changing focus with that joystick


Sep 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Ziffl3
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


SloPhoto wrote:
My interpretation is that with the 36mp sensor, nikon simply said "sony, we like the aps-c 16mp sensor, make us a FF version"; While the 24mp sensor is sony designing a sensor the way they see fit, and with more flexibility to use newer processes.

The only real reason a modern higher MP camera will do worse is if the extra circuitry on the chip leads to a loss of light. I think we are getting to the point where that is a fairly minimal issue.


not to derail the thread but more of an issue is cross talk signals on the CMOS and a little physics.



Sep 19, 2012 at 02:53 AM
SloPhoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


Ziffl3 wrote:
not to derail the thread but more of an issue is cross talk signals on the CMOS and a little physics.

I should stick to software
My wife would likely slap me for my error (she is EE), haha



Sep 19, 2012 at 07:23 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


stevez32 wrote:
The loss of the joystick is a real dealbreaker for me ever considering this one, I just am too used to changing focus with that joystick


Same here. I believe I can use any camera, but without the joystick it's a no go no matter what the specs are.



Sep 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
anthonyket
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


So anyone shot with one for a wedding yet?


Dec 06, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Sodonn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


To add to the discussion.....BorrowLenses is testing the 6D...apparently they first thought it was under exposing by 2 stops as they were testing against the D600. Upon further testing...seems like the D600 is the one that is over exposing by 2 stops. Testing still ongoing...

http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/



Dec 06, 2012 at 02:27 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


anthonyket wrote:
So anyone shot with one for a wedding yet?


Just read that it beats 5D3 (in head-to-head comparison) at center-point low-light focus lock speed. Woohoo!



Dec 06, 2012 at 10:00 PM
WNStudio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


New canon pricing strategy- give less, charge more. The same as with lenses. Now we have a choice beetwen 6d and 5dmkIII. What a pro would choose- of cource 5dmkIII wchich is 1/3 more expensive that mkII (no longer in lineup).


Dec 06, 2012 at 10:21 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


Just heard from a user that the outer focus points of the 6D are "definately better than 5D2". Woohoo!


Dec 06, 2012 at 11:13 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


Just heard that 6D sensor has been found to be "at least as sharp" as 5D2 sensor. Woohoo!


Dec 07, 2012 at 12:04 AM
DigMeTX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com reported in a quick center point af test that it is about as accurate as the 5DII but not as accurate as the 5DIII.

brad



Dec 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


DigMeTX wrote:
Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com reported in a quick center point af test that it is about as accurate as the 5DII but not as accurate as the 5DIII.


That test was done in brighter light, wasn't it? Didn't he say something along the lines that the results he got may not apply to low light?



Dec 07, 2012 at 03:47 AM
anthonyket
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP


D. Diggler wrote:
That test was done in brighter light, wasn't it? Didn't he say something along the lines that the results he got may not apply to low light?

I take it you now have one?



Dec 07, 2012 at 04:01 AM
1       2       3      
4
       5       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password