Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              20       21       end

Archive 2012 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

surf monkey wrote:
It's pretty obvious that the Canon 6D is an entry-level full frame. Meaning that it's intended to get APS-C users to go full frame, although it's not really a "better" camera than the 7D.
It's not intended as an upgrade for 5D2 users. The 5D3 is the upgrade, which of course costs more, as most upgrades do.

Right, except that this is not that big a step up from a 7d or xxd camera. In fact, in many ways it is a step down. It's only saving grace will be if the sensor is a significant improvement (which I doubt).

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:40 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Hahahaha 6D, EPIC FAIL....what are they smoking over there in Japan? D600 stomps this crippled toycam. Maybe Canon forgot they don't have the best sensors/MP anymore....thus thinking this crippled 6D would sell like the crippled 5DII did.

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:41 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Haha. Poor Canon. I was excited at first until I realized that my 7D is better in almost every way except for the sensor size and built in GPS (which I would love).

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:47 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

artsupreme wrote:
Hahahaha 6D, EPIC FAIL....what are they smoking over there in Japan? D600 stomps this crippled toycam. Maybe Canon forgot they don't have the best sensors/MP anymore....thus thinking this crippled 6D would sell like the crippled 5DII did.

That was my thinking too. Somehow Canon Japan still believe they have the best sensors and can therefore get away by selling crippled cameras (like their DRebel 300D) in the market.

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Clearly the 6D is not geared towards people that frequent FM. What else is there to say about the camera? It simply has become the laughing stock of the gear-heads here.

fotosculptor
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

The Canon 6D seems to fit a niche most of the complaints aren't looking at.

1) You've decided EOS is where you want to put your money for whatever reason.
2) You want a body that will be supported for years to come.
3) You have $5000 to spend in total for body + lenses for the initial setup.
4) You like the look of FF photography, and do not want to go crop.
5) You are a slow subject photographer. Landscape, stills, portraits, and other subjects where you have control of the shot compose 90% of your photos.

That pretty much described me when I was first starting out, except I went lens heavy and got a Canon 40D instead of the Canon 5D because of the sensor cleaning feature. I should have gotten the 5D instead since I've had to learn how to clean sensors anyways by hand. And yes, the first decision I made was the brand. The Canon A75 was my first intro to digital photography of any sort, and I loved that P&S.

Richie S
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Trouble is people like to feel like they are getting value and something new. It's hard to see the value proposition here.

Realistically all you are getting for your $2,100 here is a full frame sensor - which has been available for just slightly more than that for about what, seven years now?

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:
Clearly the 6D is not geared towards people that frequent FM. What else is there to say about the camera? It simply has become the laughing stock of the gear-heads here.

It'll be easy to sell the D600 to non-gearheads. It pretty much has more of everything, except for the built-in WiFi & GPS.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:

Its the same in all forums t.b.h. People laugh at this camera because it looks like a bad joke.

But I guess the 6D would have been "more acceptable", if the D600 didn't exist.

Same way the shortcomings of the 5D3 sensor would have been "more acceptable", if the D800 sensor didn't exist.

Shortly speaking, people are angry and upset that Canon is ignoring the competition.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM
sbv20
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I see this as a good candidate to replace my 5D (original) once the price is closer to 1800. The 5D3 is really out of my budget, and the subject matter that I shoot doesn't require high FPS, world-class AF, and whatever else the 5D3 is offering. I just want a big sensor with some modern features, good high-ISO, etc. This fits the bill better than the other Canon options (5D3 is more than I need, 5D2 is old-tech), and switching to Nikon wouldn't be worth the cost of replacing lenses.

I for one am excited. This is a good option for serious amateurs with finite camera budgets.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Let me add to what I already posted above. Apparently a lot of folks here feel that the 6D is beneath their level of photography and they feel "insulted" that Canon could come up with those camera specs although they have zero interest in getting this camera. They are entitled to their opinion, of course. However, keep in mind that there could be other folks that may think this would increase their level of photography by using a FF camera. If the D600 fits their bill better, then by all means, buy the D600. Yes, on paper, the D600 seems to be a better camera. That's perfectly fine and that doesn't bother me one bit. I don't have any interest in this camera nor in the D600....

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Richie S wrote:
Trouble is people like to feel like they are getting value and something new.

it's as simple as this, really. i'll be the first to admit that there's an emotional factor involved. i've got $7500 tied up in canon equipment and it doesn't make me feel warm an fuzzy when the camera i just bought takes a $750 haircut five months later. and it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy when the system i'm invested in shows no signs of being really innovative.

none of this emotional garbage makes my wonderful camera any less good. but let's face it, we want to feel like we've made a good decision by getting on board with canon. we want to feel like we're getting a good product for the prices we pay, and we want to feel like we're invested in a company that has its sights set on being competitive in the future. canon isn't doing much to scratch that itch lately.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

that said, it's absolutely absurd to be emotionally invested in a box of electronics, so maybe i just need to go outside and take some photos

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Unlike alfarmer, I actually find the menu and controls of the 60D to be my favorite Canon or Nikon camera. I prefer full frame viewfinder, and overall the full frame imaging, but my only improvement would be touch screen (and larger body).

If I have a gripe with the 6D, it is what most postings here seem to find a ergonomic positive -- I like a bigger body with more heft. 1D-series is great for me, as is a 5D-series with grip. As with everyone, the fit and feel are very personal. But for travel, I do like my 60D with grip, so this would fall right in that category, with better IQ. I don't find that a negative.

I'm mostly in Ralph's camp with regard to use. I always use center AF, so if this is as precise and reliable (or more so) than the 5D, 5D2, or 1Ds2, I'll be very happy. I shoot mostly events (or architecture/landscape), so flash sync for indoors with ambient light is rarely over 1/80 for me at f/5.0 (my average is 1/50 @ f/5 @ ISO 1600), so the 1/180 sync is no big deal -- I started with Canon film bodies that had 1/60 or 1/90, so it's all gravy for me!

I almost never approach 1/4000 shutter speed. In recent shooting with Pentax 67II, I did feel hamstrung with 1/1000 as the top speed shooting wide open with f/2.8 lenses in daylight -- it was right at the max, slightly over-exposed. But being negative film, I was able to do okay, although it wasn't fun. Sometimes my M4/3 limit of 1/2000 can be a problem, but not a serious one. So, the "added" EV supplied by 1/4000 seems like a bonus in comparison. I realize this isn't a completely satisfactory spec -- I loved my Nikon D1X with 1/16,000 shutter speed!

For me to be interested, it would all come down to the IQ, and by that, I mean the DR -- is it better than the 5D2? No banding, less color and luminance noise at low ISO.

I like most of the other features, and if it's around 1/2 the price of the 5D3, and if it approaches that IQ, I think it's a bargain.

Regarding all the negativity about Nikon having walloped Canon with its latest models -- it is true that Nikon has some great imaging gear right now, and the best price points. But that is now, not the trend of the last dozen years. I understand Canon owners disappointment -- now they know how it felt to be a Nikon owner all those years! But the wheel turns, and I have no doubt both companies, and Sony, are in it for the long haul.

Another issue with Nikon -- it's fine to have nice gear, but what is their production output like? If the gear isn't readily available, isn't it likely that buyers will take Canon if its specs are even close? And how about all that market dominance and resulting production capacity that Canon has built up over the last dozen years -- those owners are most likely to buy more Canon product if it isn't wildly overshadowed by Nikon.

I just don't see Canon losing on these prospect of the new full frame bodies. I can understand this forum is not the market segment that the 6D is primarily directed to -- that's plain from the comments. But the 5D3 and 1DX are well regarded here, so it seems Canon has simply not fulfilled some wildly inflated expectations from many forum members.

Personally, I am looking for Canon to produce a high MP and improved DR model at a reasonable price. But this 6D isn't really off beam for an improvement over the 5D2 on a cost-effective basis, at least I'd consider it as an interim model provided the DR is better and the AF point is accurate.

Like most people on this forum, I'm hoping Canon will unveil some awesome body(s) in the next year, or two at the most.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

n0b0 wrote:
But see... What I can't figure out is, which market is the 6D's main target?

Not many.

1. Manual focus 5d "classic" users who want more mp or LV.

2. People who want a slightly smaller/lighter FF body.

Otherwise why wouldn't you just get a 5d3 or if your budget wouldn't allow for that then get a new/used 5d2 for less.

I guess that's about it. Canon marketing has some explaining to do.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:

Not for me. The 5D3 is too big and heavy and for my intended use, most of the features mean nothing to me. I fully intend to replace my 5D3 with the 6D. There's nothing wrong with the 5D3, it's just too much of a camera for me. No, I am not kidding.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:
What else is there to say about the camera? It simply has become the laughing stock of the gear-heads here.

thw2 wrote:
The 5D3 is too big and heavy... most of the features mean nothing to me... I fully intend to replace my 5D3 with the 6D.. No, I am not kidding.

Something else to laugh at!

First you spend big dollars on the 5D3, even though it's features means nothing to you. And then you are willing to switch it for the 6D, which surely must be even more meaningless.

Oh well, each to their own.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

The only positive is that GPS might now become the norm in camera bodies. So hopefully the 7D Mark II has GPS built in. That would be nice.

Just give me a 7D with less noise, slightly higher MP, and GPS and I will be happy.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:
Let me add to what I already posted above. Apparently a lot of folks here feel that the 6D is beneath their level of photography and they feel "insulted" that Canon could come up with those camera specs although they have zero interest in getting this camera. They are entitled to their opinion, of course. However, keep in mind that there could be other folks that may think this would increase their level of photography by using a FF camera. If the D600 fits their bill better, then by all means, buy the D600. Yes, on paper, the D600 seems
...Show more

Yeah well... I'm VERY MUCH interested in an affordable FF camera. I would get the D600 if I wasn't already invested in a few Canon lenses that have no Nikon counterpart.

But I don't feel "insulted". I feel envy and rather annoyed because Nikon users who share my interest in affordable FF camera can now get the D600 with better specs at the same price.

Regardless whether you're interested in the 6D or D600, objectively, don't you think that a single axis electronic level feels a bit like an afterthought? Just something to throw in the camera to pad the specs sheet? I'd rather have Canon take it out in exchange of a 100% VF coverage or a pop up flash.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

AGeoJO wrote:

thw2 wrote:
Not for me. The 5D3 is too big and heavy and for my intended use, most of the features mean nothing to me. I fully intend to replace my 5D3 with the 6D. There's nothing wrong with the 5D3, it's just too much of a camera for me. No, I am not kidding.

More power to you! Enjoy photography!

It shows that people's needs vary quite a bit. That a certain camera doesn't fit your bill, whether it is the specs or the price, it doesn't necessarily mean that the camera is doomed to fail. For all we know there are way more people that really look forward to that camera.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.