Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              20       21       end

Archive 2012 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

a bit better NR but same old sensor: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos6d/downloads/05.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:31 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

60ms shutter lag (assuming AF acquired) - not shabby.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:33 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Well, colour me disappointed. It really has only 1 cross type in the center? Why? Why not give it 9 cross type like the current entry level Rebel?

No built-in flash and only 1 axis electronic level? C'mon Canon... That's just frugal.

On the plus side, interchangable focus screen and built-in WiFi.

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 05:40 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:38 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I must confess I'm extremely disappointed. I struggle to find even a single thing in this camera that I like. For me it's the exact opposite of the 5D3, which I love. Yikes.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:39 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

The 6D is another clear example of Canon basically crippling a potentially very good camera by intentionally not including some features and specs that should and could very well be included and most likely are in their competitor's products. (namely the D600).

At best the 6D is a good backup body to my 5D3.

I like wifi and gps, but why isnt it included in the 5D3 also? Interchangeable screens are great but why include the capability in a lower end enthusiast model that attracts the customers that most likely are NEVER going to change a focusing screen and leave that capability out in the more professional oriented 5D3 that attracts users that might do?

And I agree with most. It makes ZERO sense to have three different (or 4) full frame sensors. That just makes no business sense other than MAYBE a somewhat subtle marketing differentiation.

Seriously, someone should be fired for this, its crazy. Nikon is wiping the floor clean with them. The only reason Canon is afloat is due to the HUGE customer base they developed (and have a good bit of $ invested in their lenses) with the 1D2 and the 5D2 (great value when released). Now, I think they are insulting that same customer base...
Canon does have a more complete lens line but their DSLR line o brother. Its a mess IMHO.

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:39 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Well, this camera better retail less than $2000 if it wants to compete with the D600. Otherwise it'll be so easy for any camera salesman to sell the D600 instead of 6D. I know they'll lose a lot of sales from well-off beginners just on the lack of built-in flash alone. Bad move Canon.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:43 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Initial impression = What a crap!
5D2 is now around $1700 only. How much Canon would ask for a 6D?

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:51 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I am not with you completely. A photographer using manual lenses for manual focused shooting imo would prefer the 6D and be very happy about exchangeable screens. Or would purchase 6D as a second body not for backup only.

But in other points I am with you: I do not understand why they cripple the HDR feature in making it jpeg usable only.

One should not forget that this camera is not competing with 5D III, but with the former 4 year old 5D II (That will be stopped as soon this body is available). If the center point AF is working like it did in 5D II I would prefere this body over the 5D III I guess. It would fullfill my needs even better. -3 EV is superb in combination with ISO 25k. GPS and WIFI are real benefits imo, too.

Ralph

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 07:27 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:52 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I think this is pretty ridiculous myself. Not much different to a 5Dc but with 20 megapixels.

But Canon will not care about what you or i think they will care about what the market thinks and this will probably be a huge seller becoming the second body for a lot of 5D3 users and main camera for many non professional users.

We all thought the 5D2 was a sad upgrade when it hit the market yet it was the biggest selling full frame camera for years.

Now i know there is not something to compete with Nikon on the megapixel count i'll start looking more seriously into a switch to the D800.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:54 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

The auto focus is what sort of shocks me. The other stuff oh we'll.

What I'm wondering is even if the other points aren't cross type are they maybe super accurate?
Ev-3 is fantastic too.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:06 AM
DownEaster

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I seems a strange combination of parts they had lying around, except the sensor of course. I have to wonder why Canon refused to add a pop-up flash to anything with a full frame sensor. I would have thought that the 6d would be perfect for that. Occasional fill flash is nice and being able to control off camera flash is a bonus. Since they've kind of super-rebeled this one like the 60D, why not go all the way?

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:30 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Improved 5D2 AF? I'd be disappointed... If I weren't Canonite. This way it's just the usual canon way... 5D3 now seems to be just an exception to the rule. Someone in Japan drank too much sake and checked different boxes in the form. ;-) The guy is now sober again....

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:31 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

RobertLynn wrote:
The auto focus is what sort of shocks me. The other stuff oh we'll.

What I'm wondering is even if the other points aren't cross type are they maybe super accurate?
Ev-3 is fantastic too.

Super-accurate? Only when you super-stop-down... F/5.6 single orientation sensor won't focus a piece of fast glass any better, because it is beyond its specs. You need longer baselines to narrow up the tolerance.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:34 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Harsh words from DP-Review, but I think they are spot on.

Quote: "It's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark."

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:36 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Rickuz wrote:
Harsh words from DP-Review, but I think they are spot on.

Quote: "It's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark."

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

You should really quote the whole statement, you left "It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be." off the end, but you knew that.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:40 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

With such releases I am in love with my 5d3 more and more Sounds like Nikon is making 3 steps up but Canon is 3 down.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:41 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Man, I kept hoping this may not be the case. I will still wait and see how good this new sensor is, but I will be hard pressed to move on from my 60D to a FF 60D.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:03 AM
WesN
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I’m hoping Canon has figured out how to get more DR in the new sensor, minimally just to compete with the better DR of the Sony/Nikon EXMOR sensor.

Wes N.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:09 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am not with you. A photographer using manual lenses for manual focused shooting imo would prefer the 6D and be very happy about exchangeable screens. Or would purchase 6D as a second body not for backup only.

Ralph

I agree with you regarding the usage of MF lenses, this camera comes with interchangable focus screen unlike the 5D. That said, I don't see it being used as a backup body unless the main camera is another 6D. If you look at the strength of the 1DX or 5D3, ie. the AF, their owners would probably opt for a second 5D3.

Marcus Watts wrote:
But Canon will not care about what you or i think they will care about what the market thinks and this will probably be a huge seller becoming the second body for a lot of 5D3 users and main camera for many non professional users.

But see... What I can't figure out is, which market is the 6D's main target?

Pros? Pros most likely need the AF so they'd probably be looking at a 2nd hand or even a new 5D3 for backup.

Advance amateurs? Depending on what they shoot, they'd probably be looking at a 2nd hand 1D4, 1Ds3, 5D3, or even a new 5D3. Again for the AF or higher MP.

Well off beginners? It's gonna be so easy for the salesman to up-sell them the 5D3 or recommend the D600.

Besides, any camera salesman would be called a clueless hack if they don't recommend the D600 first with the higher MP, pop up flash, better AF and faster burst. It'll be easier to sell than the 6D plus they can get more profit by selling the extra WiFi dongle for connectivity. Unless of course the 6D costs substantially lower than the D600.

I'm probably wrong but I think Canon screwed it up this time. The feature set of this camera just doesn't make sense. It lacks modern cross type AF, faster burst rate and 100% VF coverage for the more advance market but at the same time it also lacks beginners friendly features like pop up flash.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

WesN wrote:
I’m hoping Canon has figured out how to get more DR in the new sensor, minimally just to compete with the better DR of the Sony/Nikon EXMOR sensor.

We all do.

But if they did find a way, do you think they'd put that tech into the 6D?

The 5D3 and 1DX crowd would cry rivers of blood.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:16 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.