Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19      
       21       end

Archive 2012 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

bht-kevin wrote:
Another boring camera from Canon. At $1700 I would start to look.

I could pick up any Canon DSLR and not be bored.

How are your new Nikons working out? https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1110510/0

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

In today's economy and the transition away from hiring photographers for some commercial work, certainly price of new equipment is a very strong consideration making the buying decision. I don't blame anyone for squeaking or whining a bit over the perceived value or lack of for new offerings.

I'm liking the idea of the 6D more and more, and would jump on it if it were priced at $1750. It will likely go down tot that range after the spring 2013, so I'll be looking for it then if there is no news on a higher MP/DR full frame around that time.

A lot still depends on user reports and tests.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

bht-kevin wrote:
Another boring camera from Canon. At $1700 I would start to look.

Check Beach and Adorama on eBay in 5-6 months and you could see some being sold at that price.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

IMHO the 6D is for the 7D crowd wanting to go Full frame,its not for the 5Dmk2/3 crowd...

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

digitalbug30d wrote:
IMHO the 6D is for the 7D crowd wanting to go Full frame,its not for the 5Dmk2/3 crowd...

Having selected the top of the line aps-c body it's hard to see them being happy with the specs of the 6.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Having gone 350d-> 7D -> 5d2 there is no way I will go back to the current xxD or 6D ergonomics.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

you need to re-read what I posted

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

digitalbug30d wrote:
you need to re-read what I posted

There is no way a 7D user is going to want the 6d's ergonomics. Even the 5d2 is a bit of a step back.

7D users will go for a 5d3.

60d users and xxxD users are the intended upgraders I think.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

RobDickinson wrote:
There is no way a 7D user is going to want the 6d's ergonomics. Even the 5d2 is a bit of a step back..

I would not prefere a 7D about a 5D II. And after having it in my hands for a first check, I am not sure any more if I would prefere even a 5D II about 6D. If image quality turns out to be comparable to 5D III in fact this smaller and "reduced" 6D body might become my first choice over the 5D III.
I dreamt about 5D III because there was no alternative offered in the market to fullfill my (grown) wishes/needs. Now 6D might be that offer (for me).

Ralph

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

RobDickinson wrote:
There is no way a 7D user is going to want the 6d's ergonomics. Even the 5d2 is a bit of a step back.

I'm a 7D/40D/10D user and I'd have a 6D in a heartbeat. In fact, it's my next body.

They're all different anyway.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

digitalbug30d wrote:

I'd think the 5D3 is for the 7D crowd perhaps, since the 7D is a speed demon and has the best Canon APS-C AF. Then again maybe they just want a cheap non-action, non-reach FF to complement the 7D, who knows.

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:17 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Well I'd love to see a comparison between the 7D and 6D in AI servo mode and see how the new AF stacks up for fast action. If 6D can roundly beat 5D II and hold it's own or even better 7D it might quell a lot of angst over the 11 pt AF and get a lot more interest. Even if you will only dabble in action work, it's nice to know it won't let you down and it also means it will be a good camera even for event photographers, especially in low light.

What I can't understand with Canon, is why they now have produced, 18MP, 20MP,21MP and 22MP FF sensors. Would anyone care to bet that the MP monster everyone's hoping for has a 23MP sensor

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:53 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

1Dxs at 19mp?

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:07 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well I'd love to see a comparison between the 7D and 6D in AI servo mode and see how the new AF stacks up for fast action. If 6D can roundly beat 5D II and hold it's own or even better 7D it might quell a lot of angst over the 11 pt AF and get a lot more interest. Even if you will only dabble in action work, it's nice to know it won't let you down and it also means it will be a good camera even for event photographers, especially in low light.

What I can't understand
...Show more

Pixel -- I think you might be still placing too high of expectations on the 6D with regard to AF. I seriously doubt it will equal, let alone surpass, the 7D. My hope that it slightly surpass the 5D2, especially with the possibly improved center cross and outer AF points. I think of it along the lines of the original 5D, and I would never have considered that body suitable for "action" shooting. Yes, it can grab an occasional shot of action, but not like the 1D3 that was out around that same time. Different horses.

On the other point, I speculate that because the 6D sensor is a tiny bit smaller, that may account for the odd seeming MP numbers. If it is based on the new 5D3 sensor, it could be the reason for its smaller number of pixels around the border, 22 > 20. Just a thought.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:59 AM
riderfan

p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:

I sure hope the
...Show more

I think they'll go for it and and give us 24 MP but then I'm an optimist! Actually I don't care as for my needs any of the current pixel densities are good.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:02 AM
artd
• • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
What I can't understand with Canon, is why they now have produced, 18MP, 20MP,21MP and 22MP FF sensors. Would anyone care to bet that the MP monster everyone's hoping for has a 23MP sensor

Best thing I've read so far today!

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

From the way some of you guys talk I might as well chuck my little T2i as it's not even worthy to use

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:06 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:

What I can't understand
...Show more

Oddly, I actually find that the 5D2 beats the 7D for certain things in AI Servo, especially for soccer at times where the 7D seems to struggle unless it is the ideal type of lighting for it (partly I feel also that single point for soccer is a bit small on the 7D and yet without true mini-helpers, turning on assists then seems to be too large). There are other things that the 7D does seem to do a lot better during AI Servo than the 5D2 though.

I think Canon was actually in a tricky spot with the 6D having not gone dual digic and 30MP at 6fps for the 5D3 or gotten exmor-like or at least D4-like DR out of the 5D3. If they go higher than 4.5fps and go 6fps well then you match the 5D3. etc.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

J.D. wrote:
I'm a 7D/40D/10D user and I'd have a 6D in a heartbeat. In fact, it's my next body.

They're all different anyway.

I'm a 40D/7D user and my best advice for you is: "Try before you buy". The ergonomics of the 6D is almost identical to the 60D which is - IMHO of course - simply horrendous. Not long ago I spent a few hours shooting with the 60D. It was not a pleasant experience.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

boingyman wrote:
From the way some of you guys talk I might as well chuck my little T2i as it's not even worthy to use

That's still what I shoot with. (well, t3i, same sensor)
http://500px.com/photo/12314609 (shot with it)

Part of me wonders if all the money and effort is really "worth it" image quality wise when we're talking full frame. I mean, they're all close enough in quality that pictures that standout will only do so because of the quality of the composition... not so much the sensor.

I browse around 500px and I'll see a shot that blows me away. I look to see what it was done with. Canon 40D the shot says. Older sensor than mine by now.

Sure, if you have the money to throw around and are a gearhead... go for it, but I wouldn't sweat it otherwise. Your t2i isn't limiting your artistic output, or your ability to produce much better photos artistically than anybody with X full frame. They're all close enough now that you would be wiser spending money in effort to "get the shot."

With bodies > 500 dollars (rough estimate) I'd say that effort and talent win out every time in today's world of photography.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:23 PM
       21       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

21       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.