Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

chrisdee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Just when you thought it was over with the delays and price increases:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20120917_06.html (removed by source)
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/japan-firms-stop-china-operations-after-protests-1.144756#

"The 3 affected factories are a laser printer factory in Zhongshan, Guangdong Province, a digital camera plant in Zhuhai, also in Guangdong, and a copier plant in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province."

Some images and video of Chinese workers going on strike inside Canon and Panasonic factories:
http://micgadget.com/29955/canon-and-panasonic-workers-go-on-strike-inside-chinese-factory-video/

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

There seems to be an awful lot of unrest worldwide. Most of it directed at the US but the Chinese have a long standing disagreement with Japan over a few uninhabited islands. Seems very strange that this would foment such protest but hey, who am I to understand the intricacies of international politics?

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:06 AM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Sarsfield wrote:
Most of it directed at the US but the Chinese have a long standing disagreement with Japan over a few uninhabited islands. Seems very strange that this would foment such protest but hey, who am I to understand the intricacies of international politics?

The real issue for the Chinese isn't the islands, it's that many Chinese still have issue with the acts (I would use a stronger term here but I don't want to offend) of the Japanese during WWII. The island issue only served to bring back to the surface the underlying 70 years of resentment the Chinese have towards the Japanese.

Which Canon cameras are made in China? I was under the impression most are made in Japan. I'm fairly certain most DSLRs, along with their lenses, are made in Japan.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:15 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

It's mostly their P&S cameras which are made in China, however there are lots of DSLR/lens parts which are made there (like plastic, rubber and metal components). Also they were at various points in the process of moving some lower cost DSLR/lens production to China.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:25 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Goes back to December 13th 1937. Anybody who has business dealings with the Japanese and Chinese are well aware of the sensitivities.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:57 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Sarsfield wrote:
There seems to be an awful lot of unrest worldwide. Most of it directed at the US but the Chinese have a long standing disagreement with Japan over a few uninhabited islands. Seems very strange that this would foment such protest but hey, who am I to understand the intricacies of international politics?

It's not the island(s) but the exclusive economic zone that international law dictates that they're after.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone

As far as unrest, angry people are angry. Only the reason changes. Today it might be Japan, tommorow it might be their own bosses, and next week it might be their own government. There isn't notably more of it, we're just better at reporting it than we used to be.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM
larhouser
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Yeah, the unrest has nothing to do with the actual rocks sticking out of the waters. Fisheries are being depleted so China is looking to capture this bit of the ocean and the oil fields that lay to the north west.

Good for the Chinese government though, keep the people mad at the outsiders and they'll spend less time thinking about the problems inside the borders.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Access wrote:
It's not the island(s) but the exclusive economic zone that international law dictates that they're after.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone

As far as unrest, angry people are angry. Only the reason changes. Today it might be Japan, tommorow it might be their own bosses, and next week it might be their own government. There isn't notably more of it, we're just better at reporting it than we used to be.

""angry people are angry". Huh? You make it seem like it's a condition, heritable or otherwise.

You're wrong. People will suffer from discontent, dissatisfaction, malaise, etc. as they strive to improve their lives/world/environment, but this has nothing to do with either that, anger at a stupid boss, or the coarse behavior of a corporate entity that screwed you.

The 75-year old "Rape of Nanking" may or may not be a factor in the nationalistic behavior you're seeing (China has a long history or stirring up fervent and crazy behavior in its people), but this territorial dispute means more than just the little islands (and the resources they contain). There are three claimants to the islands now (China, Taiwan, and Japan) and China wants to dominate Asia. (BTW - Japan also has "issues" with Korea because they treated them with similar disdain during the war).

The world gets smaller everyday. Resources get scarcer, and the stakes go up. This is not a "one off" thing. We now have more visibility with wider news coverage and the net, but it absolutely is increasing everywhere and is a harbinger of things to come (nutjobs in the mid east aside, where it has always been similar in act, if not scale, but Iran with a nuke will change that too).

P.S.-

I'm not a history expert so I can't vouch for the validity of this report (it's disturbing). Most of the people alive then are now gone, so I don't know how much importance it has today.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/nanking.htm

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 01:34 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

And wasn't China's ambassador to Japan (might have that backwards) killed the other day?

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

jamesf99 wrote:
""angry people are angry". Huh? You make it seem like it's a condition, heritable or otherwise.

For many, it's more like a drug. Some people need anger, they can't live without it or feel fulfilled without it. They spend their lives seeking out things to be angry about, being angry at things, and then moving on to the next when it gets old. Some learn to focus their anger into something positive, but most just get tied up in things like that. It becomes circular in the end; constantly being angry they can't accomplish much in life, and becoming angry at this in itself.

What do you do when you're angry? Most of the successful people in the world have learned to channel it into something else, or some of who learn to eliminate it or block it out altogether.

I don't embrace things like nationalism or ethnic-ism, being from a mixed family it's hard to see things that way. People are just people. When I was a young kid, some of the older relatives still thought that way, but they were still in the minority.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Sarsfield wrote:

Not just a few uninhabited islands. These islands are close to strategically important shipping lanes, offer rich fishing grounds and are thought to contain oil deposits. The row is also of interests to US for the commercial potential of missile deals and future oil exploration. Sounds familiar?

http://rt.com/news/china-japan-war-panetta-290/

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:01 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Heh. Not everything is about the US you know. I think our gov is being honest when they are saying we are staying the hell out of this one. It really has nothing to do with us at all. We are allies with Japan. We are allies with Taiwan (ROC). We are sort of allies and huge trading parter with mainland China.

Hopefully China and Japan can work this out. Japan has some skeletons in the closet that they haven't fully dealt with imho (rape of nanking is the commonly mentioned one). China has more than a few (ie, all of Mao's reign anyone?). Both countries seem to have a culture that really values pride and honor, making it more difficult for people to back down. Hopefully their governments have the balls enough to work this out peacefully, instead of feeling the need to show off their "national strength".

I feel for the people who just want to go to work at those factories, collect their paychecks, and support their families. They are the ones getting screwed while the countries have their d*** waving contests.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:26 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

jamesf99 wrote:
P.S.-

I'm not a history expert so I can't vouch for the validity of this report (it's disturbing). Most of the people alive then are now gone, so I don't know how much importance it has today.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/nanking.htm

The link is consistent with historical reports and books written on the topic. The intent of the Japanese army was to send a message of terror to the rest of China.

The photo with the baby (probaby 8-10 months old) is chilling. He may have been alive today since he/she would have been the same age as my father.

It is 75 years ago but the information is still disturbing. War is hell.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

If Japan made a really sincere deep apology to China, it would go a long way to soothing the rage. They deserve a sincere meaningful apology.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:15 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Monito wrote:
If Japan made a really sincere deep apology to China, it would go a long way to soothing the rage. They deserve a sincere meaningful apology.

Yes, I believe it would. Unfortunately, factual accounts of WW2 in Japanese history classes has been reduced to "Japan enter and exited China" or something along that line since the 80's. People who have better information can correct me.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:23 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

woos wrote:
Heh. Not everything is about the US you know. I think our gov is being honest when they are saying we are staying the hell out of this one. It really has nothing to do with us at all. We are allies with Japan. We are allies with Taiwan (ROC). We are sort of allies and huge trading parter with mainland China.

Hopefully China and Japan can work this out. Japan has some skeletons in the closet that they haven't fully dealt with imho (rape of nanking is the commonly mentioned one). China has more than a few (ie, all of
...Show more

That's not the case, the U.S. is very much in fact involved in this. If China goes to war over the islands the U.S. will be engaged in the resolution. The U.S. doesn't have a huge military footprint in Japan for nothing. There are historical and geopolitical reasons. If Japan's territory is attached the U.S. will respond, make no mistake. And the islands do belong to Japan under treaty according to international law. There is no disputing it. China was a signatory to the treaty that gave up all claims to the islands. But I agree, I hope to see sanity prevail.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

EltonTeng wrote:
Yes, I believe it would. Unfortunately, factual accounts of WW2 in Japanese history classes has been reduced to "Japan enter and exited China" or something along that line since the 80's. People who have better information can correct me.

Ditto - the apology is long overdue.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Monito wrote:

The problem is many people living in Japan (even today) do not know the full extent of what happened then, many still believe the propaganda of the Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere and all that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere

I remember in College my roommate was an exchange student from Japan. He asked why no one ever told him the history he was taught (in Japan) was wrong, for instance the "War of American Aggression in the Pacific" which began when the Japanese asked, and were granted permission to fly over and land at Pearl Harbor for a sightseeing tour. But instead, the Americans betrayed the Japanese, and their anti-aircraft guns opened fire at the unsuspecting squadron. The japanese pilots were in a pinch, they were expecting to land at Pearl Harbor and wouldn't have enough fuel to make it back to their carrier. The commander figured that if they quickly dropped all their ordinance and turned around, they might have enough fuel to make it back, so he ordered his men to do this. Thanks to his timely decision, all but a handful were able to make it back to the carrier. After this, the American surprise attack forced them to declare war on US, even though that's not what the generals or the people wanted.

In Russia, they teach a version of history where Japan surrendered to the US not because of the atomic bombs, but because Russia declared war on them a short while before.

Just like most people living in China today don't know about the Tienanmen square massacre.

It's hard to get an apology when most people don't even realize the extent of the atrocities against China... the reason the US and Japan get along well today isn't because of the war but what happened in the decades following the war. People in China know far more of this (true) history than the people in Japan.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Governments (China, Japan, Russia, US) make decisions to warp education in schools for short term goals and then it becomes entrenched and it comes back to bite them.

China needs to be very careful about the riots. They are a valve releasing some frustrations people have against Beijing and the Communist Party and wealth disparity, but they are also teaching activists how to organize. It can turn inward onto the CP at any time.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:24 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon suspends operations in China due to unrest

Access wrote:
In Russia, they teach a version of history where Japan surrendered to the US not because of the atomic bombs, but because Russia declared war on them a short while before.

Not surprising. However...

Access wrote:
I remember in College my roommate was an exchange student from Japan. He asked why no one ever told him the history he was taught (in Japan) was wrong, for instance the "War of American Aggression in the Pacific" which began when the Japanese asked, and were granted permission to fly over and land at Pearl Harbor for a sightseeing tour. But instead, the Americans betrayed the Japanese, and their anti-aircraft guns opened fire at the unsuspecting squadron. The japanese pilots were in a pinch, they were expecting to land at Pearl Harbor and wouldn't have enough fuel to make
...Show more

Very surprising. What year was this?

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password