Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Is there such a thing as a "Perfect" camera for Landscape ?? Is one closer than another ?? Why ?? I have used everything from Kodak Instamatic to Canon 1DsIII and lens from 4.5mm to 500mm... What do you believe is the best you ever used ?? Thank you for playing along, Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:24 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

For me the answer is large format, but only in a certain situation. For example, besides image quality, one also has to think about which camera is easy to pack up and take with you. If you have young kids at home, as I do, then ease of use becomes even more critical. There is no way my wife will stand around with two active boys while I am fumbling with LF equipment for 20 min. Even though I don't own a D800e yet, and I have had great success with LF, I had to vote D800e for my current situation. The best camera IMO is the one that you can actually use. When I am retired, the choice may change.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:52 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

galenapass wrote:
For me the answer is large format, but only in a certain situation. For example, besides image quality, one also has to think about which camera is easy to pack up and take with you. If you have young kids at home, as I do, then ease of use becomes even more critical. There is no way my wife will stand around with two active boys while I am fumbling with LF equipment for 20 min. Even though I don't own a D800e yet, and I have had great success with LF, I had to vote D800e for my current
...Show more

I have to admit I am surprised by the early voting... I expect a larger outpouring for large format... Having never used one I am fascinated that somebody would actually carry one of those monsters (wt. wise)... Thanks for the input Mike... and I totally agree with usability... Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

This thread is going to end with massive amounts of trolling

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Define best? How could it not be LF? If final image quality is the goal. Drum scan a 8x10 chrome and you will have some serious data.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Talk about a question that really has no answer. I was trying to get my head around this, and can't. The variables are enormous. Are you saying the "best landscape camera" in the hands of the best landscape photographer in the world? The best for hiking?, or the best where weight is no issue? The best for a new person interested in landscape photography? The worst for that person then might be a large format. How much self study educating oneself in the proper use of a camera? My experience with people as a whole is some are learners, some are slackers... So why get a D800 if you never learn to use it properly?

I don't think you can even say "What's the best overall system", because there are those that say the Canon tilt-shifts are superior to Nikon, so go that route, but then you don't have the D800e.... Or, why do some Canon users buy adapters for the Nikon 14-24mm?

Do you believe Scott Kelby who says "Nowhere does equipment make more of a difference than in photography.." In that case buy the best you can afford...

What answer are you looking for. Again, there is no answer.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

You forgot these:

http://www.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/08/holga2_mini.jpg

http://www.barryroberts.co.uk/media/detox/gallery/commercial/largestcameraresized.jpg

http://cdn3.retronaut.co/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2.jpg

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

killersnowman wrote:
This thread is going to end with massive amounts of trolling

Trolling...
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly Uninating people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it urinates people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling...
So Am I trolling, you trolling or nobody trolling yet... I am genuinely interested in what is considered "the Best"... Thank you for stopping by...

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

I'm a big fan of LF, but as mentioned by galenapass, these cameras are quite limiting. That's one of the things I enjoy about them though. Nearly all the photos on my website were shot on 8x10 or 4x5 film, and the prints are absolutely mind blowing. I wouldn't mind picking up a used 5D2 for those times when LF isn't appropriate though.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Tim Knutson wrote:
Define best? How could it not be LF? If final image quality is the goal. Drum scan a 8x10 chrome and you will have some serious data.

Best... best
adjective, superlative. of good with better as compare.

of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
largest; most: the best part of a day.
adverb, superl. of well with better as compar.
most excellently or suitably; with most advantage or success: an opera role that best suits her voice.
in or to the highest degree; most fully (usually used in combination): best-suited; best-known; best-loved.
This was my opinion, but having never shot LF I really do not know... Is it then that 35mm surpassed LF not in excellence of IQ but in ease of application...??

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

ckcarr wrote:
Talk about a question that really has no answer. I was trying to get my head around this, and can't. The variables are enormous. Are you saying the "best landscape camera" in the hands of the best landscape photographer in the world? The best for hiking?, or the best where weight is no issue? The best for a new person interested in landscape photography? The worst for that person then might be a large format. How much self study educating oneself in the proper use of a camera? My experience with people as a whole is some are learners, some
...Show more

Your answer is totally rational and acceptable... What I define as "Best" is weighted toward "My" preferences... Then is there no "Best" ?? Only what we perceive as "Best"?? Thank you

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Scott Kroeker wrote:
You forgot these:

http://www.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/08/holga2_mini.jpg

http://www.barryroberts.co.uk/media/detox/gallery/commercial/largestcameraresized.jpg

http://cdn3.retronaut.co/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2.jpg

Scott; I did not forget them, I knew I couldn't lift them... Thank you

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Ben Horne wrote:
I'm a big fan of LF, but as mentioned by galenapass, these cameras are quite limiting. That's one of the things I enjoy about them though. Nearly all the photos on my website were shot on 8x10 or 4x5 film, and the prints are absolutely mind blowing. I wouldn't mind picking up a used 5D2 for those times when LF isn't appropriate though.

Ben; I was hoping you would join in as your website is what sparked this question... Your images are amazing... I understand the complexities & expense of LF, but question the legitimacy of someone, like myself, desiring to do our "Best" and never having experienced LF... In your experience is the cost of equipment, film, processing , and drum printing worth it to the pro-sumer ?? Thank you, Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Jim,
It looks like you are going through an "identity crisis" , if I may label it so. I know you are a Canon shooter but you heard and read about the sensor technology of the recent Nikon cameras and now you feel like Nikon cameras like the D800/e would make you a better photographer. No, that doesn't come across correctly. Let me rephrase that then, you feel that Nikon cameras will enable you to generate better images. But you somehow feel "guilty" for abandoning Canon since you actually never had any (major) issues with your gear and you are trying to find reasons to justify that move.

Although it is true that the photographer is the most important factor in the equation, but if you feel that one camera brand currently fits your needs better, I would switch without any hesitation. Again, having a new camera gear will motivate you to go out and take more pictures. Just that alone is enough justification, IMHO.

BTW, please note that this is not a condescending post, OK? I hope everything is well with you and your wife. Enjoy photography! Life is too short and don't hesitate to make the move and good luck with whatever system you are shooting with.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

I think the answer lies in the camera that you can transport to the right place at the right time when the lighting and conditions are right. I don't think the camera is as important as most people, I guess. I've seen great landscapes shot with everything from large format to pinhole and compact to full frame DSLR, there is some talent required. It also depends on what your own purpose and goals are, as well. For me, backpacking into places and trying to capture images of places that you can't shoot from a roadside pull out is my goal. To that end, I use a DSLR because of weight considerations. However, if your style is suited to using a car to carry gear, or day hiking, I can say that the results of drum scanned 4x5 is stunning. Most of the guys I know that shoot large format also carry DSLRs and in some cases have pretty much stopped shooting film because of the results of high MP DSLRs. I think it was the English who coined the phrase "Horses for courses"...
Paul

Sep 16, 2012 at 01:02 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

oldrattler wrote:
Ben; I was hoping you would join in as your website is what sparked this question... Your images are amazing... I understand the complexities & expense of LF, but question the legitimacy of someone, like myself, desiring to do our "Best" and never having experienced LF... In your experience is the cost of equipment, film, processing , and drum printing worth it to the pro-sumer ?? Thank you, Jim

Thanks for the very kind words! If it wasn't for the fact that I am trying to market my prints in galleries, I would have a difficult time justifying the expense. 4x5 is very reasonable in price, but 8x10 is quite a bit more. I am planning on ordering a large quantity of Kodak color neg film to hold me over for quite some time, and the expense is quite daunting.

Kodak Portra 160 (one of my favorite films right now) is roughly $150 for a box of 10 sheets. I was planning on ordering enough film to last me for a couple years.... and that amount would be more than the value of a Canon 5DII. This doesn't count developing, and definitely not drum scans.

You can scan the film very well on a flatbed scanner these days, so drum scan's aren't absolutely necessary, but with my target market being art galleries, I really do need to put out the $200 per scan.

I can attribute many of my best shots to the fact that I am working within the constraints of LF, but I do miss many of the great aspects of digital. I hope to add a digital SLR to my collection again at some point. LF is great for some things, but digital SLRs are superior for other types of shots. There isn't a be-all-end-all solution for landscape photography.

I should also mention that my daily video journals have taken much of the sting away from the cost of LF. These videos help tell the story behind each photo. I put my video content out there for free, and there are many very generous people from all over the world who enjoy the content, and contribute to my blog. With the support of these people, as well as the revenue I am able to generate from youtube, most of my film expenses are covered. Their support encourages me to continue my quest, and it gets me through the very strenuous nature of these shooting trips --- knowing that I need to come up with something to show.

I find it a bit ironic that I financially benefit more from these videos, than the images themselves.

I don't like to shoot my LF camera if anyone else is around, so I go on solo shooting trips. I feel that the slowness of my working style would be booooooorrrring for anyone who is not there for the same purpose. It would be difficult to shoot LF if you don't have the time set aside to pursue it without distraction.

If my wife and I are going on a camping trip, I often times don't bring my camera. I'll return at a later date on a shooting trip with a better sense of what I want to capture.

Sep 16, 2012 at 01:37 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

AGeoJO wrote:
Jim,
It looks like you are going through an "identity crisis" , if I may label it so. I know you are a Canon shooter but you heard and read about the sensor technology of the recent Nikon cameras and now you feel like Nikon cameras like the D800/e would make you a better photographer. No, that doesn't come across correctly. Let me rephrase that then, you feel that Nikon cameras will enable you to generate better images. But you somehow feel "guilty" for abandoning Canon since you actually never had any (major) issues with your gear and you are trying
...Show more

Hey Joshua; I take no offense at your post... You have always shown to be a logical, rational individual... You assumptions are in the ballpark... I love my Canon 1DsII, other than no live-view... The 5DIII is a possible, down the road, but I am waiting to see what Canon brings out to rival the D800/800E... My wife has encouraged me to go with the Nikon but affirms she is not switching and I am not selling my gear... Basically I would be a two system shooter... Having viewed Ben Horne's website this morning I was amazed at the LF IQ... The question arouse when I ask my wife if a $3000 - $4000 camera was needed to be happy or if the one you own is good enough?? Similarly, she had suggested I look into digital medium format, and large format... She knows I am not opposed to learning a new system, style if I get pleasure out of it... Hence the question... Is LF the best, probably so... Is it feasible, probably not... Medium format did not receive much recognition so I am assuming it is either too expensive or too cumbersome... I continue to gather information for the time our home sells and I find myself with the money for whatever I want... If I ever figure it out... Thank you for the advice... Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I think the answer lies in the camera that you can transport to the right place at the right time when the lighting and conditions are right. I don't think the camera is as important as most people, I guess. I've seen great landscapes shot with everything from large format to pinhole and compact to full frame DSLR, there is some talent required. It also depends on what your own purpose and goals are, as well. For me, backpacking into places and trying to capture images of places that you can't shoot from a roadside pull out is my goal.
...Show more

Thanks Paul... I have always been fascinated with medium / large format camera systems and have never tried it... Sounds as if it can get expensive very fast... Not to mention difficult to travel with... Most likely the camera in hand is the best suited for landscape, or whatever... The importance seems to lye in being there at the right time, and enjoying yourself... Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:02 PM
rchb

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Both Galenapass and Oldrattler bring back many memories for me and I even went to the convenience of owning my own drum scanner but it just makes me appreciate digital technology all the more. My only negative with digital technology is the depreciating assets associated with maintaining higher resolution capability that compliments landscape photography. A subjective quality was the analog to digital conversion of film grain. But the real attributes of digital vs LF for me was both an optimization of time during critical light that allowed me to attain more compositions and the extreme ISO capability that film has never afforded.
Rick

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

rchb wrote:
Both Galenapass and Oldrattler bring back many memories for me and I even went to the convenience of owning my own drum scanner but it just makes me appreciate digital technology all the more. My only negative with digital technology is the depreciating assets associated with maintaining higher resolution capability that compliments landscape photography. A subjective quality was the analog to digital conversion of film grain. But the real attributes of digital vs LF for me was both an optimization of time during critical light that allowed me to attain more compositions and the extreme ISO capability that film has
...Show more

Thanks Rick... Time is a resource that can never be reclaimed...

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.