Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Here are a few from earlier today (Saturday) that I've gotten through processing. Thousands more to sort through... Any and all C&C are welcome.

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 01:20 AM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:30 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Few more...

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

mitesh 2012

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 01:20 AM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

All great shots, with good composition and an eye for different images and feelings. I'd add a little punch to #2 which feels a bit flat -- seems like you were trying to protect the afterburner's color and tone -- and I'd go to the trouble someday to mask out the sky in #6 and brighten up only the airplanes which are rather dark. But those are small nits to pick... they're all great. #1 and #6 are my favorites.

Have you checked out the "Mustang Air-to-Air" thread on this forum? You might consider reposting a few of these, or others, in that thread. We'd love to have you.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:09 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Thanks for the great feedback, Rodolfo. It is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not very handy with Photoshop, so I have no idea how to even mask out the sky in #6. Time to fire up a Google search...

I have seen the other thread you referred to, but I noticed that it really moves fast. Since this was my first air show attempt, I thought that starting a thread might get me more feedback. However, I'll definitely take your advice and post a couple of these and maybe some other ones in the "Mustang..." thread.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Yes, posting your own separate thread is generally going to get you more feedback. In addition to that, MATA is more of a community where you can get feedback if you want it, but we're not very focused on C&C... more on sharing. But the expertise and knowledge in that group is very, very deep and broad; and if you're looking for people to guide you a little, then that's an excellent place to start.

Masking out a sky is not for the faint of heart. Essentially, what you're doing is digitally following the outline of each aircraft with a pen tool, or some other tool, to "cut" the shape of the aircraft out of the sky. It's not difficult, but it's very, very time-consuming. Then you can keep the aircraft and the sky on separate layers, and adjust each independently. The #6 image just seems cool enough to be worth the effort, because I think you have a real winner there.

For #2, it's a lot easier. If you'd like, I can do a little retouch of it and post it here in the thread to show what I mean... just a little brightness and vibrance/saturation, plus some contrast and some sharpening, and Bob's your uncle. That's a 30-second editing job.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

I have no objections if you're willing to take the time to re-work and post your edited version. It would be very helpful to me and I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Disclaimer: this is a rough, two-minute job in Photoshop. Mask out the airplane, and then tinker with contrast, brightness, levels only on the airplane. Leave the nice sky alone. I'm no Photoshop expert, but this is an idea of what I meant... hopefully I did a decent job without hacking it up too much.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Ok, I can definitely tell the difference. Your edits make the plane "pop" out of the sky much more than in the original I posted. Appreciate the quick tutorial, Rodolfo.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · NAS Oceana 2012 Airshow, Virginia Beach

Anytime. You've got a good eye and those are all good captures.

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:59 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password