Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Hello all... so I'm sure that some of you have seen my posts about the issues I've been having with my Canon 600EX-RT's. I seem to have solved the issues by making a few changes in how I set them up and they've worked successfully at the last 2 weddings (knocks on virtual wood). I thought it might be a good idea to establish a sort of clearing house for the steps of us with these flashes and see if we can nail down any similarities with set up and see if that makes any links with the issues experienced.

I'm currently using (6) 600ex's.

This setup seems to yield the best results.

All flashes have Channel and ID set and I seem to have better luck turning on all masters first and then turning on the slaves.

How does this compare to what you're doing?

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:46 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I am using 4 of them and am yet to encounter any major issues or misfires... Used them outside and inside.

Are people using these in "Group" mode mostly? Last weekend I had a wedding with a giant circus-tent style white tent, so when it got dark I stood on a chair and clamped a 600 up on the middle support post 9 feet up or so, bouncing off the top. Being able to change the output thru the master was SO INSANELY HELPFUL!

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I assigned ID's but not channels. I randomly picked one of the flashes to be the master and the other two were set up as slaves. Once everything worked properly I went ahead and labeled them so I wouldn't mess up the configuration. I turn the master on first only because it's my on cam flash and I sometime use it earlier in the day. It stays on the cam and I set the OCF up when I get to the reception venue. Mind you, I've only used them for one wedding but they worked flawlessly.....knock on wood.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I assigned ID's but channel is on auto.

They always connect no matter how many times I change them to/from master/slave/none and no matter what order I turn them on in. They've been awesome for me.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM
mcarriere987
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Same here. Using 3 + the ST-E3, and I haven't done anything but channel AUTO.

I did notice A TON of misfires when shooting in a room with brick/cement pillars. If I got behind one, or wasn't in view of the slave I would have about a 30-40% success rate.

In wide open to semi wide open spaces I have had no issues.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
StephenAndrew
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I haven't had any issues - using two masters on two bodies, and two slaves assigned to different groups, channel on auto. I haven't used them extensively, but so far they work like a charm.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:55 AM
kirstin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I've just been 'forced' to buy three (I dropped a 430 which bounced very nicely... and one of my 580's keeps turning itself off every couple of minutes...)

Having been (willingly) dumbed down by my Apple operating systems, I am finding these a bit of a bastard to wing...

I will one day, many moons from now, find a couple of hours to read the manual and figure stuff out. Ohh mammy, I wish Apple made flash guns...

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:03 AM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Same as Tony except sometimes I experience that on or two of the units will revert back to channel 1 (I manually assigned the when I first got them). I've probably used them on 20 or so sessions/weddings and love them.

Keith

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:40 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

I have no issues indoors but when shooting outdoors my range seems to be very limited.

I've assigned ID and auto channel and I've scanned a bunch of times.

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:23 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Tony Hoffer wrote:

They always connect no matter how many times I change them to/from master/slave/none and no matter what order I turn them on in. They've been awesome for me.

This echoes my sentiment. I labeled them to I use the same master/slave all the time. The only thing that bugs me is that removing the batteries to charge them resets all of your master/slave settings. I use them exclusively in Gr mode.

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:16 AM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Channel and ID set and no issues, but i need to run external battery packs on them as it gets annoying when one of the slaves run low on power and i miss a few shots at a reception because i need to run over and change the battery.

Sep 22, 2012 at 07:13 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Tony Hoffer wrote:

Tony... Are you and Amy on the same system? I.e. using multiple masters to control the same slaves?

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Yup.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:46 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Yup.

Are you guys using ST-E3's on camera or 600's?

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:27 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

We have and use both.

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:07 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Are any of you all using any third party flashes with your 600ex-rt? I got a 600ex and I love it but I want to add a few more flashes into my workflow. I am debating just getting some third party flashes because they are more affordable. However, since the wireless trigger is now proprietary to the Canon 600ex, I am unsure how I should integrate them into the workflow. I guess I may be stuck just buying more of the Canon flashes... I just didn't feel like dropping $1200 for two.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:28 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Are any of you all using any third party flashes with your 600ex-rt? I got a 600ex and I love it but I want to add a few more flashes into my workflow. I am debating just getting some third party flashes because they are more affordable. However, since the wireless trigger is now proprietary to the Canon 600ex, I am unsure how I should integrate them into the workflow. I guess I may be stuck just buying more of the Canon flashes... I just didn't feel like dropping $1200 for two.

Yes.. I don't think there's anyway to do this, shy of buying some sort of external trigger to fire the remotes... which pretty much makes the 600 on camera pointless and you'd be better off using a cheaper flash there too.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:00 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

RichardLavigne wrote:
Yes.. I don't think there's anyway to do this, shy of buying some sort of external trigger to fire the remotes... which pretty much makes the 600 on camera pointless and you'd be better off using a cheaper flash there too.

Agree. If you are wanting to use something other than multiple 600ex's with the built in transmitters, you are better off just picking other flashes altogether and not using even one 600ex. They may be better flashes than the 580ex's were, but the difference is negligible. Their awesomeness is all in their wireless system.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:35 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

Wow, here's to hoping Nikon comes up with a clean solution when their RT equivalents finally come out. I am disappointed Canon didn't nail this one from the get-go.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 600EX-RT use-ability

eNoBlog wrote:
Wow, here's to hoping Nikon comes up with a clean solution when their RT equivalents finally come out. I am disappointed Canon didn't nail this one from the get-go.

Other than the OP's issues, I don't think many others are having problems. In my book, Canon DID nail it from the get-go. I have not had a single complaint, and I love them so much that we bought a few more recently.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.