New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Couple of questions about D800/E

kevdav
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple of questions about D800/E

I recently sold my canon gear to switch to Nikon D800E (or perhaps the D600)
I am switching not because of the mega pixels but because of:
1) the dynamic range
2) less noise in lower ISO (5D2 really bothered me in this respect)
3) great shadow recovery.

My questions are:
1) Is D800/E tough to handhold as some people say
2) Is the live view really that bad in real life situations

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple of questions about D800/E

1) - Tough to handhold from a weight/ergonomics perspective or to get shots that are perfectly sharp/infocus?
2) - The Live view is perfectly fine in almost every situation except when shooting at twilight or extreme dark situations.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:15 PM
kevdav
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple of questions about D800/E

vchowdhary thanks for the reply,

1) - Tough to handhold from a weight/ergonomics perspective or to get shots that are perfectly sharp/infocus?

I've read that D800/e is harder to handhold and get sharp images due to high megapixal count.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple of questions about D800/E

kevdav wrote:
vchowdhary thanks for the reply,

I've read that D800/e is harder to handhold and get sharp images due to high megapixal count.

All flaws are magnified, so yes, the D800 does demand more disciplined technique and/or faster shutter speeds to make the most out of all the pixels.
If you aren't as concerned about the megapixels and will be sizing down anyways, it's a non issue.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:45 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple of questions about D800/E

I use both a D800e and 5D3. The D800e is my first Nikon DSLR. I've been shooting with Canon for 15 years.

I find hand holding the D800E for a long time to be somewhat cramped & uncomfortable. Right now I'm not using a battery grip but may break down and buy one. I use a grip on the 5D3 but wanted to try and keep things small and simple with the D800E. That may change If you mean "Is it tough to hand hold and make sharp images?", no, not in my experience.

Regarding live view, coming from Canon, the Nikon implementation of live view leaves a lot to be desired but it's workable - you just need to get used to it.

I can't speak for the quality of the sensor in the D600 vs the D800e (I seem to recall that the D600 is rumored to be a Nikon sensor, not a Sony sensor like the D800 so who knows how it'll stack up) but the sensor in the D800 simply blows Canon sensors out of the water for all the reasons you mention.

Good luck!

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Compared to the canon's the live view is:

1. Way slower to activate! Takes like 5 seconds sometimes for live view to come on.
2. Once you zoom in to a pixel level the lag on the image is horrible. It makes checking focus a pain in the butt.
3. Harder to check focus as the interpolation has issues with displaying pixel level image onto the monitor.

Overall, the live view has a long way to go to reach canon levels imo. Does that mean it isn't usable. No, but it does make it more difficult especially if you are used to doing things like you do on the canons.

The dynamic range is amazing! I'll sacrifice a LOT to get such amazing dynamic range.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:49 PM
neuf_owner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Not to hijack this thread but I am also a Canon user (7D) considering a move to the D800e.

I have similar questions to the OP. Is it possible to use an external monitor via the HDMI port to resolve the live view issue? I have also heard the endless "must use good technique" comments on the D800, but you almost never hear that on the 7D even though the 7D actually has smaller pixels. Is there something specific about the D800/e that makes them more difficult to physically hold when compared to say a 7D or a 5D3?

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Couple of questions about D800/E

I went through the whole day shooting with D800E and it was comfortable (again, D3s is better to hold), good results with 24-70 and 70-200 VR II, just need to be more carefull with shutter (like gun shooting )

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Good shooting techniques are important, but, I don't find it difficult to get tack sharp images. I rarely shoot with a tripod.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:35 AM
kevdav
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Thanks everyone for your comments,

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Robin Casady
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Hardcore wrote:
Compared to the canon's the live view is:

1. Way slower to activate! Takes like 5 seconds sometimes for live view to come on.

D800E Live View comes up instantly for me. I tried timing it, but it was too quick to get an accurate time.

2. Once you zoom in to a pixel level the lag on the image is horrible. It makes checking focus a pain in the butt.

I don't see this lag.

I have the Multi Selector center button set to zoom to medium magnification. This is a usable level. Full magnification is greater than 100% and noise overwhelms the image.

3. Harder to check focus as the interpolation has issues with displaying pixel level image onto the monitor.

Interpolation causes problems with geometric subjects. With natural shapes it is not as much of a problem, but the noise level is horrible.

Overall, the live view has a long way to go to reach canon levels imo. Does that mean it isn't usable. No, but it does make it more difficult especially if you are used to doing things like you do on the canons.

Yes, Live View is very disappointing on the D800E. For me, the worst problem is when shooting flash. LV comes up with the exposure set on the camera. In a studio situation, where ambient light is much darker than what the flash will provide, LV comes up black. You have to decrease shutter speed and/or open aperture to see the image.

The dynamic range is amazing! I'll sacrifice a LOT to get such amazing dynamic range.

Yes, definitely amazing.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM
markhout
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Couple of questions about D800/E

Not to hijack this thread, but can I use the D800 live view (i.e. for still photography) with the HDMI output to a on-camera monitor or electronic viewfinder?

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.