Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pr...

Gregstx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

A lot is made about the sturdy construction of Nikon's pro models. But I think their non-pro models are pretty durable as well.

Let me relate a story about a non-pro Nikon DSLR. I have a friend who has an octocopter and he has a Nikon D5100. On one flight at a local golf course, he had the D5100 on the copter and he had his 18-200 VR II lens on the camera. Somewhere during the flight, it was obvious that there was no longer a communication link to the copter. The copter was at least 40 feet in the air at the time. When he lost communications to the copter, the camera control unit pointed the camera straight down, which put the lens well below the level of the landing gear. We looked on in horror as the copter dove into the ground at a high rate of speed. Fortunately, the lens and the camera broke the fall when the copter hit the cart path. The copter regained some altitude for a few seconds after the load was lightened with the loss of the camera, lens and gimbal assembly. Then it slowly crashed again on a nearby tee box. The lens was still attached to the camera but you could tell it was trashed. You could see all sorts of bits and pieces inside, including aperture blades that weren't in anything resembling the correct orientation. The D5100 had some serious dings and gouges in the body. The owner was so upset that he didn't even want to look at the expensive pile of pieces. I took the D5100 back to my car and fitted one of my lenses to it to test it out. To my amazement, it worked perfectly and it continues to produce amazing photos to this day. It doesn't look that pretty but it works just fine.

So tell us horror stories of your Nikon DSLR's that were abused and the outcome.

Sep 15, 2012 at 08:38 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Pics or it didnt happen. lol. Haha no i believe you, stranger things have happened for sure...

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

I can get pics of the octocopter since it hasn't been repaired yet. And I can get pics of the D5100 body. I doubt that the owner took any pics of the interior view of the 18-200 VR II. As a note to all that knock Nikon service. If anyone would have seen that lens, they would have said you could throw it away. However, he sent it in for an estimate and Nikon did repair it for him. They had it a couple of weeks. The charge?? Something like $150 but under $200 for sure. I confess that I haven't seen the lens since it came back so I can't comment on the cosmetic appearance but, according to my friend, it looks fine.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

My D70s has been all over Bougainville island in the glove box of various Toyota landcruisers. Some how I once managed to crack the front of the body on the camera. Didnt stop any functions and it just kept on working.

worst thing I have learnt is that you dont leave your camera in AC in the tropics and then walk outside into the humidity and expect the condensation not to take its toll. I now carry zip lock bags which camera and lens resides in until temperatures match. Despite learning this the hard way, both camera and lens still work.

Tim

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

My buddy has a D7000 and it has been through some tough times and is still kicking strong. My F5 is really indestructible, and I think I am sold on the larger Nikon bodies (had a 1 series Canon for years)

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

any tool is at the mercy of its user.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:41 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Or one subpar solder joint can let go and require dismantling the entire camera to get to. Or you can attach the grip wrong and short out the camera as some are so fond of pointing out.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:33 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

I just had my first destruction of a nikon lense this weekend. A 60mm afd macro fell out of a bag onto asphalt. the protection filter broke and the filter thread lip on the lense was way bent.

This was the chance to throw the lense into thr ground to see how tough the rest was as it was trashed anyways. It broke into two pieces not counting plastic shards.

there was quite a bit of wear on the plastic bushings for the cams on that lense.

Oh well. I have a spare one.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Wow Greg quite the story, bet you're glad he didn't ask to use your camera.

I have been very blessed through the almost 40 years I've been shooting SLR's. The only pro Nikon body I've ever owned was the F3hp, all the rest have been consumer grade. I have not once dropped or damaged a camera or lens, maybe it's my turn now.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

leighton w wrote:
Wow Greg quite the story, bet you're glad he didn't ask to use your camera.

I have been very blessed through the almost 40 years I've been shooting SLR's. The only pro Nikon body I've ever owned was the F3hp, all the rest have been consumer grade. I have not once dropped or damaged a camera or lens, maybe it's my turn now.

There was no way we were going to use my camera. I did try to talk him into using my 28 f2.8 lens instead of his 18-200. It is much lighter and it would not have extended below the landing gear when tilted down. But he wanted the VR capability. I certainly hope it doesn't happen to you or anyone else. It was pretty sickening.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Zebrabot wrote:
I just had my first destruction of a nikon lense this weekend. A 60mm afd macro fell out of a bag onto asphalt. the protection filter broke and the filter thread lip on the lense was way bent.

This was the chance to throw the lense into thr ground to see how tough the rest was as it was trashed anyways. It broke into two pieces not counting plastic shards.

there was quite a bit of wear on the plastic bushings for the cams on that lense.

Stupidest thing i've seen posted on fm...you trash a lens b/c it's filter ring is bent?? Was it still operable before you finished it off?? If so, why not sell the thing??

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

NathanHamler wrote:
Stupidest thing i've seen posted on fm...you trash a lens b/c it's filter ring is bent?? Was it still operable before you finished it off?? If so, why not sell the thing??

Are you really that honest that you'd drop and then sell a trashed lense as if nothing happened, or are you one of those types that says "Oh weird, never noticed that" when selling broken stuff? I'm not, and the damage to the filter mount was pretty bad due to it being one of those "thin" filters. I use filters so no filter threads is not an option.

If you want to buy it, it's for sale, as pictured below, and it "worked when I last used it."

I took a few things apart after the toss into ground to see what was inside, like removing the rubber grip to see how they're really attached. In the japanese camera sort of way, the entire things seems far too complex for what it does. It's like the more parts you can cram in there, the better, even if they're not needed. Canon FD lenses also seem overly complex.

http://users.symmetric.net/crowlead/zebrabot-60macro-a.jpg
http://users.symmetric.net/crowlead/zebrabot-60macro-b.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:25 AM
biggbird
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

He's probably just the sort of person who would fully disclose all damage occurring to whatever he is selling, and sell it at a reduced price as a result. Some people might not find filters as important as you do, and would appreciated a working lens with cosmetic issues for half the price.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:49 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

biggbird wrote:
He's probably just the sort of person who would fully disclose all damage occurring to whatever he is selling, and sell it at a reduced price as a result. Some people might not find filters as important as you do, and would appreciated a working lens with cosmetic issues for half the price.

yeah- "dropped trashed, I can't use it and don't want it, half off"

Nowhere did I say that lense was still working correctly after the initial fall. It didn't feel right after I examined it and the filter mount was damaged. That lense was gone, it can't be unbroken. I'm all for fixing things when it's worth it. This was not, so I had some fun with it.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:54 AM
biggbird
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Then why not just reply to the question of "was it still operable?" with a "no" and save the personal attacks?

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:48 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Zebrabot wrote:

Umm... yeah... nowhere in your original post did you mention anything about the lens being inoperable. The only thing I can read is that your "filter thread lip on the lens was way bent", which is not a hard thing to fix with the right tools. You made no other mentions of any other damages.

Also sounds like the filter broke the fall, the rest of the lens could have been operationally fine.

Unless a Nikon authorized repair center tells me it's toast or will cost me more to repair than to buy a new one, I wouldn't purposefully trash one by smashing/throwing it into the ground!

Also, your tone just sounded arrogant with the "Oh well. I have a spare one.", which is why someone questioned your actions. Sounded like, oh yeah, I dented and scratched the fender on my car... so I totaled it just to see, and just for fun.

And more people than you think buy broken lenses for parts to fix their otherwise broken lenses. I would think a lot of people will have no problems listing/buying broken lenses at reduced prices as long as conditions and all damages are properly disclosed.

I'm sorry, but your post sounded like something a troll would say.

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

that pretty much sums it up nicely

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Chestnut wrote:
Umm... yeah... nowhere in your original post did you mention anything about the lens being inoperable. The only thing I can read is that your "filter thread lip on the lens was way bent", which is not a hard thing to fix with the right tools. You made no other mentions of any other damages.

Also sounds like the filter broke the fall, the rest of the lens could have been operationally fine.

Unless a Nikon authorized repair center tells me it's toast or will cost me more to repair than to buy a new one, I wouldn't purposefully trash one by
...Show more

My photos back up what happened so troll accusations are just plain out stupid.

That lense is important enough to me to warrant having a second one. I snatch them up used if the price is right. Let me guess, anybody with a spare tire for their car is a "snob" too.

I don't do buy and sell here, nor am I in the business of selling broken stuff as parts. Since you have the time, and once the tears clear from your eyes, call up APS and get a quote on impact damaged 60mm AF-d macro. We'll all be expecting your answer. New condition used replacements are about $300, so that repair better be way below that price.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

Zebrabot wrote:
My photos back up what happened so troll accusations are just plain out stupid.

That lense is important enough to me to warrant having a second one. I snatch them up used if the price is right. Let me guess, anybody with a spare tire for their car is a "snob" too.

I don't do buy and sell here, nor am I in the business of selling broken stuff as parts. Since you have the time, and once the tears clear from your eyes, call up APS and get a quote on impact damaged 60mm AF-d macro. We'll all be expecting your
...Show more

Hey Zebrabot,

I'm sorry you fell so... offended and defensive? And I'm sorry you feel compelled to yell at everyone who doesn't instantly agree with you, and feel the need to insult people. Photos or not, I said your statements and replies sounded like trolling behavior. And photos and abilities to take photos are independent of trolling, and being just plain rude. As mentioned above, if you had just clarified your situation as "no, the condition of the lens was inoperable" or "no, the lens seemed to me beyond repair", everyone would've been happy. It was just overly defensive and rather juvenile to lash out at and insult a fellow forum member like you did.

I wasn't questioning your need for a second or spare lens. It's perfectly fine to have seconds and spares of what's important! It's just the tone and the way of how you threw your statement out there. The way it sounded was like "la-dee-da... what's several hundred dollars worth of equipment? I have a spare anyways, and I can afford it. I'll just trash this good piece of gear for the sake of trashing it." All the while with no information about the condition of the lens, and with most of us thinking "did he just trash an either functional, or easily repairable lens for the heck of it?" Afterall, a lot of us here have had great experiences with Nikon's gear being well built and able to withstand a little bit of rough handling or the accidental falls. Remember, the only info you provided was that the filter threads were bent.

Oh, and thanks for your concern, but I wasn't crying, nor were there any tears involved

------------------

Back on topic!

OP, I've had several instances where I've witnessed a D300 with lens fall from 32" high work benches onto solid concrete, function perfectly fine with minimal paint marring. Thankfully, it was the work camera, not mine, and a coworker caught the camera strap while running out.

And I've had several instances where my lens hoods saved my lenses from potential severe damage while working... Lens hoods are much cheaper to replace than the lens! One of the reasons why I ALWAYS use lens hoods, even in dark indoor situations.

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How fragile/sturdy are Nikon consumer, pro-sumer & pro DSLR's?

I have no problem admitting when I screw up, and I like to have the most fun out of any situtation. I broke a lense, so I had a chance to throw one back into the ground. It was fun too in a demolition derby sort of way. I shared what was inside one of those things with everybody else.

If I came in here sobbing about my horrible loss, nobody would be calling troll or talking about what they would have done instead.

I've never had a lense break like this one before, so I was a bit surprised. Even my fisheye survived a fall out of a car into the street. I was able to bend the "petal" back into place and it's ok.

If anybody is concerned about somebody rich and obnoxiousness, talk to the guy who bought a D4 by accident, can't handle it has to ask people on a forum what to do about it

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password