Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Hello.

Having tried both the Mk 1 and Mk 2 versions of this lens (and the 17mm), I actually preferred the smaller & lighter Mk 1. IMHO it's just as sharp as the Mk2 too, plus as a bonus it costs significantly less.

For those who upgraded or just opted for the newer version, what motivated you to bypass the Mk 1?

Thx,
ALF

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I upgraded from my 24mm TS-E Mk 1 to the newer Mk 2 version to get improved sharpeness, and also to get the better adjustment features including being able to set the tilt direction to any rotation in relation to shift. The old Mk 1 had sharpness issues in the corners, especially when shifted. The Mk1 of course had a fixed relationship between tilt direction and shift direction. The new Mk 2 has a bigger image circle, and has very good sharpness in the corners out to near maximum shift. The new Mk 2 lens also seems to have less flare, likely from better coatings on the elements. I no longer have my Mk 1, and really enjoy the 24mm TS-E Mk 2, as well as the 17mm TS-E.

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

The mkII is better in everything. It's a lot sharper than the mkI version. Have less CA. The tilt feature rotates independently of and in relation to the shift movement. It's a great feature that the mkI can't do. (or you have to send it to Canon so they do it)

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The mkII is better in everything. It's a lot sharper than the mkI version. Have less CA. The tilt feature rotates independently of and in relation to the shift movement.

If you purchase a good screwdriver the MK 1 is easy to convert. The MK II is better.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Psychic1 wrote:
If you purchase a good screwdriver the MK 1 is easy to convert. The MK II is better.
http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/37/705637/1/126426598.8KcKNN1Q.tse90open2

Yes I know it can be done. But it's a lot more safe and easy with the new where it takes about 2 seconds. There is always a certain risk doing it with the mkI if you never have done it before.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

alfarmer wrote:
Hello.

Having tried both the Mk 1 and Mk 2 versions of this lens (and the 17mm), I actually preferred the smaller & lighter Mk 1. IMHO it's just as sharp as the Mk2 too, plus as a bonus it costs significantly less.

For those who upgraded or just opted for the newer version, what motivated you to bypass the Mk 1?

Thx,
ALF

Hi, I got the newer version but actually kept the older version! Like you said its much smaller and lighter. I got the newer version to get better sharpness in the borders and very edges of the frame and it did deliver and also for the rotatable tilt axis in respect to the shift axis. Thats very nice too. But the mk1 version is no slouch and its certainly a very good buy for the price.

I am using the mk2 quite a bit so the mk1 is there just for backup I guess. I might sell it though. It has served me extremely well.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I switched to the new version. But the original cleans up pretty well in LR3 and LR4. Mostly CA fringing gets corrected.

The first model is still a viable choice, just not quite as sharp or well designed as the second version. And it has a nice price!

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:53 PM
marcus riley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I have the v1 and the 17tse. I've considered upgrading to a 24tse v2, but I'm a little torn also. My only issues with the lens is that the corners are a little soft, even unshifted/tilted; and the CA, which isn't that bad. I tested and I actually found that my 24L v1 at f11 is better than my 24tse at f11, but of course can't tilt/shift.

But I agree that now with lightroom, the CA is very easy to correct, and the corners aren't that bad unless you were making huge prints. That's why I decided to put my money toward a 17TSE and just keep my 24tse1 for now. I also like the size of the v1.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I have the 24mm f3.5L version II now, but I was surprised at how well the original version performed on the 5D Mark III; I assumed it may have had something to do with the camera's built-in lens correction profiles.

While I do like the new version, I miss the compact size and light weight of the original.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:06 PM
shmoogy

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I got a great deal on the first version of the TS-E thinking that I'd figure if I actually would use/need a TS-E.. and honestly, the first version is surprisingly good.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I'm not seeing any distortion issues with my Mk 1 on a 5D...

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:45 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

The larger image circle of MK II make it the better choice alone.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

"I'm not seeing any distortion issues with my Mk 1 on a 5D... "

You won't on a shot like that, but the first version of the 24 t/s has a good bit of correctable barrel distortion that is impossible to miss, say, on an architectural interior where you have verticals near the left and right edge. The v2 lens is virtually distortion free and much sharper with much higher localized micro contrast than the first version could ever achieve.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:01 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Is the new version distortion free on a 5Dc?

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:50 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Yes. Now, in theory, the distortion is somewhat greater the closer you get to the edge of the image circle, but in practice, I'm just not seeing it all with the new lens. I've shot a lot with it with verticals near the frame edge on a full frame Canon and have yet to find anything that you would even consider correcting. I do a lot of three frame vertical stitches with the camera horizontal - shifting up and down, and it's really remarkable that way. Not so much on a full lateral shift on a horizontal. But this is as close to a perfect lens for my purposes as it gets. Well, for the bargain price that it's selling for anyway. I mean, it's not quite as good as the Digitars but then it's only a third the price too.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:00 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Distortion has never been a problem - 1DsIII

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

I agree that the MkII version is an improvement - I tested it once, but I also continue to use my Mk I version of this lens. The main pro of the MkII is IMO the easy rotation to allow parallel or perpendicular tilt/shift. Version II also has less vignetting when the lens is fully shifted. For my style of photography the Mk I is sufficient so far, some vignetting I can correct in post processing software.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

Mr. Riley: put a 1.4x TC on your 17mm TSE. You will lose a stop but enjoy an, effectively, much larger image circle since the 1.4x TC uses the central part of the lens. Reports are that at F8 or so this combo rivals the 24mm TSE MK I. Can you verify?

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:28 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

It sounds like one of the big features of the II model is ability to turn both tilt and shift knobs at the same time? But it's still two separate knobs, yes? My experience with the lens is limited, but I don't understand the amount of value that brings to shooting with it?

I get that it's a new feature and it's cool you can do it, but the effect of each knob is so radically different I just don't understand the benefit of adjusting both simultaneously?

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 24mm TS-E models

alfarmer wrote:
It sounds like one of the big features of the II model is ability to turn both tilt and shift knobs at the same time? But it's still two separate knobs, yes? My experience with the lens is limited, but I don't understand the amount of value that brings to shooting with it?

I get that it's a new feature and it's cool you can do it, but the effect of each knob is so radically different I just don't understand the benefit of adjusting both simultaneously?

Hi both lenses have separate knobs for tilt and shift but with the v1 you can shift up and down but at the same time only be able to tilt side to side or rotate it and shift side to side and tilt up and down. The mod. posted requiring disassembly is to rotate the tilt axis in respect to the shift axis so you can shift up and down while being able to tilt up and down also.

That is exactly the technique I used in the image below. Shift to move up the horizon to show more of the rocks while keeping the building lines vertical and tilting down for more dof without having to use very small apertures that degrade the image quality due to diffraction.

The v2 allows one to rotate the tilt axis independently from the shift axis so both techniques are possible without requiring lens disassembly.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password