Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              8       9       end

Archive 2012 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

brucemuir
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

coranda wrote:
then this is not indicative of a price drop from Canon but just a one-off ebay promotion that will not translate to a long term price reduction.

exactly

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

coranda wrote:
Of course, if you are right then this is not indicative of a price drop from Canon but just a one-off ebay promotion that will not translate to a long term price reduction.

Except for the fact that because people are aware of these deals they hold off their purchase until the deal comes back, which means low sales at the official price and thus an eventual official price reduction is almost fait accompli.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Most pros I know have to be a lot more conservative with their finances.

+1. The vast majority of camera buyers -- including high-end cameras like the 5D Mark III -- are not professionl photographers (defined as someone whose sole income is derived from photography). In other words, 95% of the users of this forum don't qualify as pros.

I'm willing to bet that most pro photographers who have been using the 5D Mark II as their main camera did not see the need to upgrade. It simply would not make a difference in the profitability of their business.

John

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM
EL_PIC

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

coranda wrote:
The original link in this thread seems to be from Adorama and quotes the 5D III at $2750. However, if you go to the Adorama web site they quote the price as $3,464.

I have to admit that I'm confused so can someone please explain this discrepancy to me.

It is not unheard of that retailers will discount from their regular store front retail pricing.
Look at the packaging details .. it says new but also gives a description of what may be less than normal store front package. It also says in fine print that it could be shipped in a plastic bag in certain cases.
Plastic bag or not ,,, the 5D Mark III at $3500 is overpriced for its features and performance compared to D800.
That will be Canon's Legacy.
They need to drop the price to $2500 and build a better "5D" with more RES, DR, and less low end banding via a new improved sensor.
This time not just a remake with differ MP counts.
The current 5D Mark III is what the 5D Mark II should have been.
The new and improved 5D Mark xx should sell for $3500 new.

Edited on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM
coranda
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

snapsy wrote:
Except for the fact that because people are aware of these deals they hold off their purchase until the deal comes back, which means low sales at the official price and thus an eventual official price reduction is almost fait accompli.

Perhaps, but realistically I think you are clutching at straws. Do you really think the official retail price will drop to this level any time soon? I wonder how many people are still ordering online from Adorama at the $3400+ price point. I also wonder how many discounted sales ebay will subsidise. Canon literally sell millions of cameras and ebay is not going to subsidise those volumes at that level indefinitely.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

snapsy wrote:

Where is this purported policy stated on the ebay site? I've never seen it, never heard of it, and have been on ebay for 13+ years.

As for a "one off" deal, that's a nice little theory. Sadly, it simply isn't the case, as Beach did it not once, not twice, but thrice. And now Adorama is doing it, with a fairly reasonable price of $2,75k (should be $2,699 max IMO) echoing what everyone has said since day one?

And why don't we see other expensive products discounted, something like the D800/E? Surely ebay would want to sell D800s at $2,250 to stir up a little "advertising", right? Just imagine how much commotion that would start; you'd see ebay's doors being blown off as people tried to get that camera at $750 off and it would probably sell a lot more than even this deal.

As for Canon's refusal to drop the price formally, that's their choice. They can continue to sell a few, make high margins on each, and continue losing market share. Nothing wrong with that. Look at all the success Sigma enjoyed with it's ridiculous $6.8k DSLR pricing. that worked well for them, didn't it?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

coranda wrote:
Perhaps, but realistically I think you are clutching at straws. Do you really think the official retail price will drop to this level any time soon? I wonder how many people are still ordering online from Adorama at the $3400+ price point. I also wonder how many discounted sales ebay will subsidise. Canon literally sell millions of cameras and ebay is not going to subsidise those volumes at that level indefinitely.

The official price won't drop to this deal since there's probably $300 of eBay subsidy built into it but the official price will drop. The early adopters are gone and aside from pros making essential purchases this is a discretionary item whose price is set at the margins, which means only a small percentage of bodies need to be sold at this price for it to soon become the de facto price.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

I just saw this on POTN. I just bought it. What a great deal. Yeeee haaaaa!

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

I bought 3 bodies at 3500. Sold one for 3100and took a loss. I am not upset. I have made decent money using the camera. It's the 2nd best body in the canon lineup.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Also I'd like to add that there is no way we were using 5d ii's. Didn't offer specs we needed. 5d iii and 1d bodies do.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

I wonder if they ship to Canada!

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
pompo
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

I just saw that too! the weird thing is that it's stills priced at $3,464.00 on Adorama site ..How can Adorama have such a price difference? And where do they get them at to discount them 700 buccks?

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Wahoowa wrote:
Grab one before it's gone!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-22-3-Megapixels-USA-Warranty-/390468355036?forcev4exp=true

Thanks for the link!

I was predicting that the 5DIII will be sold for $2999 by Christmas ... but I guess I was wrong .

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Damn... If I had waited a few weeks I could have saved $50 over the Beach deal I snagged

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:06 PM
IndioInMrica
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

If I had waited two days I would have saved $150

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Jason Stein

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

jamesf99 wrote:
Where is this purported policy stated on the ebay site? I've never seen it, never heard of it, and have been on ebay for 13+ years.

As for a "one off" deal, that's a nice little theory. Sadly, it simply isn't the case, as Beach did it not once, not twice, but thrice. And now Adorama is doing it, with a fairly reasonable price of $2,75k (should be $2,699 max IMO) echoing what everyone has said since day one?

And why don't we see other expensive products discounted, something like the D800/E? Surely ebay would want to sell D800s at $2,250 to
...Show more

I tried to buy the 5DIII body a few weeks ago for $2800 via Ebay Daily deal at Beach Camera and when I went to pay I got an error to please contact the merchant. A few minutes later the price shot back up to $3500. I contacted Beach and they would not honor the $2800 price and said that Ebay is subsidizing the "lower than cost" price for the 5DIII. I asked how much is their cost and they said just under $3200. Years ago there was a deal with Bing where they offered between 8% and 40% cash back when using the Buy-it-now link on their site. I used it many times to get gear well below dealer cost. Of course the Bing cash back has long been dead. -Jason

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:14 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Yup, ebay picks up the difference and regardless how many times this has been informed .. some people just don't read/understand what it really means .

Jason Stein wrote:
I tried to buy the 5DIII body a few weeks ago for $2800 via Ebay Daily deal at Beach Camera and when I went to pay I got an error to please contact the merchant. A few minutes later the price shot back up to $3500. I contacted Beach and they would not honor the $2800 price and said that Ebay is subsidizing the "lower than cost" price for the 5DIII. I asked how much is their cost and they said just under $3200. Years ago there was a deal with Bing where they offered between 8% and 40%
...Show more

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Steve2000c5

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Adorama was running a similar "savings" special on the Powershot S100 a couple months ago. I picked one up for $299 via their Ebay posting vs their web advertised price of $365. Same exact camera, US warranty/packaging and it arrived in a couple days meaning it was in stock at their warehouse. Not sure why they do it but you can't deny the savings are sweet.

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Jason Stein

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

Ha ha. What it means is I need to watch the Daily Deals and see if the 24-70II miraculously appears so I can save some coin.

kewlcanon wrote:
Yup, ebay picks up the difference and regardless how many times this has been informed .. some people just don't read/understand what it really means .

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Paul Cz

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · $2750 for 5D3 at Adorama on eBay! Why wait for 6D?!

got one, interested how it will compare against my 1d4

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.