Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New Mexico riverbed

weissj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Mexico riverbed

5D3 + ZE21

Photo by josh.weiss, on Flickr

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Mexico riverbed

I like this a lot, but it bothers me that the DOF ends around the trees. Was that on purpose? A ZE21 is certainly capable of getting it all in focus. The two bright patches of dirt on the distant hillside also both a bit.

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Mexico riverbed

Lots of texture to play with ... what part of New Mexico?

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:37 PM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Mexico riverbed

Ben, I see where you're coming from. I'll be honest, the DOF in this picture wasn't a meticulously particular decision. For the most part, I'm still (1) learning the ZE21 in general, and (2) figuring out DOF for various apertures at various distances more broadly. Nevertheless, I like how the slow fade away of DOF here really emphasizes the leaf and riverbed texture as a focal point of the image, with the lighter, water-smooth soil gradually leading the eye up and back.

This was in the Gila Wilderness during our hike back down from the Turkey Creek hot springs. I like what you did to emphasize the texture here. Is that predominantly a high contrast/high structure b&w conversion? I'm still learning b&w as well, and I have a couple other shots from the trip that capture riverbed texture and (in my mind) are ripe for b&w. I'll take a stab at them tonight, perhaps.

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Mexico riverbed

If the dof is intended to be artistic, that is entirely your call. Just providing feedback.

a 21mm ought to be pretty sharp from a couple feet to infinty if focused at around 8 feet and f8.

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:39 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Mexico riverbed

Congrats on the 21, it is my favorite landscape lens by a wide margin. The image has an interesting texture type feel to it.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Mexico riverbed

The textures are fantastic and make the image.
Kent"s (RustyBug) BW conversion works well for me, but so does the original color. I think Kent has also illustrated how you can lose quite a bit of the distant trees and foliage and intensify the focus on the textures more. I would crop maybe half off the top center foliage, leaving some of the stream narrowing in the distance.
Scott

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password