Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

I have a Lowepro at the moment that just fits my camera, one lens, flash and other odds and ends and has served me well for lugging the camera around when just out and about. I will be traveling to Vegas for business soon and would like an inexpensive back pack that will be able to hold a bit more. I have a D7000, 18-200, Sigma 150-500, SB600 and odds and ends as well I would like to get my 16" laptop and other items in there as a single carry on for the plane and way to lug it all around.

This looks interesting but I can't find it in a store to look at and would have to order it. I hate not being about to touch and feel before buying.

http://www.henrys.com/5232-TAMRAC-ADVENTURE-9-PHOTO-COMP-PK-RED-BLK.aspx

It is in the right price rangea and looks as though it might do the job. Does any one have this pack or have other suggestions that might fit the bill?

Thanks every one.

Sep 15, 2012 at 08:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

the nearest thing that would do it is the TT Streetwalker HD. the only part of your kit that possibly does it in is the size of your laptop.

"inexpensive" is relative to many things like the stuff you intend to put in it.

http://i.pbase.com/o4/89/44489/1/114837265.EPMUrDrp.IMG_0881.jpg
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-harddrive-backpack.aspx
http://www.henrys.com/6560-THINK-TANK-STREETWALKER-HARDDRIVE-BACKPK.aspx

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:51 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:37 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

I recently bought a Kata DR-467i which has apparently been replaced with a slightly larger model. This one comfortably fits my 15" (diagonal) Dell multimedia laptop, the newer one will probably fit your 16". This Kata is my first non-Domke bag (I feel like a traitor) and I'm using it for carrying a NEX-7 kit with a number of rangefinder prime lenses. I'm impressed with the quality of the bag.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

That's a lot of gear to carry in a small cheap bag. The Sigma 150-500 and 16" laptop are going to be issues. I don't know what you would do with the Sigma 150-500 in Vegas. You might want to reevaluate what you want and try to be realistic. Do you want small or do you want to carry everything? I own four bags of various sizes. I think my GF had that Tamrac bag. It was nice, but too small for everything you want to carry.

I used to own a TT Streetwalker HD. It is a nice bag and will carry a lot, but I wanted to carry a bit of non-photo gear at times, such as a jacket and food while hiking. I ended up with a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW which has about the same internal camera space as the Streetwalker but also has several large external pockets. What I really like about Lowepro is that the laptop compartment can be used for other things when it isn't needed for the lappy. And I like the straps and weather proofing better. The Trekker 400 AW is a big bag and will swallow up everything you need to carry. I routinely carry a 300mm f/2.8 in mine. I just returned from 3 weeks in the UK with this bag. It carried two bodies, 70-200 f/2.8 and several smaller lenses. My 15-inch Macbook fit with no room to spare.

Coincidentally, I bumped into another photographer on a trail on the Isle of Skye. He was using a f-stop Tilopa BC and we talked a bit. I had tried the Tilopa, didn't like it, and was very happy with the 400 AW. He had tried the 400 AW, didn't like it, and ended up with a Tilopa. So there you go. Different strokes for different folks. We did agree that Canon was better however!

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

my basic issue with LowePro packs is that they waste substantial space with too much padding. they are the equivelent to semi rigid "igloo coolers". the tare weight is an example of the padding and such overkill at a mere 7.2lbs. well at least you get a lot of something for the money i just wish it was more usable space.

i do use a Loka and a Satori and have a few ICU's for varying usage needs. i like modularity and lighter weight overall.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:14 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

As for the 150-500 I'm not planning on staying just in Vegas and want to get out for a day of shooting that isn't all glitz and glamour. I'm sure Vegas is cool and all but I'm not really a fan of cities in general and like wide open spaces better.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

I agree with sjms on LowePro being heavy without any gear in it. There's a lot of bag specs and links in this article I wrote earlier this year on photo backpacks for hiking:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection/

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Mr Joe wrote:
I agree with sjms on LowePro being heavy without any gear in it. There's a lot of bag specs and links in this article I wrote earlier this year on photo backpacks for hiking:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection/

Joe, that's a nice write up. I agree with your criteria. I'd just like to point out that the Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW meets your 11 criteria almost perfectly. Being a tad heavy is, IMHO, a minor trade off for a really nice and functional pack. There is a nice review of it here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Pro-Trekker-400-AW-Camera-Backpack-Review.aspx

Yes the StreetWalker HD is lighter, but I think it fails your 1st, 2nd and 4th criteria.

I should add, lest I sound like a Lowepro fanboy, that the other 3 packs I own are ThinkTanks. I really like their Urban Disguise 60 bag for weddings, studio work and such. I bought a smaller version for use on my motorcycle.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

@leftcoastlefty - Somehow I missed the Trekker 400 -- thanks for the heads up!

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:15 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Thanks again, I will give that a read.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

leftcoastlefty wrote:
Joe, that's a nice write up. I agree with your criteria. I'd just like to point out that the Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW meets your 11 criteria almost perfectly. Being a tad heavy is, IMHO, a minor trade off for a really nice and functional pack. There is a nice review of it here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Pro-Trekker-400-AW-Camera-Backpack-Review.aspx

Yes the StreetWalker HD is lighter, but I think it fails your 1st, 2nd and 4th criteria.

I should add, lest I sound like a Lowepro fanboy, that the other 3 packs I own are ThinkTanks. I really like their Urban Disguise 60 bag for weddings,
...Show more

on the 1st: comfort is relative to the particular user. when i had it the HD was reasonably comfortable. not as much as my Loka or satori though.

2nd: capacity is quite good for its level. again it relative. the 2 bodies in there were a D3 and D700 along with a fair amount of glass. the Loka with the Lrg ICU actually has a wee bit less usable volume in the maim ICU but has space above it for more or a larger ICU. no at 30lbs which can be attained easily the HD really wouldn't be an option for long walks in the woods. thats where the Fstops come in and their modularity excels overall. don't need to carry what you dont need all the time or throw it on and mame yourself.

4th: since the laptop on the trail is more of a hinderence a bladder is easily placed in the laptop slot and reasonable volumes are usable.

the 400 is a bit more then a "tad" (of course it is if a "tad" is 1-2 lbs) and its with you all the time no matter what your going with that day.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Just picked up the Tamrac Evolution 8. Fits my gear perfectly with room to spare for other odds and ends. I can just get my 16" Dell in the lap top sleeve, it would fit my 13 inch Mac really easily and it might be possible to get a 17" in there as they are not much, if at all, deeper as the length of the pocket has lots of room still. Feels really well constructed and there are four ways to get access to the main compartment and three options for the straps. It was on sale at Henry's as well so that was even better.

Thanks for the suggestions every one.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:12 PM
KFG1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Try here http://www.cambags.com/

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:17 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Thanks, as I said I already picked one up. Unfortunately the one I got is not in the list that has been reviewed. After a good long hike with it this morning loaded up with every thing except the laptop I can say that it is really comfortable and was easy to access.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Here is the bag all ready to go.

Tamrac Evolution 8 by Paul Neale Photography, on Flickr

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

Penpro. I have the same bag and just purchased a larger one with luggage wheels to fit more gear for car travel. I'm working currently on a 17" laptop and have never tried fitting it into the bag due to a larger width for the larger extended use battery pack. It's a well constructed bag and worked great for the gear I had at the time. Hope you enjoy it!

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:58 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Camera Back Pack Suggestions?

So far it is working well. It will be a long time before I have lots of equipment to need a larger bag. I can just pack in what I have right now and have some extra space that I could get a couple small primes in as well if need be.

I'm thinking that I might put bootcamp on my MAC and see if it will run my software so that I can take the 13" MAC instead of the 16" Dell with me. The MAC doesn't have the horse power that I need to run 3D apps so I'm not sure that it will really work.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:40 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.