Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

initial warranty expiration notice except for my car no i have never received a notice like that. for extended warranties that were renewable yes i have. Drobocare has always been there available and i just got notice last week from Drobo it i was up for renewal.

my sb700 zoom failed 1 month out of original warranty (funny, i thought my SB900 would go first considering its usage and age) and was $110 to fix. i remembered i purchased it using a particular CC that extended the original warranty by 1 year. the only thing i was responsible for was the shipping. nikon offers extended warranties on its cameras but after dropping $6K on a body they never sent me an initial offer to extend when purchased or notification that my initial warranty was ending.

there are some that may, some that do, and many that don't. i take responsibility in the long run for when i purchased and how long the warranty lasts. and i do watch.

Oct 16, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Hulot wrote:
A system failure of a Drobo is a disaster if the Data is not available on another back up. I didnt fully understand this when I bought it, today I wouldnt buy another

With every system including a Drobo, you need backup. If you didn't understand that, then you didn't read the manual or their website instructions. Because Data Robotic's say that over and over again.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Chris Noyes wrote:
My issue with the Drobo relates to their customer service/technical support and the fact that failure occurred within a month of the standard warranty expiration. I'm further annoyed by the fact that I could have extended the warranty coverage for a fraction of the cost paid for extending the warranty after the initial 12-month period lapsed.

I've had a few durable goods fail shortly after their initial warranty period expired, but I've always been notified I could extend my warranty before the initial one expires.

In any event, I tend to lose trust in products that fail shortly after their
...Show more

Drobo do notice you before the warranty perios expire. (if you have registered it at their support account) I did get 6-7 e-mails about it before mine expired. The first one 2-3 months before it should expire.
And of course it cost more to extend it if doing it to late after the old warranty have expired. Otherwise everyone would wait until it broke and then extend it

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

sjms wrote:
i guess providence is with me. over 6 years using the system with multiple upgrades of discs and 2 changovers in devices and not a loss yet. but as we all know redundancy is key

+1

Not 6 years yet, but I have 3 Drobo's. And have upgraded about 15 discs in those Drobo's since I bought them. No problems...

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Lars Johnsson wrote:
With every system including a Drobo, you need backup. If you didn't understand that, then you didn't read the manual or their website instructions. Because Data Robotic's say that over and over again.

What they didnt tell is why it is so important to have a back up of the Drobo

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

sjms wrote:
initial warranty expiration notice except for my car no i have never received a notice like that. for extended warranties that were renewable yes i have. Drobocare has always been there available and i just got notice last week from Drobo it i was up for renewal.

I have many household appliances, home A/C units, et. al, that all have initial warranties as well as extended warranties. I'm constantly being reminded that my warranties are about to expire and am asked whether I would like to continue them. Likewise, these are available for many brands of cars. I don't always renew a warranty; much will depend on the type of product, how the product is used and how much it costs.

Unfortunately for me, this was NOT offered by Drobo even though I registered my device immediately after putting it into service. Asking a much higher price to re-instate warranty coverage within a month of the original lapsing is slimy, but was better than just trashing the failed product (how many people would just walk away from their data on a failed Drobo?)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Drobo do notice you before the warranty perios expire. (if you have registered it at their support account) I did get 6-7 e-mails about it before mine expired. The first one 2-3 months before it should expire.
And of course it cost more to extend it if doing it to late after the old warranty have expired. Otherwise everyone would wait until it broke and then extend it

Lucky you!

I think you posted that Drobo gives Europeans a standard 2-year warranty . . . here in the US, we only get a 1-year standard warranty. As I indicated earlier, I received no notification about my warranty expiring.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

@ Chris,

If you register your Drobo. And leave your e-mail when doing it. Then you get many notification from Drobo about the warranty expiring.
And it's not fair to expect Data Robotics to keep track on your expiring warranty if you can't do it yourself
Yes in Europe we get the notification before two years is gone. And in the US and many other countries before one year is gone.
From their website: and then they send you many e-mails before the warranty expire.
http://support.drobo.com/app/utils/login_form

If you do not have an account...
You can sign up for an account by filling out a simple form. Customers with support accounts can:
Register a product. Purchase or activate DroboCare
View registered products’ warranty or DroboCare start and end dates
Submit a question to support or check the status of an open question
Subscribe to knowledgebase articles and be notified when the article is updated

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Hulot wrote:
What they didnt tell is why it is so important to have a back up of the Drobo

actually for 4 of those years i just used the drobo w/o any backup. over the 6 years i have had the drobo inform me of 2 iminent HD failures. just did the routine and not a hitch. i did move to a 5 bay unit w/o terror too. drives were within warranty and replaced by the manufacturer.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Chris Noyes wrote:
I have many household appliances, home A/C units, et. al, that all have initial warranties as well as extended warranties. I'm constantly being reminded that my warranties are about to expire and am asked whether I would like to continue them. Likewise, these are available for many brands of cars. I don't always renew a warranty; much will depend on the type of product, how the product is used and how much it costs.

Unfortunately for me, this was NOT offered by Drobo even though I registered my device immediately after putting it into service. Asking a much higher
...Show more

its not luck. its simply being responible to myself. maybe its my background as a tech. i generally don't rely on others to do what i can and should be doing.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Noyes
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Hey guys, have you read my posts? I registered my product and did what you seem to think I didn't.

READ PLEASE.

I GOT NO NOTIFICATION! Several discussions with customer service managers did not change their (Drobo's) position.

The failure I experienced was the power supply, not a drive.

As far as luck goes . . . I don't know what to call it when I happen to live in the US and get a 1-year warranty while our friends on the other side of the pond get a standard 2-year warranty. If I lived in Europe, my failure would have been covered under warranty.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Chris Noyes wrote:
Hey guys, have you read my posts? I registered my product and did what you seem to think I didn't.

READ PLEASE.

I GOT NO NOTIFICATION! Several discussions with customer service managers did not change their (Drobo's) position.

The failure I experienced was the power supply, not a drive.

As far as luck goes . . . I don't know what to call it when I happen to live in the US and get a 1-year warranty while our friends on the other side of the pond get a standard 2-year warranty. If I lived in Europe, my failure would have been
...Show more

You also would pay more for your Drobo. Probably a lot more than you paid for your Drobo and the extra warranty together. And it's not everyone that get a 2 year warranty either. It's the consumer protection law in most EU countries of a minimum 2 year warranty. That's why Drobo and all other companies must have it. You also have to pay a 20-25 % VAT (tax) on all products including the Drobo and warranty extension. I suppose you like that part also.........
I would guess it's cheaper to buy a Drobo in the US and extend the warranty to 5-6 years, than buying one with 2 years warranty in EU countries.The Drobo store in the US charge you $ 649 and $ 849 for the new Drobo 5D and Mini. In Europes Drobo store the charge you $ 1178 and $ 916 for the same product's.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:13 AM
mb_320l
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Any news about 5D. I thought it will be released by the end of September.

Oct 18, 2012 at 01:37 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

mb_320l wrote:
Any news about 5D. I thought it will be released by the end of September.

They are released. And you can buy them according to the Drobo store at Data Robotics

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:50 PM
mb_320l
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks.

Did you get one already, Lars. If so, what's your impression.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

I have the Drobo S

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:20 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

Ordered my 5D on 11/2, and got notification this morning it has shipped (includes FedEx tracking). Should arrive on 11/6. Currently using a Drobo S. The 5D will be setup for a mac via TBolt.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New release of the Drobo Dashboard

as soon as I build my new base PC it too will be attached via TB. i'm in no hurry though. that's my winter project. should take about 3 hours to put together.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:54 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password