Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · Buying advice
  
 
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Buying advice


I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I am the type who needs reassurance before dropping thousands of dollars.

I'm in a position where I want to upgrade my d7000 to full frame. Its not that the 7000 can't do something in particular. It is plenty fast, and its got great ISO control for a DX camera but I never really enjoyed using it. Not like I enjoyed using my D50. I don't like the colors from it, I don't like the feel of it, even adding a grip it still seems slightly too small. And it doesn't have the certain "look" of full frame camera's that is hard to put into words. Just something about the d700 has always entertained me and caught my eye. These things and the fact I want to start using more manual focus glass such as the Rokinon and Samyang line up has finally got me ready to upgrade.

I'm not a professional but I do shoot some weddings per year as backup or low budget weddings as a main (I rent camera's for next to nothing for those days as backups). A few portraits sessions and what not. But my main enjoyment comes from just taking my camera wherever I go and snapping to my hearts content. A lot of scenery and urban stuff.


My question to you is this, in my situation, which would you go for? I could probably snag a d700 with 20k shutter count for $1300 while a new d600 will cost me 1800 + 234 in sales tax for a grand total just over 2g's.

I'm stuck right down the middle. I know the d700 is a proven performer and will deliver. I love the high ISO capability and I love the viewfinder size. I know the d600 will perform about the same as the D700 in terms of ISO but that might require some downsizing to make it fair. But the viewfinder size in the d600 throws me off. the $700 difference is quite tempting as that could be an 80-200 f/2.8 for me as well. Or a couple MF lenses. The smart choice seems to be the d700, but I do crop a fair bit...so 24mp also tempts me along with dual card slots....

Your thoughts??

DISCLAIMER: As the nature of this post is repetitive and annoying to frequent FMers I encourage flaming me and generally bitching about how I should just make up my own mind! Basically the point of this thread is to make sure I'm not overlooking any major features of a certain camera before buying.



Sep 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM
kirbinster
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Buying advice


I think you may be low balling what you can pay for a D700, but if you are lucky maybe. I just sold mine for $1,700. I went for a D800e and love it. Given that background, it sounds like you shoot many similar things to me, and the 24mp of the D600 rather than the 12mp of the D700 may be useful to you. I found while traveling recently I was able to just use my 24-70 lens and crop in when needed rather than take my 70-200 with me as well - those extra mp are very useful.

That said, those extra pixels will put a strain on your storage and computer power. I notice a huge drag processing the 36mp raw files rather than the 12mp files. Also keep in mind that the D600 is similar in controls and size to the D7000 that you say you don't like the feel of. Also I hear it is missing an AF-on button on the back, a big issue for some while not an issue at all for others.

If I were you I think I would just stick with the D7000 and invest in better AF-S glass. Glass retains value while cameras drop quicker. But who am I to talk, I always like to have the newest toys



Sep 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Buying advice


kirbinster wrote:
I think you may be low balling what you can pay for a D700, but if you are lucky maybe. I just sold mine for $1,700. I went for a D800e and love it. Given that background, it sounds like you shoot many similar things to me, and the 24mp of the D600 rather than the 12mp of the D700 may be useful to you. I found while traveling recently I was able to just use my 24-70 lens and crop in when needed rather than take my 70-200 with me as well - those extra mp are very useful.

That
...Show more

No low balling, I know I can get one for between 1300 and 1350 guaranteed. Perks of the job

As for keeping the d7000, I really don't enjoy shooting it and that means I hardly use it. The lack of AF on button is worrisome but not really a deal breaker because the 24mp makes up for it I believe.

Regarding the processing power needed, I believe I'm set as my work station will be a i5-2500k moderately overclocked with 16gb ram and full ssd storage (besides backup).

Ugg... I'm no closer am I?



Sep 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Mishu01
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Buying advice


Ergonomics of D600 is certainly behind the one provided by D700. The IQ of D600 I expect to be definitely superior to D700. In your shoes I'll go for D600 because is the last technology, because of the improved metering system, of the dual cards, of a most probably better dynamic range and so on. IMHO 24MP are a perfect size for today... I wished my D800 to be at this resolution...


Sep 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
ChiShutter
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Buying advice


I shoot with a D700 now, and to me the D600 is a no-brainer second body vs. either another D700 or a D800. Full frame, keeps my lens collection at the same effective focal lengths, and gives me a smaller, lighter, more compact travel body for days when I'm just driving up the coast with my wife and want to take it easy. That coupled with what I presume are more consumer friendly modes (any auto modes on this thing?) to flip it to when OTHERS need to take a picture of ME... and I'm sold.

This will happen.



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
brewercm
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Buying advice


tjpenton wrote:
No low balling, I know I can get one for between 1300 and 1350 guaranteed. Perks of the job

As for keeping the d7000, I really don't enjoy shooting it and that means I hardly use it. The lack of AF on button is worrisome but not really a deal breaker because the 24mp makes up for it I believe.

Regarding the processing power needed, I believe I'm set as my work station will be a i5-2500k moderately overclocked with 16gb ram and full ssd storage (besides backup).

Ugg... I'm no closer am I?


If those were perks of my job I'd be buying up D700's and reselling them. Sounds like an easy way to make a few hundred dollars without doing much work. Then take the profit and buy whatever camera you feel like.



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Buying advice


brewercm wrote:
If those were perks of my job I'd be buying up D700's and reselling them. Sounds like an easy way to make a few hundred dollars without doing much work. Then take the profit and buy whatever camera you feel like.


If I kept stealing profits from the store like that I'm guessing I would be out of a job fairly fast!



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Buying advice


ChiShutter wrote:
I shoot with a D700 now, and to me the D600 is a no-brainer second body vs. either another D700 or a D800. Full frame, keeps my lens collection at the same effective focal lengths, and gives me a smaller, lighter, more compact travel body for days when I'm just driving up the coast with my wife and want to take it easy. That coupled with what I presume are more consumer friendly modes (any auto modes on this thing?) to flip it to when OTHERS need to take a picture of ME... and I'm sold.

This will happen.


but if you had to choose either the d700 or the 600 what would it be hmm



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM
jamach
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Buying advice


I think you can program the ael/afl button to be an af on button

a grip is about $50 or less

or, you can trade your d7000 in at adorama/b&h and be rid of it and get the d600 or new canon 6d. With your low investment in nikon you have great flexibility to make several moves

you can even bypass the dslr and go 4/3, or mirrorless

Joe



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Buying advice


jamach wrote:
I think you can program the ael/afl button to be an af on button

a grip is about $50 or less

or, you can trade your d7000 in at adorama/b&h and be rid of it and get the d600 or new canon 6d. With your low investment in nikon you have great flexibility to make several moves

you can even bypass the dslr and go 4/3, or mirrorless

Joe


I have enough lenses to make it worth my while to stay with nikon, plus with the way Canon has been going lately I believe it won't be worth waiting for the 6D. I'm not a nikon fan boy I am just very unimpressed with the mark 3 and mark 2 and believe the 6 will follow suit with a lackluster spec sheet. The 7d is still a relevant camera even after 3+ years and I love the 1DX.

Also the nikon 14-24 is on my dream list and I won't switch till I've tried it.

Also if the d7000 seems to small in my hand I'm guessing mirrorless and 4/3 will also feel toyish. I want to increase image quality, not decrease



Sep 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



edl415
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Buying advice


OP, I think you need to handle the D600 and decide if the VF and lack of dedicated AF-ON button works FOR YOU. Once you determine which body's ergos work better then it should be an easy decision. Specifications are important but a camera should work in your hands with minimal hassle.

For example, I've been a Thinkpad user for virtually half of my entire life. When I found out Lenovo was switching the keyboard design, I chose to buy an older model even though the newer model was faster and cheaper. Why? Love that keyboard.

As a D700 shooter - in your situation I would also suggest staying with the D7000 and buying more glass. I grew up shooting film and love "full frame" but if I wasn't so invested in lenses and had to do it all over again, I know I would be happy with a D7000 as well. And for similar money, I'd rather have a D7000 + 70-200 VRII than a D600 + 70-300 VR.

Good luck.




Sep 15, 2012 at 01:08 AM
jdanze
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Buying advice


There's a reason a D700 costs a lot more than a D7000. I moved from a more modern DSLR with the same sensor as the D7000 to the more basic, D700 and I wouldn't go back.

The D7000 has more bells/whistles but if you don't use them, what's the point. The quality of the images from the D700 is something else, the camera is a simpler tool and personally I find the megapixels perfect for general needs.

Good luck!



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:20 AM
rangefindr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Buying advice


Dude, same situation. D7k shooter, and going for the FX upgrade likewise. It's hard to explain to most people, but the D7000 just doesn't quite hit home like the FX cameras..

With that being said, disregarding the price difference (only ~$500 comparing new D600 and likenew D800), I'm having a hard time deciding between going for the D800 and the D600. I'd love to have the upgrade in ergonomics on the D800, but the 5.5fps and smaller file sizes seem tempting, not to mention I won't have to break the bank investing in the best glass available...

What do y'all think?

Oh lastly, the D700 is a Nikon in house sensor, whereas the D7000, D800, and D600 are Sony made sensors - I don't really like the D7000 colors, but am in love with the D700 colors: is the D800 similar, even though it's not a Nikon sensor?



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:28 AM
kirbinster
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Buying advice


Don't forget you don't get the 51 point autofocus like the D700 has in the D600.


Sep 15, 2012 at 01:30 AM
DigMeTX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Buying advice


Mishu01 wrote:
Ergonomics of D600 is certainly behind the one provided by D700...


What are you basing that statement on?

brad



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:36 AM
rangefindr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Buying advice


DigMeTX wrote:
What are you basing that statement on?

brad


Physical size and feel in hand, placement of ISO/WB/QUAL controls, af-on button. Plus the D700/D800 are full magnesium (however negligible that may be...)



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:43 AM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Buying advice


rangefindr wrote:
Physical size and feel in hand, placement of ISO/WB/QUAL controls, af-on button. Plus the D700/D800 are full magnesium (however negligible that may be...)


Have you had one in hand? Considering retailers can't get theirs until the 17th



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:46 AM
tjpenton
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Buying advice


rangefindr wrote:
Dude, same situation. D7k shooter, and going for the FX upgrade likewise. It's hard to explain to most people, but the D7000 just doesn't quite hit home like the FX cameras..

With that being said, disregarding the price difference (only ~$500 comparing new D600 and likenew D800), I'm having a hard time deciding between going for the D800 and the D600. I'd love to have the upgrade in ergonomics on the D800, but the 5.5fps and smaller file sizes seem tempting, not to mention I won't have to break the bank investing in the best glass available...

What do y'all think?

Oh
...Show more

It is hard to put into words about the FX feel of things isn't it.... I wish I could explain it better



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:47 AM
DigMeTX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Buying advice


The D600 is very close in size to the D700. It's actually a little thicker than the D700 from front to back. A lot of people seem to think it is the size of the D7000 because it has been touted as a FF D7000 but in reality it is slightly bigger than the D300 and almost as big as a D700. I don't think anyone here knows about feel in hand yet but I can see the difference of the buttons.

brad



Sep 15, 2012 at 01:48 AM
rangefindr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Buying advice


DigMeTX wrote:
The D600 is very close in size to the D700. It's actually a little thicker than the D700 from front to back. A lot of people seem to think it is the size of the D7000 because it has been touted as a FF D7000 but in reality it is slightly bigger than the D300 and almost as big as a D700. I don't think anyone here knows about feel in hand yet but I can see the difference of the buttons.

brad


Now that I look at it, you're absolutely right - should've looked at the dimensions before posting. This just makes me question why they didn't include an af-on button...

Here's a good interactive comparison.



Sep 15, 2012 at 02:00 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password