Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/autofocus-reality-part-4-nikon-full-frame

Summary:

"With the Nikon full-frame cameras we see that the D700 and D3x seem similar to the Canon cameras: phase detection has a standard deviation about twice as large as contrast detection. The newer cameras, the D800 and D4, seem clearly better, very similar to the newer Canon bodies on most lenses."

Sep 14, 2012 at 09:08 PM
LMT1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

So the dodgy AF on the D800 is still "very similar to the newer Canon bodies". I can see the pitchforks coming out over on the Canon Forum Better put your fire jacket on Roger

Cheers
Leigh

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

LMT1972 wrote:
So the dodgy AF on the D800 is still "very similar to the newer Canon bodies". I can see the pitchforks coming out over on the Canon Forum Better put your fire jacket on Roger

Cheers
Leigh

I've tested one lens between the two the 5DM3/D800 and the Nikon was more consistent..however I was using the known-finicky Canon 50mm f/1.4:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42447770

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

LMT1972 wrote:

Cheers
Leigh

I was thinking maybe I'll just leave town, go somewhere where there's no internet

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

Thanks for the test, Roger.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:49 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Thanks for the test, Roger.

Good job, Roger!!

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rioni
• • •
p.1 #7 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

Great work and very helpful. Thanks!

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #8 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

snapsy wrote:
I've tested one lens between the two the 5DM3/D800 and the Nikon was more consistent..however I was using the known-finicky Canon 50mm f/1.4:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42447770

Hm, yeah. The old 50/1.4 uses the really crappy first-generation focus-position-encoder. It's not really a good tool to judge camera shot-shot variation on...
Even the APS kit-lenses Canon makes now uses a lot higher res encoders. Like about three times more accurate focus positioning. :-)

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

I'm really curious to see how Sony's new A99 compares to the D800 for long distance wide aperture focus consistency. I have a hunch.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:02 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

theSuede wrote:
Hm, yeah. The old 50/1.4 uses the really crappy first-generation focus-position-encoder. It's not really a good tool to judge camera shot-shot variation on...
Even the APS kit-lenses Canon makes now uses a lot higher res encoders. Like about three times more accurate focus positioning. :-)

I know, I know, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 is a focusing turd but it's my favorite focal length so I had to do the test. I added a 35L/35G test yesterday:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42501186

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:38 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

Jammy Straub wrote:
I'm really curious to see how Sony's new A99 compares to the D800 for long distance wide aperture focus consistency. I have a hunch.

I've read that Lloyd Chambers complained about the D800's long-distance focusing consistency but my tests so far with the 35G+50G show the D800 to be extremely consistent and accurate for wide apertures+long distances.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · LensRentals Nikon AF test just posted

theSuede wrote:

At least one of us (that would be me) would absolutely kill to get some more information about focus encoders and encoding systems.

I know Nikons are generally magnetic and Canon's optical, but that's the extent of my knowledge (other than a thorough working knowledge of how to ruin them during lens disassembly).

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password