Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

Awasos23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

Well I bought the D3 today. It was not a buffer upgraded model, unfortunately. He thought that had been done during the last servicing. No harm, no foul. I talked him down to $1950 because of the lack of the upgrade, and he's including a 30 day return period in case I find something wrong with the camera. It looks great (probably EX or EX+ from KEH) and seems to be in wonderful working order so far. Thanks for all of the helpful comments.

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:49 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

wow - amazing price for that platform

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

Seems to work great. Got some nice shots this afternoon with the camera. Nice to have my 50mm be a walk around lens again. Here's my favorite from the park today. Jewish Temple was celebrating part of Rosh Hashanah in the local park - they cast away their sins and impurities into the water. Other photos from this afternoon are here http://ericjenks.zenfolio.com/p366010304

http://ericjenks.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v55/p1130494450-4.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:44 PM
acarlay
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

nice pic.. i prefer the color output of the D3/D3s over the D800/D4 cameras..

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

6400 ISO is clean!! Color me impressed. Can't wait for my next sports shoot. 50mm f1.4 wide open @ 1/20th of a second. Probably should have tried 12,800 for kicks and giggles, but 6400 is a big number for me still .

http://ericjenks.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v8/p1131156298-4.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Buying a D3 Monday - still worth it?

You'll find ISO 6400 is not so clean if you need to extract shadow details and could not overexpose the image because highlights are needed too. Still, it's much better than a lot of older cameras could ever manage.

I found that software such as Lightroom 3 was pretty good at making the images look clean because the default black setting hid a lot of noise along with a lot of shadow detail. You'll probably need to reconsider your edit defaults when dealing with the D3 images. Don't assume that what works for the d300 is appropriate for the d3 too.

You might want to consider buying Thom Hogan's D3 guide to help you get the best out of the D3 a little sooner than you might otherwise.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.