New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Panchoskywalke

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

I'm a new owner of a second hand canon 5d mk ii and I realized that the camera is not focusing correctly. I tried the micro adjustment that everyone talk about but the Camera still don't focus properly.

I guess it's time to send it for service.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:55 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

It might help if you described the focusing issue/problem in more detail? It might be some setting that is or is not enabled, are you using single point AF, AI Servo...help us a bit to diagnose your issue, I've a 40 and 50D that share the same AF system...

Jerry

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

I first noticed that the camera was focusing further away from the camera from what the focusing system shows. The lens is obviously fine, it's a canon 35mm f2 and it focus right on my canon 5d mk 1, also I can get a perfect focus with manual focusing.

So I did some research, found a lot of info about it on the web and did a micro adjustment using this system:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4522704&postcount=9

I use single point AF ( in the center) and one shot AF. And the picture taken with -20 is slightly better than the 0 adjustment one and the one with +20 . But still very out of focus.

So I guess that the solution is beyond micro adjustment capabilities.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Panchoskywalke wrote:
I'm a new owner of a second hand canon 5d mk ii and I realized that the camera is not focusing correctly. I tried the micro adjustment that everyone talk about but the Camera still don't focus properly. [...] Has anyone had the same issue?

What issue?

Since this is the entirety of your description of the problem then I strongly suspect User Error. I just got a new 5D Mark II and whatever the camera you get, you have to get to know it, study it, read the manual, and know how to test properly including scientifically, controlling variables, tracking down and eliminating false negatives. Your post gives no indication of any of that.

What goes through people's minds when they compose vague pleas with no details? Have they ever tried to help anyone who posted similarly vague pleas with no details? Do they read their own post and think about what somebody else would need to help them?

Panchoskywalke wrote:
I guess it's time to send it for service.

Who knows, based on your lack of description? Maybe it does and maybe Canon would send it right back saying camera within spec, no problem found, need more details.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Panchoskywalke wrote:
I first noticed that the camera was focusing further away from the camera from what the focusing system shows. The lens is obviously fine, it's a canon 35mm f2 and it focus right on my canon 5d mk 1, also I can get a perfect focus with manual focusing. So I did some research, found a lot of info about it on the web and did a micro adjustment using this system:

Good. Now we are getting somewhere. How many other lenses do you have and does it behave well with them? What is the MFA on them?

If that is not your only lens, then the lens could still be at fault, and camera OK.

Do the lens contacts look clean? Do the camera contacts look clean? Is there any play in the mount of the lens or of the camera?

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Of course there's no play in the lens and of course the contacts are clean. I have another lens a 24-90 zoom and it shows the same soft focusing. Don`t know what's MFA sorry.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Sorry, I'm usually better about explaining acronyms before using them: MFA is Micro Focus Adjust.

OK, if two lenses show the same kind of problem on the camera, then it does sound like the camera may need servicing. Perhaps the person who sold it to you should refund you your money or pay for any repair charges.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Well actually I bought the camera for US$400 because it shows an error 30 and didn't work. Bought a new Mainboard for US$200 on ebay changed it myself and the camera reborn. So he's not going to pay for repair charges. I'm not complaining, it's still a 5d mkii for us$600.

I'll send it for service next week. Thanks for your help.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:57 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Have you considered changing the title of this thread from "Another Canon 5D Mk II FOCUSING ISSUE" to something more truthful, like "I Took My Camera Apart and Now It DOESN"T WORK"?

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

lol.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

If you're sending it to Canon, I'll be surprised if they'll touch it. If they do, it'll be very expensive.

Does LiveView work on it ?

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Monito wrote:
... MFA is Micro Focus Adjust..

I prefer AFMA. After all, that's what it's called in the manual, Autofocus Microadjustment.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

jcolwell wrote:
If you're sending it to Canon, I'll be surprised if they'll touch it. If they do, it'll be very expensive.

Does LiveView work on it ?

I'm not sending it to Canon, you can't send a camera to canon where I live. I have to send it to official canon service, who's just a camera service that made a deal with canon.
Live view works fine.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

jcolwell wrote:
I prefer AFMA. After all, that's what it's called in the manual, Autofocus Microadjustment

Thanks. I'll adopt that. I should have known better than to use the common internet term. I haven't read that part of the manual yet; only had it for two days.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Just cause that lens focus fine on your 5Dc doesnt mean it will on 5DMK2. It doesnt work that way. Issue isnt probably in lens, but in tuning of 5DMK2 AF. If someone took it apart and replaced something it most likely needs to be recalibrated.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:30 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Mescalamba wrote:
Just cause that lens focus fine on your 5Dc doesnt mean it will on 5DMK2. It doesnt work that way. Issue isnt probably in lens, but in tuning of 5DMK2 AF. If someone took it apart and replaced something it most likely needs to be recalibrated.

Yep, I'm charging the battery to update the firmware, as it'll be the last thing to try before sending it for service.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:33 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

I think just about everything needs to be recalibrated after a board replacement. I had one done on my 40D when the main board died, and the shop forgot to calibrate the shutter mechanism. It came back and wasn't exposing properly above 1/2500 shutter speed. It would not surprise me at all if the AF module in yours needs some help from a computer to find its range.

-Brian

Sep 15, 2012 at 08:17 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Does the camera have an original Canon focusing screen? And is the focusing screen sitting properly? I tried using a third party split prism screen and on some lenses both the exposure and focus were off; problem went away as soon as I reinstalled the original Canon screen.

Having said that, If liveview is focusing properly then Brian and Mescalamba above are right in that the AF module will have to be calibrated.

Sep 16, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Just checked, the camera has an original focusing screen. The live view works fine but I can't found how to focus when I'm on liveview, as when I click it just take the shot without focusing. Have to read the manual.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Another topic about canon 5d mkii FOCUSING ISSUE

Ok, just checked how to do it. Live view focusing is correct.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.