Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Redtail
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Hello all, I am considering a couple options.

My wife and I both shoot 40D’s. She is using it with a Canon 100mm Macro (non IS) and I am using mine with the Canon 400L F5.6.

Since we only have 2 bodies, it makes good sense to get a back up especially when we travel. With this in mind, we can get a used 30D, 40D or even 50D for $300-$600. However, we could also get a T3i for $550 or so from B&H. The T3i has a newer sensor than the 40D. Despite the price, would the T3i be an upgrade?? Since my wife shoots mostly flowers, bugs, and butterflies, I wonder if the T3i would be a better camera for her? She is always in some contorted position, trying to get an image of something very close to the ground. It would also give us video. She has small hands and I don’t think the physical size of the camera would be a huge deal to her. I do like shooting the same camera, although sometimes they get swapped and I prefer to shoot mine.

So, the big question for me is if the T3i would be an “upgrade” over the 40D?

Thanks!!!
Bruce

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

If I were you, and I wanted a backup for a 40D, I'd get another 40D. The ergonomics of the XXD bodies are a lot better than the TXi bodies IMO.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:33 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

The T4i has much better auto focus than the T3i.

That solves the one big drawback of the T3i compared to other bodies (It has teh 60D auto focus as far as I understand.)

In addition, it has the touch screen LCD, which is really quite nice. Plus the autofocus during video, face tracking auto focus, and some extra features like hand-held night images (where the camera takes a quick series of 4 images and combines them for less noise), HDR, etc.

It really is quite an upgrade in some ways. Plus you would have fun playing with some of teh new features. The auto focus makes it somewhat useful as a small camcorder for video.

What I look at in deciding to buy is "net cots." Cost of acquisition versus future sale price. You will have to decide that for yourself, but you could look at the price for used T3i as a guide to what the T4i might sell for in 1-2 years.

So if a used T3i is around $500, and you can get the T4i new for around $790 (or less - current Amazon/B&H price.) net cost might be about $200-$290 for 2 years?

Anyway, I really love the T4i. I was planning on using that as my only stills camera, but them I needed the 5D3 for hight ISO/low light shooting - a lot of 6400 ISO+. Otherwise I was quite happy with the T4i. I don't want to oversell it, but I really love it.

Cheers!
Michael

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:11 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Get yourselves a used 5D.

Same lenses, charger and batteries, gives your lenses a new lease of life and means you now have a 40D as a backup.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:13 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

More specific to your requirement:

Redtail wrote:
She is always in some contorted position, trying to get an image of something very close to the ground. It would also give us video. She has small hands

* The articulated screen would be a huge benefit in that situation. I believe that limits you to the 7D, T3i, or T4i. But it really is a great feature. Many people who are used to them would not buy another camera without it.

* Video I believe means the 5DII, 60D, 7DD, T3i, or T4i. (Also T2i, but no articlated screen)

* Small hands also fits the T3i, T4i.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Yes. T3i would be a nice backup and the screen is very handy. IQ will be better than 40d, but build quality, prism and off-center af points will be worse.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:25 PM
Wenchiarts

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

This Spring, I bought a T3i as a backup for my 40D & add-on for my daughter since her 10D died.

I like the Rebel well enough, and I love the IQ and image size, but I hate: the size, feels tiny; controls, too different from my 40D; slow FPS, I find it too slow for my 300 F4 on birds, etc., and also too slow for bugs with my 100 F2.8 non-IS.

I do like the articulating screen, when it's handy, it's very handy.

I like carrying both, T3i with flash brkt and macro, 40D with the 300. The Reb is light enough to always bring with, unless it's too hot or I'm already too gear-heavy.

I wanted another 40D as our new body, but video tipped the balance for her. No complaints with the T3i, nice camera, but for macro & wildlife, which are my everyday interests, I like the 40D better. For walk-around, portraits and not-everyday-carry, she loves the T3i.

If I could do it over, I'd get the 40D, especially since I use the Reb more than she does.

Just my thoughts.
Justin

***Edit***
Someone else made the point about the 5D batteries: T3i batteries and SD cards are different then 40D batteries and CF cards. Also, the T3i battery only lasts about 400-500 shots for me, sometimes less, while my 40D goes 600-1000 depending.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:29 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

@ Redtail

I've had a 40D since 07 and just picked up a used 50D here on FM and do like it; the two bodies share most all accessories, grips, bats, CF cards, etc. The extra MPs are nice but their size does require a bit more effort to keep clean in PP. If you want to dabble in movies you can get Magic Lantern for the 50D...

I do miss an articulated screen like my G12 but absolutely require the bigger body, Rebels feel like toys in my hand; the G12 a tinker toy If size in hand is an issue, I'd suggest the 60D, the only thing I didn't like about it's feel is the multi-function wheel that combines the QCD and joystick...its kinda mussy...otherwise it's a nice mid-sized camera body with the same sensor the T3i and 7D....and it has an articulated screen.

The G12 tinker toy does rock, has great IQ for a P&S...we love it, highly recommended!

Jerry

Edited on Sep 14, 2012 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:44 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Get a G12 if macro is her main thing. Excellent camera for that....slips in the pocket....flip out screen.....otherwise another 40D. These are so cheap at the moment!!

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:45 PM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Wenchiarts wrote:
[snip]
***Edit***
Someone else made the point about the 5D batteries: T3i batteries and SD cards are different then 40D batteries and CF cards. Also, the T3i battery only lasts about 400-500 shots for me, sometimes less, while my 40D goes 600-1000 depending.

True. Especially the media could be a problem, as they aren't interchangeable. Therefore I rather went for 400D (XTi) to be my walkaround/backup camera for my CF-only bodies. It's old, but it's cheap and not bad at all.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

willm02118
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

I "upgraded" my 40D to a T3i. It does feel very different in the hand but I also bought the grip when I want a bigger camera. Since I also have a 1D Mark III, the T3i is my backup camera. I use it mainly around the house for video or outside when I want a very light camera to take with me. IQ is slightly better than the 40D but the bigger file size doesn't really translate to that much more details than my 1D or 40D. Battery is OK. I can always use the grip and two batteries combined when I want more juice. Since my 1D has no video, I am very happy with the T3i serving as a compliment/backup. Of course, if I can could afford a 5D Mark II, I would dump the T3i in a heartbeat.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:56 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

I can easily get 600+ pics out of my T3i battery, and I've gone 1300+ with the aftermarket Photive batteries in a grip that I have. This isn't with a flash however, but with an IS lens and using auto focus. I use a 16 gb SD class 10 card I got from Amazon sandisk extreme II for like $23. It writes fast and I do 6 RAW images in a burst and it takes seconds to clear all 6 onto the card.

If you want to get pics from lower to the ground, the articulating screen would be great. While I'd love to have a 7D or a 5DII or 5DIII (or even a 1DIV) I find that with a good lens you can get amazing photos that do well in larger size prints.

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:57 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

dhphoto wrote:
Get yourselves a used 5D.

Same lenses, charger and batteries, gives your lenses a new lease of life and means you now have a 40D as a backup.

+1

I have shot a 40D alongside a 5Dclassic for about a year and it's very practical regarding batteries/chargers and lens options (FF / 1.6crop).

There is one risk though.......you may find yourself not liking your 40D as much as you did before, once you know the quality of the 5D. You may end up selling your 40D's. Be warned. I sold my 40D a couple of weeks ago because of IQ alone.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Redtail
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Thanks everyone for your input. I have read these and will need to re-read this again to get through all the info!

One question (or 3) at the moment: I'm assuming that the "live-view" through the screen as it is pulled out and tilted still allows for auto focus. On my 40D, if I go into live view, I lose auto focus. This would be a very useful feature.

No auto focus or zooming in video mode would probably be a deal buster. We would not use video that much, but it would be nice. I like to video the family singing happy birthday and stuff like that. Does it auto focus in video? Can you zoom in Video?

Bruce

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Redtail wrote:
One question (or 3) at the moment:

1) I'm assuming that the "live-view" through the screen as it is pulled out and tilted still allows for auto focus.

2) Does it auto focus in video?

3) Can you zoom in Video?

Yes to all 3.

On the T4i, you can have continous auto focus during video. Or you can do a 1/2 press of the shutter to "force" auto focus. Or touch the LCD anywhere in the scene and have it shift auto focus. Even with the LCD articulated on the back. Also during Live View, touch focus for macro spot, etc.

On the T3i, you can refocus with a 1/2 press on the shutter button only.

Video auto focus will look much, much nicer on the T4i with the newer Canon 40 mm and 18-135 mmm STM lenses.

They feature a "stepping motor" that cycles through to find focus in a step pattern, near to far or whatever is required. Versus old style USM auto focus, which can hunt quickly far to near and back, which can be very disturbing in video.

Good luck!
Michael

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:24 AM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

I notice you prefer features over IQ. And with good reason. Of course a 5D doesn't have LiveView at all and no video. Your 40D can perform autofocus when in LiveView, be it with a slap of the mirror, but of course you know that.

You could stretch for a used 5DmkII: video, excellent IQ, Live View. No AF during LiveView though.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Redtail
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

This always happens. I start looking the camera (or lens) that is within my price range and then I get convinced that I need a better one, but the better one is not within my budget. So, I end up getting nothing!

IQ is ultimately the most important thing, so that is the first question. Is the IQ of the sensor on the T3i as good as or better than that of the 40D? Then there are other factors that come into play in real application (as opposed to test environment). Most apparent to me is the usefulness of the swivel screen and ability to use autofocus in live view. Probably the next most obvious factor is the quality/accuracy of the autofocus. With macro work, accuracy of autofocus is critical with very low depth of field.

While we do not do much video recording, I could see my wife really getting into it, if she had a quality recorder. We had an old camcorder that broke years ago and every so often we think we would love to have something new. But! I wonder if a newer P&S would fit that need. Not sure.... I will have to consider the T4i.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:27 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Redtail wrote:
This always happens. I start looking the camera (or lens) that is within my price range and then I get convinced that I need a better one, but the better one is not within my budget. So, I end up getting nothing!
Well there really is a camera in your price range. Read on.

IQ is ultimately the most important thing, so that is the first question.
Then for your budget, a used 5D classic is the obvious choice. Can be had for just $500 and it's excellent value, especially if you find a MINT low actuation sample.

While we do not do much video recording, I could see my wife really getting into it, if she had a quality recorder. We had an old camcorder that broke years ago and every so often we think we would love to have something new. But! I wonder if a newer P&S would fit that need. Not sure.... I will have to consider the T4i.
Lots of P&S cameras do video these days. Yes a dslr will do better, but it's up to you if you need better video and willing to sacrifice stills IQ.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Redtail wrote:
Is the IQ of the sensor on the T3i as good as or better than that of the 40D?

Yes. It is the same sensor as the 7D.

A new T4i runs from about $720 on eBay to $780 at Amazon.

Best,
Michael

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Redtail
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 40D vs T3i - Upgrade or backup

Ok, Now I'm really considering the T4i. While we do some landscape, where full sensor is awesome, I think the non crop would be a missed.

Cost wise it is about 200 more. Now, should I get the body only or so general walk around lens Hummmm...

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password