Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Newb here

Nickyb21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newb here

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself since I'm a newbie. Name is Nick, 24 yrs old and I have 0 prior experience. I just purchased a D3100 kit with the 18-55mm stock lens and I've always wanted to learn more about photography.... Well now that I'm older and have a couple of bucks laying around, I can finally pursue my interests. Inn the process of purchasing http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1146930 a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR since it seemed like a good deal, plus i needed a 200mm. I've been reading a lot on my spare time and learning everything I can, I also might take a few classes as well. I attached two pictures of my dog that I took the first day I got it, unedited, jpeg format. If you have any links or could spare any wisdom, i would love to learn!

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:01 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newb here

welcome, gorgeous pooch...for starters I suggest reading the manual, and then read it ten more times...I was so intimidated when I got my D90 but just kept studying and practicing until the light bulbs started going off...then got a D700 and have gotten better and better...enjoy it, that's what it's all about!

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newb here

You might want to post on the "Photo Critique" forum. There's a good group of folks that will give more advice than you want...;..

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:39 PM
RDParker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newb here

Hey!
What's your dags name? Check this link if you haven't already seen it-

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100/users-guide/index.htm

It can cut to the chase on some things compared to the Nikon manual.

Buy a prime lens, lots of decent not too expensive ones out there

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766516-USA/Nikon_2199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

I'm not sure that the last one (non-G) will auto focus on the D3100.

Put your 18-55 to 35mm and shoot for awhile, then move to 50mm and repeat, see

which you prefer. What the primes will get you is the ability to shoot in way lower

light than the 18-55 or 55-200, and more than likely better IQ.

Last money saving tip- SKIP USING FILTERS, imho they degrade IQ, use a hood or

just be careful with the business end.

I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me for directing you to KR.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:48 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newb here

I highly recommend Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography" series. There are four books, but the first two are the most helpful. They are nice because they are about the "how" not the "why", which keeps it simple to start.

Once you've digested that, read Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" which will explain a lot of the "why's" reading and using the information in the first book will generate.

Good luck and have fun!

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:56 PM
ATL Jack

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newb here

I 2nd Kelbys Digital Photography (I only read the first book). Moreover, I cant say enough about Understanding Exposure. I am the type that likes to just jump in and not read an instructional book, but I have to say that Understanding Exposure is definitely worth spending a little time with. Its easy to read and will teach you everything you need to know to get started in photography.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:15 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newb here

Welcome - good advice so far...

My advice - shop used for bargains as you build up your kit, unless you are the type of person that has to have everything new and with a warranty. Boston has a very active photo section on craig's list.

For another lens to try, can't really go wrong with the newer 50mm f1.8G, it's cheap and fast (much bigger maximum aperture than your two zooms to let you shoot in lower light), and is a great length for portraits on DX format cameras. Or if you want something a bit wider, you can always pick up a 35 1.8G for well under $200 too.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:12 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newb here

I highly recommend joining a local camera club - great resource for learning photography!

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:28 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newb here

workerdrone wrote:
Welcome - good advice so far...

My advice - shop used for bargains as you build up your kit, unless you are the type of person that has to have everything new and with a warranty. Boston has a very active photo section on craig's list.

For another lens to try, can't really go wrong with the newer 50mm f1.8G, it's cheap and fast (much bigger maximum aperture than your two zooms to let you shoot in lower light), and is a great length for portraits on DX format cameras. Or if you want something a bit wider, you can always pick
...Show more

I agree with this, though I personally prefer the 35 1.8 over the 50. They are both terrific

A big +1 on using the Buy/Sell here - has saved me big.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newb here

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions! I will take it all in and try to learn and retain as much as possible. I will be getting at least 1 prime, looking at a 35mm f/1.8 DX lens. My mom is getting married in March and wanted a few shots (Very small wedding, just wanted a few decent pictures, she knows I have 0 experience) so I think that would do well.

Would you guys recommend me getting the 55-200 or should I focus on the primes first. My biggest thing is with the 55, I just cant get the right zoom I need.

I don't mind buying used either, so I can already see my collection growing with the savings on this site. I try to take my camera everywhere I go also, (besides my daily commute and shenanigans lol)

thanks again guys!

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:59 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newb here

A lot depends on what kind of photography you want to do - that 18-55 and 55-200 are great complements to each other and will give you a kit that will kick the butt of any point and shoot if your goal is just to get good quality snapshots and cover a good range with a light, inexpensive kit.

Add a light prime for low light shooting and depth of field play and you might be done. No sense in spending $1k to $10k on a pro lens or upgraded body until you know why it's worth it to you and what you're going to do with it.

Good suggestion above - spend some time looking through your 18-55 at both 35 and 50mm to see what prime you might want to start out with

Oh, and nice pooch - shepherds are my favorite. I already like how you didn't just stick him in the center of the image - more interesting that way.

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newb here

Thanks! I forgot to mention, her name is Zoey and she is a Belgian Malinois/GSD mix that I rescued a few months ago. She very photogenic so I'm sure you'll be seeing plenty of her on the forum haha

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newb here

Light, Science, Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting was my book of choice.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Newb here

What type of lenses would you guys be looking for if you were in my shoes. Been looking at a used Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 in the fs section for $75 shipped and it seems like a really good lens. Opinions?

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:17 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Newb here

depends almost entirely on what kind of photography you want to do - landscapes? portraits? wildlife? macro? low-light and street shooting?

do your research on any used lenses, that one will obviously not AF but may not even meter on your body (you would need a light meter used separately to get correct exposures, and have your camera in full manual mode)

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Newb here

Everything, I want to learn it all and have the ability to shoot what I need. I love macro shots but seeing some of the setups and prices, I need an alternative lol. The least amount would be portraits but I will be shooting my mothers wedding in March (really small JP wedding nothing crazy and she knows I have little experience, just wants a couple decent shots) and I'll be going on vacation soon which will include wildlife and landscapes. I hike with my dog and GF every other weekend and take shots there also. Haven't don't any street shots yet but ill probably be doing that.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:39 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Newb here

Ok well that doesn't make it much easier...

Speaking for myself, if had your kit I'd only feel held back by lack of a fast prime and an off camera flash. Those would be my first two additional purchases. If you want to play with some more reach a 55-200 will amuse you for cheap, and, bought used, should be free when you sell it later for the same $. Macro is a lot of fun and autofocus really isn't necessary for it, so maybe an older macro lens (but not so old that it won't meter on your camera) for cheap.

Then I'd want to learn all the basics cold, and spend a lot of time shooting. Try to wear out that 3100, and get to the point where you're having fun making better pictures than folks with more $ than skill, the ones producing snapshots with $5000+ rigs. Wait, that could be me haha.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Newb here

Haha thanks man! I appreciate the wisdom. I did end up buying the 55-200 i posted earlier and waiting for it in the mail now. I'll hold off on buying other lenses for now, maybe run a monopole and a flash. I guess my next lens will be a prime as I've been eyeballing a 35mm f/1.8 dx.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password