Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

rabbitmountain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

I ordered a used 5DmkII, 14000 actuations. This is my first camera body with AF Micro Adjustment feature. So I can set the correct adjustment myself. My question is, whether or not I should send it in to CPS anyway along with my lenses for calibration.

I'm a silver member, so it doesn't cost me money. But I will have to go through the fuzz of packaging, sending costs, and I will have no camera and lenses for about one week. So it is a bit inconvenient.

CPS advises me to do it, but it's an independent company that works for Canon so they benefit from my clientele.

I'll do it, if you would think it's worthwhile.

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

I went to cps when I purchased my 5D II because my 70-200 4.0 was not any longer on spot. They found out that camera needed a calibration (for free, because of warranty) but mentioned that this happened the first time to a 5D II body for them. After I only had a problem with the Sigma 1.4 (who had not?). 70-200 2.8 L, 100 Macro L, 24-105 L worked perfect.

If you do not worry the work and do not have use a second body, your lenses work already perfect with, I would send them in for calibration.

5D IIs MA is fixed to one setting. That often does not work with zooms. You calibrate it for the near end and it might not be in focus at infinity. There is a cause why they changed it to multiple MA with 5D III and 1D X.

Ralph

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:53 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #3 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Well a couple of weeks ago, CPS calibrated my 5D classic with all of my lenses. Now I have this (to me) new 5DmkII. So I do have a second body, but if I send in the 5DmkII, along go all of my lenses so I'll be stuck without equipment no matter how I do it.

But based upon your input, I will go and do it just to be sure it works perfectly. I'm trying to run a photography business so I can't afford to have to fiddle with equipment. Getting clients is difficult enough in this day and age.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:04 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #4 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

How do most of your lenses look on the the 5D2?

I'd say if most lenses look sharp, then I'd AF Micro Adjust the few that look a little off. If all your lenses seem soft, then I'd probably send it. Also, if all seem soft, there is that possibility that your 5Dc is a little off & they calibrated your lenses to that body so you may want to send that body in with the other gear as well....unfortunately.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:24 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I'm a silver member, so it doesn't cost me money.

It doesn't cost anything to get ALL your gear checked?

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Chances are the camera is just fine. Get out there and enjoy it rather than worrying about the the possible imperfection of your gear. Many photographers these days are so preoccupied with the absolute technical perfection of their gear that they lose sight of the important things --- such as being able to take a good photo.

Edited on Sep 14, 2012 at 03:11 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Ben Horne wrote:
Many photographers these days are so preoccupied with the absolute technical perfection of their gear that they loose sight of the important things --- such as being able to take a good photo.

Can we nominate that as the quote of the year ?

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:03 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

AGeoJO wrote:
Can we nominate that as the quote of the year ?

Amen.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Several years back, I did loose sight of photography and focused too much on the gear end, I have to admit. I made quite a progress of getting away from that but still, even until now, although significantly less often and less severe, I got caught up in that situation. I would say that that quote transcends even brand boundaries. It should be posted each time on all Canon vs Nikon threads .

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:20 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #10 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

surf monkey wrote:
It doesn't cost anything to get ALL your gear checked?

That is correct. As a silver member I can have all my cameras sensor cleaned, calibrate my lenses to them as long as each unit is not sent in more than twice a year. Isn't that the case in your country?

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #11 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

gvg45 wrote:
How do most of your lenses look on the the 5D2?

I'd say if most lenses look sharp, then I'd AF Micro Adjust the few that look a little off. If all your lenses seem soft, then I'd probably send it. Also, if all seem soft, there is that possibility that your 5Dc is a little off & they calibrated your lenses to that body so you may want to send that body in with the other gear as well....unfortunately.

I expect the body to be delivered tomorrow and I will check how my lenses perform. If everything works just fine I won't send them in until I find there is a reason for it.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #12 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Ben Horne wrote:
Chances are the camera is just fine. Get out there and enjoy it rather than worrying about the the possible imperfection of your gear. Many photographers these days are so preoccupied with the absolute technical perfection of their gear that they lose sight of the important things --- such as being able to take a good photo.

Hi Ben,
I appreciate your advice! I think it's a wise thing to say, even more so when a photographer is caught up in technical details and prefers to do so instead of making actual photographs.
I do happen to think one can do both and needs to do both. As a working pro, I need my gear like a tool. I am shooting for money, also the last couple of days. I also think it's wise to get the most out of one's gear, but more importantly, it is wise to make sure the gear is something I don't need to think about, so I can focus on my assignments. To illustrate, I did a job last night where I needed my 580EXII on a stand. After not shooting for a couple of minutes, the flash turned off automatically and I needed to turn the power switch back and forth the whole night. So I need to dig in the manual to see how I can prevent this from happening the next time.

I'm a perfectionist in general, but for my business I'm a realist and get whatever gets the job done. In my case, at present, that means I didn't leap for a 5DmkIII, but ordered a used 5DmkII because I think it will get my job done easily.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:38 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #13 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Ben Horne wrote:

Awesome!!!! I totally agree. That fits me unfortunately... It's a nasty addiction. This constant AFMA.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

I just got a new 5D II, and I haven't seen a need so far for calibration. But it is so recent that I haven't tested fully the way I will now since MFA calibration is now an option. Also, mine is new (though two of my lenses are 23 years old); I'd be more ready to test sooner if the camera were used.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:54 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #15 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

rabbitmountain wrote:
That is correct. As a silver member I can have all my cameras sensor cleaned, calibrate my lenses to them as long as each unit is not sent in more than twice a year. Isn't that the case in your country?

CPS in the U.S. only gives 6 total clean/checks for Platinum, 2 for Gold and zero for Silver.
Not per item, but total. If I wanted to get 2 bodies & 4 lenses checked I would have to pay for 4 items with my Gold membership.
How much does the Silver membership cost in the Netherlands?

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:56 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

I would not put my gear through the risk of shipping, handling, etc. unnecessarily. So my vote is shoot first, ask questions later.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I ordered a used 5DmkII, 14000 actuations. This is my first camera body with AF Micro Adjustment feature. So I can set the correct adjustment myself. My question is, whether or not I should send it in to CPS anyway along with my lenses for calibration.

I'm a silver member, so it doesn't cost me money. But I will have to go through the fuzz of packaging, sending costs, and I will have no camera and lenses for about one week. So it is a bit inconvenient.

CPS advises me to do it, but it's an independent company that works for Canon
...Show more

Ralph, it's worth it to have CPS calibrate all your lenses with 5D2. I prefer MA setting = 0, this way you don't have dof problem when focusing in variable distance. You won't loose anything if no charge. Highly recommend it...make sure to get all lenses focus with zero MA preset or within +/- 4 setting. Just pack them well before shipping....

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #18 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

surf monkey wrote:
CPS in the U.S. only gives 6 total clean/checks for Platinum, 2 for Gold and zero for Silver.
Not per item, but total. If I wanted to get 2 bodies & 4 lenses checked I would have to pay for 4 items with my Gold membership.
How much does the Silver membership cost in the Netherlands?

Ehmmmmm......errrr......it's free actually. I qualified for silver because I had 3 lenses and 2 cameras that were in the qualifying lists. Got my CPS card home within 6 weeks and now I have these benefits.

However, CPS in the Netherlands doesn't loan gear to working pros. I heard they do so in the U.S.

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:13 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #19 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

@Michelle: yes that's what I intend to do. However, I never shipped any gear to anywhere ever. I always take my car or take the train to deliver and pickup myself.

@Michael:
I think there is something to lose in general, because we also hear reports of CPS making things worse sometimes.

@All:
CPS did a great job on my 5D though, and they also managed to get my Ee-S focusing screen working very well without changing the washers/shims. That was a real surprise to me.

@Monito:
Yes I understand, I would do the same as you with a brand new body. This copy being used, even though it only has 15000 actuations, I will make sure it is in spec within 2 weeks because if it isn't that's the time frame I have to test and send back if necessary. I had a bad experience with the 1DsmkII last month, so I will make sure everything works as it should.

Edited on Sep 14, 2012 at 05:25 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:20 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · New Canon 5DmkII: to calibrate or not to calibrate?

Please note:

With MAF system, your final focal plane is some where at 1/3 dof +/- 1/8(MA) and MA is not constant and it can be varied depending on your subject test distance. Another word MA is a function of dof which is a function of subject distance. So if one of your lens requires more than +/- 4 MA setting then there is a dof risk in distance focusing.

Also you might want VF be calibrated to match with its AF so you can use with Eg-s focusing screen as well?

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password