Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · City of Pittsburgh - Criticism Welcome

CoreyMcD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · City of Pittsburgh - Criticism Welcome

Hi everyone. I'm still pretty new to photography. I've only been taking pictures like this for fun for about a year and a half. These are about 3 months old, but I was looking back at them, and wanted to upload them.

I would appreciate tips on stopping the colors of the sunrise from being washed out, while still keeping the water and buildings a bit brighter. I know this can be achieved with photoshop after taking both over and under exposed pictures, but I would like some help with making the exposures better straight away, rather than in post.
( All images taken with Rebel T3i )

#4- Good example of colorful clouds/ sky, but dark buildings

#5- Where here, the clouds are bit washed out, but the buildings are fine.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Joshua Lee

p.1 #2 · City of Pittsburgh - Criticism Welcome

Unfortunately, the DR (dynamic range) of a backlit cityscape at dusk is simply beyond the capabilities of the current sensors in our cameras. In scenes like these, I like to wait unit about 15-30 minutes AFTER the sun has set, then expose for the buildings and let the sky sort of "burn" in, as opposed to washing out during pre-sunset shots.

I know you mentioned you wanted to avoid working in post, however HDR is a good option for scenes such as these.

(Mt. Washington is such a cool place .... the wife is a native of the 'burgh)

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:24 AM
CoreyMcD

p.1 #3 · City of Pittsburgh - Criticism Welcome

Thanks for the help.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:40 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password