New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

recordproducti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

I managed to at long last get a 135 f/2 DC last week and am a bit concerned at the amount of purple fringing with wide apertures that I'm getting. Is this to be expected?

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:28 PM
james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

recordproducti wrote:
I managed to at long last get a 135 f/2 DC last week and am a bit concerned at the amount of purple fringing with wide apertures that I'm getting. Is this to be expected?

Chromatic abberation. Correct is Lightroom or Camera Raw.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:55 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

recordproducti wrote:

yes, that's normal for any lenses without any ED or AS elements.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:00 PM
recordproducti
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

Correcting in LR etc isn't too difficult but I wasn't sure if copious amounts of it were standard and not a sign of a problem. Thanks for your input.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:35 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

As Mshi stated, it ss pretty normal for wide open work with fast lenses like the 105 and 135 with the "older" type glass and construction.

Is more pronounced in strong/bright lighting with high contrast, so you can control it to some esxtent by watching your subject and background lighting levels.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

The current, much-praised Zeiss ZF100/2 Makro has the dreaded purple fringing at the wider apertures...your lens is not alone!

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

recordproducti wrote:
Correcting in LR etc isn't too difficult but I wasn't sure if copious amounts of it were standard and not a sign of a problem. Thanks for your input.

Well, there might be an issue with definitions. I have both the 105 and 135 DC and both will exhibit purple fringing to certain degrees, depending on the circumstances. But, I wouldn't describe either of them as having copious amounts as a normal state. Maybe on the absolute worst examples.

I don't recall ever having seen much at all, in my normal shooting with the lenses. But, the first time I put them on the Lens Align targets, I was really shocked at the amount of CA that showed up.

The question, at least in my mind, is whether or not you're seeing it all of the time, under what lighting conditions. IIRC, the only time I see it to any significant degree, is in harsh light with a very high DR scene.

Kerry

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:49 PM
anomalyconcept

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 135 f/2 - Purple Fringing

I used to take snapshots of birds outside my window (which probably didn't help) and the small branches/twigs would have horrendous fringing from the bright sky in the background.

It still shows up in normal shooting, just not as pronounced since the lighting and contrast isn't usually backlit and quite as harsh.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.