Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · DPP and what?

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · DPP and what?

I rather liked ACDSee when I used it.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · DPP and what?

LR4 + CS6 FTW!

DPP - WTF?

YMMV

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · DPP and what?

molson wrote:
LR4 + CS6 FTW! ...DPP - WTF? ...YMMV

DHFDC.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · DPP and what?

WX2PaFFD

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:00 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #5 · DPP and what?

I still am waiting for a 64bit, multi-processor, multi-threaded version of DPP

DPP gives the best colors and conversions of any RAW converter I have tried

use DPP "transfer to photoshop" on occasion when I need to do something special to the image

Edited on Sep 25, 2012 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:09 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · DPP and what?

abqnmusa wrote:
...I still hope for a 64bit, multi-processor, multi-threaded version of DPP

That would be nice, but I won't hold my breath while waiting. Considering that DPP is free, I think it's pretty darned good as it is.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:24 AM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.2 #7 · DPP and what?

Lightroom vote here. Been using it since it hit the ground and absolutely love it.

I do most of my post work in LR (you can pretty much do it all in LR), but I do my sharpening (and fussy adjustments if an image needs it) in PS.

I also have far too many actions to ditch PS entirely.

DPP is useless for batch processing, imo. If I shoot a dog trial, it would take me forever to process them all with DPP. With LR, it only takes a few hours using the sync function.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:32 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · DPP and what?

Lance Couture wrote:
DPP is useless for batch processing, imo. If I shoot a dog trial, it would take me forever to process them all with DPP. With LR, it only takes a few hours using the sync function.

Perhaps you are not aware of the Copy and Paste Recipe feature of DPP? It's like "Sync Settings".

Also, DPP is nicely capable of running batches in parallel and is smart enough to use two cores for each batch.

I can split a big job of batching out JPEGs from Raws into three parallel (simultaneous) batches and keep all six cores here humming. (I don't think you can do that in Lightroom.)

Efficient.

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:02 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #9 · DPP and what?

this is how you speed up DPP batch processing:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-DPP.html

that works for windows as well

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · DPP and what?

Lance Couture wrote:

Did you know that you can click on multiple pictures that require a similar treatment (say a contrast boost) and the tool palette slider will affect all of them simultaneously, in sync?

Makes for fast work.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lance Couture
• • • •
p.2 #11 · DPP and what?

Monito wrote:
Did you know that you can click on multiple pictures that require a similar treatment (say a contrast boost) and the tool palette slider will affect all of them simultaneously, in sync?

Makes for fast work.

Is this a recent feature of DPP?

I dont think there was this feature when I started using LR several years ago, and if it did exist, it wasnt obvious.

Personally, I'm too entrenched in LR/PS to change to DPP now, but good to know.

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:46 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · DPP and what?

It's been a feature of DPP for as long as I can remember, I'm guessing since the 20D came out which is when I began using it. I could be wrong, but my impression is I've always used it.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #13 · DPP and what?

I've been playing around with DXO - it seems to be very effective and easy to use. Maybe all I need is DXO and a raw viewer??

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:00 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #14 · DPP and what?

This is a well done ebook on DPP ....

http://www.andrewsgibson.com/blog/understanding-dpp/

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Lan11
• •
p.2 #15 · DPP and what?

Try Hasselblad Phocus. The price is unlike Lunar - it is free : -)
It supports all cameras Apple Apertude does. I like it a lot. There few features which work only with Hassy cameras, but everything I need is there, the convertions are excellent and the UI is excellent and intuitive. I stopped using LR because of the archiving method.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · DPP and what?

I like the combo of Aperture 3 and CS5, with a suite of Topaz plugins. Pretty much covers every PP need I can imagine.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #17 · DPP and what?

Thanks all. This has been helpful.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Bruce n Philly
• •
p.2 #18 · DPP and what?

What the heck, I will throw in my amateur opinion....

I am a flaming amateur, shoot only RAW, and used DPP for a few years. I purchased the add-in DPP++ and liked a few of its features.

I used LR3 and now LR4. I love it and will not go back to DPP however I can not get used to its library/file management approach of LR. For whatever stupid reasons, I want to reorganize my disk drives and folders every once in a while and it has been a nightmare for me in LR.

You really need to plan ahead regarding how you want to organize your drives, folder structures, and then your RAWs. For example, I started organizing by place I shot (birds and wildlife locations). Then, I evolved to want to organize by species of bird or animal. YIKES.

So what I do now... sometimes..... is take my dump of RAW files for the day and browse them in DPP, then move them to specially named folders. Then I open LR4 and import them by folder. I shouldn't have to do this.

Can someone point me to a tutorial that can help me deal with this mess I made and keep making?

Oh, for layers etc, I use Corel's PaintShop Pro on JPGs.... it is cheap and works really well on JPGs but their RAW interpreter was not as good as LR in its older versions... not sure about its latest but I am so impressed with LR4 that I don't care. I use Corel simply because I started out on it a long time ago, I don't use it much, and Photoshop is way to expensive for the little I do with Layers and JPGs.

Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:49 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #19 · DPP and what?

Does LR have dodge and burn? Is elements really 8 bit? If so Id probably just use gimp. The only reason I dont use it is 8 bit.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:29 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #20 · DPP and what?

Dpp has batch processing.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:30 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password